Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stingy drinks service

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jc94
The route being queried originally is international. I don't think anyone has claimed AC is stingy in J Intl. Y (any royep.ute) and Dom/TB J ... YMMV based upon which side of bed the employee woke up on.

Also depends what one means by stingy. But then I rarely drink and even more rarely on a flight. But when I do, I've never had an issue. Was even offered another G&T in PY once without asking.
Yep.

After 400+ TATL and TPAC flights in AC J I have never experienced shoddy drink service. I always got what I asked for. Never been cut off. Never denied.

But what do I know. But what have I experienced.
Old May 12, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yep.

After 400+ TATL and TPAC flights in AC J I have never experienced shoddy drink service. I always got what I asked for. Never been cut off. Never denied.

But what do I know. But what have I experienced.
I think it's a "Y" vs "J" situation. I've seen FA's look down on passengers in Y on numerous occasions, and treats those in J much, much more favourably.

If you're in Y, you're treated like chopped liver. But like you said, what do you know? You only ever sit in J
Old May 12, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Originally Posted by CanRulez
I think it's a "Y" vs "J" situation. I've seen FA's look down on passengers in Y on numerous occasions, and treats those in J much, much more favourably.

If you're in Y, you're treated like chopped liver. But like you said, what do you know? You only ever sit in J
i havent done a TPacc in Y for many years.. but in the past, i have walked over to the galley and asked for "a couple" of G&T and was given 2 little bottles and a can. ditto Scotch.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Tough spot for the FAs. Don't pour to the level demanded by crabby passengers and they are criticized on forums like this one. Over refresh airborne lushes who then get out of hand and the FAs are criticized.

It's an airplane not a cocktail lounge. I like my adult beverages as much as the next person but I can survive a flight with only a couple or even none. I'd rather the FAs be "stingy" as opposed to liquoring up some piss tank who gets abusive when he has a snoot full and causes a flight to be diverted.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by karachi
i havent done a TPacc in Y for many years.. but in the past, i have walked over to the galley and asked for "a couple" of G&T and was given 2 little bottles and a can. ditto Scotch.
It's definitely a YMMV situation. If you look presentable, I'm sure you're more likely to get an accommodating FA.

If you look like a homeless person...not so much.

By the way, on trans-oceanic flights, is liquor free or do you have to pay for it?
Old May 12, 2017, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Tough spot for the FAs. Don't pour to the level demanded by crabby passengers and they are criticized on forums like this one. Over refresh airborne lushes who then get out of hand and the FAs are criticized.

It's an airplane not a cocktail lounge. I like my adult beverages as much as the next person but I can survive a flight with only a couple or even none. I'd rather the FAs be "stingy" as opposed to liquoring up some piss tank who gets abusive when he has a snoot full and causes a flight to be diverted.
Very true.
Old May 12, 2017, 8:01 am

It's definitely a YMMV situation. If you look presentable, I'm sure you're more likely to get an accommodating FA.

If you look like a homeless person...not so much.

By the way, on trans-oceanic flights, is liquor free or do you have to pay for it?
it's either free or the flight attendants are trying to get me drunk.
Old May 12, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Badenoch

I don't think asking for 2 drinks on a 12 hour flight is overdoing it. Let's not get super Nanny State about this.
Old May 12, 2017, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
it's either free or the flight attendants are trying to get me drunk.
Thanks. I didn't know that. I have seen seen the cheap wine in the plastic bottles, but I didn't know the hard stuff was included as well.
Old May 12, 2017, 8:32 am

Thanks. I didn't know that. I have seen seen the cheap wine in the plastic bottles, but I didn't know the hard stuff was included as well.
some of the "good" carriers will haul the bar cart down the dial every thirty minutes, SQ in particular, for the first couple of hours of a long haul, then they slow down. I think their plan is get you mldly drunk and hope you pass out for the mid flight snack.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
The point is.............there is no 2 drink rule. That is nonsense. Of course they are not a flying bar, but the OP had a simple request and was denied.

According to AC your expectations in International Economy is On your next International Economy Class flight, you’ll enjoy complimentary wines, spirits and meals. Plus, you’ll have hours of on-demand entertainment at your fingertips.

https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/...n_3250_title_0

(When you open up the Meals and Beverages tab you see a picture of Mac-and-Cheese, but no pickle)

Old May 12, 2017, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I have a fun idea. When I'm not busy counting the Kit Kats in the snack basket on my next flight (or keeping an eye out for non-J pax helping themselves in the darkened cabin), I will do a random survey of pax and ask them if a FA has told them there is a limit on the number of drinks in their cabin, and if so how many, and did FA roll-eyes indicating possible sarcasm, and/or did FA bark when pax asked for water....
C'mon people, being a mystery shopper onboard AC can be so much fun.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:19 pm

I've flown economy to Asia. Unlimited drinks, they just give me a couple of the small bottles, an empty cup, and a cup with ice and let me pour what I want.

Maybe the FAs have a thing for good looking Chinese guys
Old May 12, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by haolaowai_org
I've flown economy to Asia. Unlimited drinks, they just give me a couple of the small bottles, an empty cup, and a cup with ice and let me pour what I want.

Maybe the FAs have a thing for good looking Chinese guys
Or you flew with the 8 out of 10 FA's who do their job. AC really gets let down by a small, but really motivated, group of employees who are essentially sabotaging the company out of spite. Even the laziest FA who doesn't wander the aisles will get a drink if you go to the galley.

It is the rude one's and the saboteurs who dream up little rules on the spot.
Old May 12, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: *G
In Y, I always try to be very polite, and ask during the initial service, "could I have a beer and then a wine to have with the meal". It's usually accommodated. But I will admit that if my wife is with me, she will ask for something that I end up drinking.

I have also had them give me an extra little bottle of scotch without asking. I don't recall ever being downright refused, and I am not sure how I would respond if told there was some non existent rule about how many I could have per hour.

(The only airline on which I have ever had a problem getting a drink was SQ - it's happened twice, both in J. And I'm not talking about more than one - it was a battle to get the first one. Still beats me how they get voted as one of the best.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.