Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Award + Regular Flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC-25k, Marriott-Platinum
Aeroplan Award + Regular Flight

When booking an mini-rtw for the gf and myself we decided leaving from YYZ was the best option to avoid some YQ. Plans have changed and now we're leaving form YOW but haven't changed the award ticket. Instead we booked a flight from YOW to YYZ the morning of our award ticket (it was pretty cheap).

Would it make sense to try to call air canada and have the itineraries merged? Is there a benefit to even doing that besides maybe not having to go through security a second time? Our first stop outside of YYZ is to chicago so we'd likely have to go through customs?

Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
When you land in YYZ you are going to go up the escalator from the D gates where you will go down a corridor to the US / Intl departure gates and then clear security and US customs before you get to your departure gate to ORD. That will not change no matter what your ticket setup is.

The reason to merge them is if you have an IRROPS situation, then AC knows about the misconnect and can rebook you on a later flight versus you counting as a no-show for your YYZ-ORD flight and forfeiting the rest of your booking.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. Who should I call? AC or Aeroplan?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by mars_precision
Thanks for the response. Who should I call? AC or Aeroplan?
Air Canada.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Air Canada.
I don't think there is such a thing as "merging itineraries." That would mean reissuing a single ticket, wheich they won't do. Best the OP can get is that the tickets get cross-referenced. That may not protect in case of IRROPS and the first flight gets delayed so that they miss the second one.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
I don't think there is such a thing as "merging itineraries." That would mean reissuing a single ticket, wheich they won't do. Best the OP can get is that the tickets get cross-referenced. That may not protect in case of IRROPS and the first flight gets delayed so that they miss the second one.
It will certainly still be two tickets, but I believe they can either get them put on the same PNR or "cross referenced" as you state. I've never done exactly this (Aeroplan to regular booking) but I've done it with my wife who was coming to meet me from another city and then we were continuing on to another destination.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:54 am

Many people reported x-ref'ing PNRs is doable by calling AC Reservations, but has someone experienced IRROPS on such a trip? Was the x-ref actually useful or not?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, that is exactly what the AC agent did. She crossed referenced them.

Happy flying!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:36 pm

The best they can do is cross reference, if you're checking in bags you'll need to see an agent to thru check to your final destination. It is hit or miss (depending on the agent) some may overlook your second reservation so make sure to tell them. You will be protected in the event of an IROP as long as they are both Air Canada tickets (014 stock), some agents might give you a hard time but it is clearly in the rules for re protection.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by acpediapro
The best they can do is cross reference, if you're checking in bags you'll need to see an agent to thru check to your final destination. It is hit or miss (depending on the agent) some may overlook your second reservation so make sure to tell them. You will be protected in the event of an IROP as long as they are both Air Canada tickets (014 stock), some agents might give you a hard time but it is clearly in the rules for re protection.
Welcome to FT.

Give your username, are you willing to share an ACPedia entry number for this?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by balexis
Many people reported x-ref'ing PNRs is doable by calling AC Reservations, but has someone experienced IRROPS on such a trip? Was the x-ref actually useful or not?
Yes I actually have this month. Exactly same as OP with reward J(YUL-YYZ-YYC) and regular booking day after(YYC-YVR). Had IRROPS YUL-YYZ-YYC where I had an overnight in YYZ but had to get to YYC so I was screwed but when I got to YYZ they had a YYZ-YVR J BP waiting for me so it worked out perfectly! They got me in full revenue J too. YYZ was a mess due to runway construction and it was much appreciated as a non AC FF. I'll be hitting P25K in May and 35K in June

​​​​​
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:19 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Good to know this.

Booking parallel rev and non-rev flights seem to have become the norm for our vacation travel lately - tough for me to find two AP seats in J on many flights. While agents have been pretty proactive in the past, getting a note on file linking PNRs seems like a wise thing.

Will definitely do so for some upcoming travel - thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:31 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Thanks to those on this thread (and another I can't find right now) for pointing this out.

Called AC Res yesterday and an extremely friendly and a patient agent cross referenced the three, count'em, three Aeroplan PNRs for my travelling companion against my single revenue PNR. He made it very easy and totally understood my rationale.

So thanks for pointing this out and thanks to the agent for making it happen.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: *G
I have a reservation booked on AC, but operated primarily by OS.
Companion has identical itinineary, but booked as award through my UA account.

It's still possible to x-ref the itinerary? and who does this -- UA? AC? OS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.