Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Such that it is actually searchable text - one of the important changes to the Aeroplan program in 2019 for Super Elites:

New for Air Canada Altitude Super Elite 100K members: Complimentary changes and refunds
Beginning July 15, 2019, Air Canada Super Elite 100K members will no longer be charged a fee when they request a change to their Flight Reward booking. Additionally, these members will also no longer be charged a fee to refund their bookings. These fee waivers will apply to all bookings, including those made prior to the new policy coming into effect.

Read the below screenshots for the rest.

July 15 2019
"AEROPLAN FLIGHT REWARDS: NOW WITH MORE FLEXIBILITY AND PEACE-OF-MIND"

https://www.aeroplan.com/whats_new/news_articles.do?dl=WhatsNew_WEBUP31000285_2019_07 _15¤tLanguage=en

New chart with fees in this post

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31306687-post1334.html

Older news releases from 2017 below

Air Canada "What You Need to Know"

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...d-to-know.html

Air Canada Press Release May 11, 2017

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1135

Aeroplan News "To Our Valued Members" - May 11, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/whats_new/...New_2017_05_09

Aeroplan & Air Canada update

We'd like to help our members understand the latest news about our partner, Air Canada.

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-...id=BAN30000311

From Aeroplan - UPDATE May 31, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-and-aeroplan-update.do

Aeroplan Saga Ends in a Long, Financial Detour:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle35080509/

August 11 2017

"We're on solid ground so your plans can take flight."

https://www.aeroplan.com/program-updates.do?currentLanguage=en&cid=008692096

"Five things you need to know about your miles"

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

September 19, 2017 - Investor Day Presentation

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

//
Print Wikipost

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
"Why Did You Offer Me a Deal on Tires when I don't Have a Car?"

Why Did You Send me an Offer for Tango Fares When I don't Buy Them?

Why Do You Think Valentine's Day is a Reason to Buy an Airline Ticket?

.....and my personal favorite when buying a one-way ticket on AC or Aeroplan for a routing that is the destination to home, with offers for hotels in the city where I live. Seems to me "it" should know I don't need a hotel or car rental at home. And yes, I'm sure at least one of you will give me a reason why these offers make sense.
We have to make a choice when it comes to corporate insight into our personal details. Sure, the Googles and Facebooks of the world can amass data based upon our internet searches/social media posts and 'learn' where we live, when/where we travel, whether we own a credit card, a vehicle, kids, pets, wear dentures or have bladder control issues.

How much would you like Air Canada to know?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
We have to make a choice when it comes to corporate insight into our personal details. Sure, the Googles and Facebooks of the world can amass data based upon our internet searches/social media posts and 'learn' where we live, when/where we travel, whether we own a credit card, a vehicle, kids, pets, wear dentures or have bladder control issues.

It's not about how much we'd like them to know, but how much they already know.

My Altitude profile has my address. It also has my status.

They know I don't need MLL access. They know I don't need a hotel in SFO.

No one is advocating for giving them more information, just for using the information they already have.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:21 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

AC can already do a much better job with what data it has, such as not trying to sell lounge access to SEs and not offering us hotel deals for the cities in which we live.

Once they make productive use of that data, we can have a conversation about whether we want to share more with them in order to truly enhance our experiences.
canadiancow and YYC3722 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
They know I don't need MLL access.
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
AC can already do a much better job with what data it has, such as not trying to sell lounge access to SEs
Sure, gents, but I wasn't discussing lounge access; I was replying to 24left, who discussed such things as tire deals, Tango fares and car rentals.
I suspect the airline website algorithms in place are designed to offer accommodation & transport options at the selected destination, without being cross-referenced against the traveler's home address. I also suspect they're built to up-sell every booking, without factoring in whether or not you're already entitled to benefits such as lounge access. I'd warn against lamenting an IT system that doesn't fully grasp your personal and specific information and go on to make its own assumptions.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Sure, gents, but I wasn't discussing lounge access; I was replying to 24left, who discussed such things as tire deals, Tango fares and car rentals.
Thanks, exactly.

Since some may have miss some of the points I made yesterday, I'll bring it all together

Great points here, thanks

It's not just the analytics, IMHO.

Well before AC announced the 2020 changes, and elsewhere on this forum, I asked the questions about why e-mail blasts and offers are sent out that are not likely to motivate spend or increase spend. An example of this were promo offers for Tango. I realize this fare class might be the lowest common denominator, but if you have a subset of customers whose purchasing behavior shows Business, Latitude or even Flex for example, why would AC send them an offer for a discount on Tango?

If you have an AC customer who never, ever bought anything from ACV, why would you spend money to produce a magazine on nice stock and pay for mailing, when that customer has never purchased anything from ACV or has not purchased Sun destinations that have included an add-on hotel purchase?

It's not just AC and it's not just airlines. I have a colleague who is baffled why he receives emails from his preferred airlines for Valentine's Day "sales" or promos. He asked me why companies would assume everyone is interested in Valentine's Day, why these companies would assume a fare offer with a title including that day, would motivate most people to buy.

I have another associate who does not have kids and wonders why he gets offers from hotels for Family Day events.

This is my industry and my years of experience lead me to conclude that many companies often lack the innovative ideas and perhaps the really sophisticated consumer data, and instead, just throw stuff out there on the assumption that some recipients will buy some of it.

I would rather Air Canada have an excellent website, a significantly better than ugh UI, a more responsive and consistent customer service, a USP that will motivate upsell and more add-on purchases. Maybe they think they do. I am well aware there are members on this forum who know more about what AC does than I do. I just offer my POV based on my experience from the offers I see or receive.

I forgot to include the wear-out factor. I was just scrolling through the inbox, looking at offers and such from AC, Aeroplan and various other airlines & FFPs, hotels, and other businesses. It seems I've ignored them. And of course, they are sent out at little cost to the companies.

I once used this line in a client presentations: "Why Did You Offer Me a Deal on Tires when I don't Have a Car?"

.....and my personal favorite when buying a one-way ticket on AC or Aeroplan for a routing that is the destination to home, with offers for hotels in the city where I live. Seems to me "it" should know I don't need a hotel or car rental at home. And yes, I'm sure at least one of you will give me a reason why these offers make sense.

So, despite privacy legislation, any company including AC, Aeroplan and the partner banks (for the purpose of this conversation) already have mucho info on everyone. Read the user agreements. When these guys "cross-polinate", they have enough info already to know why NOT to send out messages and fancy mailings to someone who is not likely to respond especially based on previous purchase behavior.

And yes, I'm very well aware there is the "Do you want fries with that" concept, upsell add-ons.

But, when I buy a J ticket, why do I see a message about Bid-upgrades?
When I buy one-way Air Canada or Aeroplan tickets returning to my home, why am I receiving those hotel offers?
I bought a Tango and the offers for On My Way and MLL access were appropriate for the fare perhaps, but the MLL offer was not given my status.

Anyway, we are kind of going in circles and many of us are saying the same things, just expressing them differently.

​​​​​​​
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA, AC
I forgot to include the wear-out factor. I was just scrolling through the inbox, looking at offers and such from AC, Aeroplan and various other airlines & FFPs, hotels, and other businesses. It seems I've ignored them. And of course, they are sent out at little cost to the companies.

I once used this line in a client presentations: "Why Did You Offer Me a Deal on Tires when I don't Have a Car?"

Don't most people do as I have done and simply opt out of receiving these emails? It's been years since I've received one. By bombarding me with irrelevant messages they've eliminated a channel through which they might notify me of an offer that I'd actually be interested in.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by After Burner
Don't most people do as I have done and simply opt out of receiving these emails? It's been years since I've received one. By bombarding me with irrelevant messages they've eliminated a channel through which they might notify me of an offer that I'd actually be interested in.
I don't pay attention to them, but hearing of actually good things here, its nice to have in the archive.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by After Burner
My e-mail program (Outlook) figures out I ignore such things and automatically moves them to a folder called clutter. It then send me an e-mail to tell me about all the things it moved to clutter, which I appropriately ignore. The odd time it moves something I care about. Then I go look in clutter and am amazed at the number of e-mail from AC (and princes and lawyer representing the estates of dead royalty from African nations).

The whole point of analytics is all that info gets pushed into the model and from the magic of statistics it determines a low correlation between selecting hotels in close proximity to your home. Go figure. So instead if offers limo rides since there is a higher correlation.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heraclitus
Don't look now, but last time I checked, Aimia's shares were trading at $4.30, which is nearly triple where they were at their nadir in June. Granted it's still a long way off from the $9.00 or so they were trading at before May 11 when AC made its announcement and the AE deathwatch began.
Here we go, again. $1.82.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle37991261/
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Ouch but some interesting points.

The Paradox of Aeroplan's Survivalist Mentality - Live and Let's Fly

Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Any speculation as to what bank AC will partner with when introducing a new CC for their program? I know it's still a long way out, but seems to me as though CIBC would be a natural choice. I doubt TD will want to break with Aeroplan so quickly and will probably be a bit more aggressive with their card benefits when trying to keep people in the program closer to the switch. I also think National Bank might be interesting as a secondary issuer given their strong Quebec presence and the AC HQ in YUL. National bank has had a weak credit card portfolio for as long as I can remember.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by jcamp028
Any speculation as to what bank AC will partner with when introducing a new CC for their program? I know it's still a long way out, but seems to me as though CIBC would be a natural choice. I doubt TD will want to break with Aeroplan so quickly and will probably be a bit more aggressive with their card benefits when trying to keep people in the program closer to the switch. I also think National Bank might be interesting as a secondary issuer given their strong Quebec presence and the AC HQ in YUL. National bank has had a weak credit card portfolio for as long as I can remember.
Whoever will pay them the most. This was RFPed last year, and there was significant interest from both domestic and international banks.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I have the same question. I'm not sure whether CIBC would be a good choice for AC as CIBC has lost a lot of market share especially when TD took the aeroplan program. The point of AC divorcing AP is to collect data. Not sure CIBC would be the best choice for that. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if TD drops AP after 2019. What's the point of keeping a CC program thats falling to pieces? And even if TD keeps the AP program, why not also court AC over. It doesn't matter how many points TD & AP offers you for a sign up bonus when those points are going to be devalued. I'm currently a TD AP CC holder and I'm contemplating going to AMEX or keeping both. Keep the TD AP Visa for places that don't take AMEX and use my AMEX as my main point collection card.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by jcamp028
I don't see why TD and AMEX wouldn't go back in.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Only reason I’m keeping my TD AP card at the moment is because it’s free with the bank account. Agree that Ac will likely be aggressive in courting international banks as well given their expansion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.