Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Such that it is actually searchable text - one of the important changes to the Aeroplan program in 2019 for Super Elites:

New for Air Canada Altitude Super Elite 100K members: Complimentary changes and refunds
Beginning July 15, 2019, Air Canada Super Elite 100K members will no longer be charged a fee when they request a change to their Flight Reward booking. Additionally, these members will also no longer be charged a fee to refund their bookings. These fee waivers will apply to all bookings, including those made prior to the new policy coming into effect.

Read the below screenshots for the rest.

July 15 2019
"AEROPLAN FLIGHT REWARDS: NOW WITH MORE FLEXIBILITY AND PEACE-OF-MIND"

https://www.aeroplan.com/whats_new/news_articles.do?dl=WhatsNew_WEBUP31000285_2019_07 _15¤tLanguage=en

New chart with fees in this post

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31306687-post1334.html

Older news releases from 2017 below

Air Canada "What You Need to Know"

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...d-to-know.html

Air Canada Press Release May 11, 2017

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1135

Aeroplan News "To Our Valued Members" - May 11, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/whats_new/...New_2017_05_09

Aeroplan & Air Canada update

We'd like to help our members understand the latest news about our partner, Air Canada.

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-...id=BAN30000311

From Aeroplan - UPDATE May 31, 2017

https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-and-aeroplan-update.do

Aeroplan Saga Ends in a Long, Financial Detour:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle35080509/

August 11 2017

"We're on solid ground so your plans can take flight."

https://www.aeroplan.com/program-updates.do?currentLanguage=en&cid=008692096

"Five things you need to know about your miles"

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

September 19, 2017 - Investor Day Presentation

https://www.aeroplan.com/five-things-about-your-miles.do?currentLanguage=en

//
Print Wikipost

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by tcook052
Why wouldn't AE post-2020 be able to ticket other *A airlines like Air Miles or other loyalty programs do?
AC and *A will, after 2020, continue to despise AE (as they should). They won't have any special contractual obligation to them. But everyone likes cash. I like cash. ACE shareholders like cash.

AE might then take their then $13 million in cash reserves and buy in bulk from Westjet, or Canjet, or Canada 3000, or even Air Canada. That may well be a better aggregate $/mi rate than even SE's get for cash (with 75 days notice, no changes, middle seat only, no points, no bags, no hummus. no Coke Zero).

Will those be enjoyable experiences? I don't know. Do you like spending 6 hours trapped on the Ottawa runway?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Is there another option, though, beyond some temporary transition plan perhaps. During which AC might be inclined to be a bit more generous in order not to lose too much goodwill with customers.

Although even that, given the long advance notice, the great majority of AE point holders should be able to redeem before the split.
Originally Posted by alc
While I do know this is a wrong thread, but I do wonder why a lot of people do think Air Canada will really let someone who fly and earn Aeroplan miles on a flight say on May 20th, 2020 and then come the 1st day of new FFP, those miles become worthless. It is pretty much like 99.9999% for sure that Air Canada new FFP and Aeroplan will "HAVE TO" overlap for a period of them or Air Canada will allow members to transfer their balance over from Aeroplan at rate that is 1 to 1, assuming the new FFP continue with the same structure.

At best I think AC will match your earned miles in the first half of 2020 when the new program spends. Basically whatever you have for your Altitude status so far.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus
Originally Posted by alc
While I do know this is a wrong thread, but I do wonder why a lot of people do think Air Canada will really let someone who fly and earn Aeroplan miles on a flight say on May 20th, 2020 and then come the 1st day of new FFP, those miles become worthless. It is pretty much like 99.9999% for sure that Air Canada new FFP and Aeroplan will "HAVE TO" overlap for a period of them or Air Canada will allow members to transfer their balance over from Aeroplan at rate that is 1 to 1, assuming the new FFP continue with the same structure.
But what if this 3 year period we're in right now IS the overlap period?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 8:37 am
alc

Originally Posted by yosemite1
But what if this 3 year period we're in right now IS the overlap period?
What I really trying to say is that Air Canada will have a period of time that allow members to be able to either continue putting their miles into Aeroplan or the new Air Canada FFP (if this is really happening ). Reason is that with all the limited public information so far, it seems to be a clean-cut, today you are with Aeroplan the tomorrow will be with Air Canada new FFP. This clean-cut itself will upset everyone - status and non-status members - hence it doesn't make any sense to me. Hence, I do think there will be something that Air Canada will do to try to keep certain member profile that they want to keep while they will for sure upset some other members that prefer not to keep.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by alc
What I really trying to say is that Air Canada will have a period of time that allow members to be able to either continue putting their miles into Aeroplan or the new Air Canada FFP (if this is really happening ). Reason is that with all the limited public information so far, it seems to be a clean-cut, today you are with Aeroplan the tomorrow will be with Air Canada new FFP. This clean-cut itself will upset everyone - status and non-status members - hence it doesn't make any sense to me. Hence, I do think there will be something that Air Canada will do to try to keep certain member profile that they want to keep while they will for sure upset some other members that prefer not to keep.
What member profiles does Air Canada not want to keep?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:11 am
alc

Originally Posted by keitherson
No clue, will just like any other enhancement that do in the pass, we will know when we see it
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I was pretty sure the AQD was a nice way to fire a bunch of customers, or to use the appropriate business phrase about "wanting to keep only those customers who are profitable". As AC is still selling tickets to fill the back of the bus where on a per-unit basis, those customers may not be profitable, but as a herd in the cabin, they might be.

Who doesn't love speculating? Such a fun game.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Originally Posted by 24left
I was pretty sure the AQD was a nice way to fire a bunch of customers, or to use the appropriate business phrase about "wanting to keep only those customers who are profitable". As AC is still selling tickets to fill the back of the bus where on a per-unit basis, those customers may not be profitable, but as a herd in the cabin, they might be.

Who doesn't love speculating? Such a fun game.
"Speculate:

1) form a theory or conjecture about a subject without firm evidence

2) invest in stocks, property, or other ventures in the hope of gain but with the risk of loss"

Sounds about right regarding any "loyalty" program discussion.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ambiguous question...

Is this about keeping profiles? Surely they would want to keep as many as they can. Assuming the profiles are not strictly AE property under their contract.

Or is this about keeping members? And the profile of *the members* they want to keep?

But then again, nothing wrong with keeping as many as possible.

So bottom line, seems to me it's about who gets what benefit. Status rather than membership. OTOH membership will help selling the program to partners such as credit cards and the like.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by alc
While I agree AC will do something to ease the transition, it's not as easy as just announcing an overlap. The AC/AP contract forbids AC from awarding any miles except AP and 3rd party carriers. So if they say "All flights on AC starting Jan 1, 2020 will earn both until June 30", they will be sued over it as the contract prohibits such an offer. Similarly, other carriers can't post to anywhere but AP until the contract ends, and must post to AC the day after that.

I'm interested to see what they come up with. I think it will relate to AC's comment about seeing a transition period for AP redemptions. Trade that to AP in return for being able to offer a better transition to AC customers.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by alc
This clean-cut itself will upset everyone - status and non-status members - hence it doesn't make any sense to me.
The implied assumption that AC doesn’t want to upset everyone is naive IMHO. Pretty much every step AC (like other airlines) has taken over the past few years suggests that it regrets its FFP. As I commented here, I think it’s completely rational that airlines are doing their best to cull their membership ranks.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by capedreamer
The implied assumption that AC doesn’t want to upset everyone is naive IMHO. Pretty much every step AC (like other airlines) has taken over the past few years suggests that it regrets its FFP. As I commented here, I think it’s completely rational that airlines are doing their best to cull their membership ranks.
Lufty basically said a few years ago that SEN were the enemy. I left for BA. BA hasn't declared war on their expensive elites just cheapened their product to the point were elites just want to leave.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
AC and *A will, after 2020, continue to despise AE (as they should). They won't have any special contractual obligation to them. But everyone likes cash. I like cash. ACE shareholders like cash.

AE might then take their then $13 million in cash reserves and buy in bulk from Westjet, or Canjet, or Canada 3000, or even Air Canada. That may well be a better aggregate $/mi rate than even SE's get for cash (with 75 days notice, no changes, middle seat only, no points, no bags, no hummus. no Coke Zero).

Will those be enjoyable experiences? I don't know. Do you like spending 6 hours trapped on the Ottawa runway?
What year is this? And it isn't April 1.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 5:31 pm

Why bother going through the significant work to launch your own if you don't want it. They could have just say "We're done" and shut it down completely, or stayed with AP.

The only thing that's changed over the past decade is that airlines are now very very skilled at rewarding exactly who they want to (whether you agree with them on who that is or not is a different question). However, their desire to do that isn't new, they've been trying to do it since the start.

The rapid expansion of long-haul ULCCs, densified aircraft, and the $<500 fares to everywhere they've created has caused a fundamental shift in the industry. Add to that modern analytics that now allow the airlines to slice and dice their customer base, and modern fare distribution systems that allow you to tailor to each segment, and you get where we are today.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pretty much every step AC (like other airlines) has taken over the past few years suggests that it regrets its FFP.
That it regrets having to deal with Aeroplan. However Aeroplan is no longer in any way AC's FFP, apart from point and awards management. Among other things making dealing with FFs costly.

Together with at least at lower tiers, benefits being out of whack with revenue from that segment.

In no way different from the old Rupert rant against bottom feeders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.