Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYZ International to US Connection IRROPS Procedure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Hello AC forum,

I'm thinking about booking an International-USA transfer at YYZ on AC with 1 hr 55 min in between. Suppose the arriving flight is late, or I get delayed at US CBP/security causing a missed connection. It is the last flight of the day. If AC rebooks to a departure on the next day, what happens? Are pax stuck in the precleared concourse, or will AC comp a hotel and provide an exit from the area? I assume you will have to reclear US immigration if they allow for exit.

Thanks!
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by theasianguy
Hello AC forum,

I'm thinking about booking an International-USA transfer at YYZ on AC with 1 hr 55 min in between. Suppose the arriving flight is late, or I get delayed at US CBP/security causing a missed connection. It is the last flight of the day. If AC rebooks to a departure on the next day, what happens? Are pax stuck in the precleared concourse, or will AC comp a hotel and provide an exit from the area? I assume you will have to reclear US immigration if they allow for exit.

Thanks!
You didn't specify dates.

That said, there is a major Ground Delay Program on at YYZ for parts of this year with runway construction. Flights are delayed daily. there is another entire thread about this.

You might want to reconsider your time estimate or transfer at YVR or YUL or YYC is possible.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-7-2017-a.html

And there are Travel Alerts on the Air Canada site, so they are advising everyone in advance.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...l-outlook.html

Attached Images  
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
I assume you are asking this because you will have a flight in the future...

Anyways, they probably will not make you stay in the US Terminal as I believe it is against someone's rules since you have been cleared to enter the States. According to other FT'ers, you will probably be sent through CBSA (don't know if you would have to fill out a Canadian Declaration Form since you never 'left' Canadian soil), and will have to clear US Immigration right before your next flight.

Do make sure you have all applicable documentation to transit in Canada...
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: ba silver
Originally Posted by theasianguy
Hello AC forum,

Thanks!
I couple of points: Regarding the pre-clearance issue.

You wouldn' t be allowed to stay overnight in the the U.S. area. I went through something like this out of YUL. Was supposed to be flying AA to Europe via JFK. Flight cancelled. Rebooked on the direct BA flight leaving in six hours. Was given a meal voucher. I stayed in the pre-clearance area to use it then was told to come back to any AA gate in the immediately after and they then sent to CBSA, given a paper that sent me to collect my bag and go back landside.

It would be a little different in your case as you are coming from another country. CBSA is used to this and makes allowances for travelers without a visa to enter until the next flight. If you have no legal issues it should be no problem.

As for the hotel, if it' s within AC' s responsibility they will provide you with a hotel room, if not, it' s at their discretion but I' ve heard from AC employees that it can provide hotel regardless of the cause on a case by case basis anyways.

Safe travels
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by stevendorechester
You wouldn' t be allowed to stay overnight in the the U.S. area. I went through something like this out of YUL. Was supposed to be flying AA to Europe via JFK. Flight cancelled. Rebooked on the direct BA flight leaving in six hours. Was given a meal voucher. I stayed in the pre-clearance area to use it then was told to come back to any AA gate in the immediately after and they then sent to CBSA, given a paper that sent me to collect my bag and go back landside.
Would that piece of paper be a declaration card or something else that said that you were on a delayed flight? Also, if it was a declaration card, what did you put as your 'incoming flight'?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

You didn't specify dates.

That said, there is a major Ground Delay Program on at YYZ for parts of this year with runway construction. Flights are delayed daily. there is another entire thread about this.

You might want to reconsider your time estimate or transfer at YVR or YUL or YYC is possible.

I should clarify that the routing is PVG-YYZ-IAH, in the middle of June. Unfortunately, YYZ is the only transit option that avoids either an overnight (YUL) or double connection (YVR).

Anyways, they probably will not make you stay in the US Terminal as I believe it is against someone's rules since you have been cleared to enter the States. According to other FT'ers, you will probably be sent through CBSA (don't know if you would have to fill out a Canadian Declaration Form since you never 'left' Canadian soil), and will have to clear US Immigration right before your next flight.

I am a US citizen, so entry to Canada shouldn't be a problem. The reason I'm asking is that PVG-YYZ, like almost all PVG departing flights, has an abysmal on time record. +40% delayed >45 mins. Yet I know a lot for pax on that flight are connecting onwards to the US. AC is selling a lot of 1.5-2 hr transfers to the US East Coast, so I assume they know what they are doing.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
I assume you are asking this because you will have a flight in the future...

Yes fill out an E311. Yes you must see CBSA to exit. Any GA can route you from within the terminal to the arrivals hall. I'd recommend going directly to talk to an officer (after filling out a card), the machines don't like dealing with atypical cases. Declare any duty free / any purchases from the terminal (back in the day people liked to do refundable tickets to buy duty free without leaving and then cancel/leave terminal to re-sell). Fill in the same flight number as the missed flight, but that's a detail that doesn't really matter (a lot of people don't realize more than half pax have incomplete or almost empty E311s, people are bad with instructions and we don't care enough to always send them to redo it).
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:26 pm
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
Can't speak to IAH, but the last flight YYZ-BOS is often held for late connects from PVG (or other transpac)- I know because sometimes it is me, and other times there is a rush of late boarders carrying Asian duty-free bags
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by SYM
Can't speak to IAH, but the last flight YYZ-BOS is often held for late connects from PVG (or other transpac)- I know because sometimes it is me, and other times there is a rush of late boarders carrying Asian duty-free bags
I wish that were the case with all AC flights. I am of Asian origin, but my YYZ-YUL flights never hold when I am flying in from the States...
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:46 pm
SYM

I wish that were the case with all AC flights. I am of Asian origin, but my YYZ-YUL flights never hold when I am flying in from the States...
Tell me about it. I fly BOS-YYZ-YXU weekly and it is no fun
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: ba silver
Would that piece of paper be a declaration card or something else that said that you were on a delayed flight? Also, if it was a declaration card, what did you put as your 'incoming flight'?
Sorry, I should have been more specific.It was more about the fact that I couldn' t stay in the pre-clearance area for too long once it was made clear that I wasn' t flying to the states.

I was sent directly ahead of the line to a booth, showed by ticket, did not have to fill out a landing card, did not have my passport scanned and was given an sort of an " express pass''. I then handed that card to an agent at the exit, he took it and told me to make certain I had all my luggage, asked if I had purchased duty free and waved me through. I probably should not have confused the OP with this.

He should have no problems in case of IROPs though. CBSA is used to making allowances for this assuming no other issues. I' ve even heard of them letting people who are denied entry in if no other flights are avail to return and told to be back by 7 morning for their flight back.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by SYM
Tell me about it. I fly BOS-YYZ-YXU weekly and it is no fun
So is OSS set up at YYZ? I heard it is now a bus since there is no corridor between E gates and D gates without going through CBSA because of TWOV. I do not know why Domestic and Int'l are not separated in YUL since it is another TWOV airport...

If it has been set up, has OSS helped you make your flight?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
I do not know why Domestic and Int'l are not separated in YUL since it is another TWOV airport...
YUL is not a TWOV airport. YVR, YYC, and YYZ T1 only.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by D582
YUL is not a TWOV airport. YVR, YYC, and YYZ T1 only.
Thanks for the clarification. I assume YYC being on the list is due to the new terminal and was not the case before 2016-10.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:02 am
SYM

So is OSS set up at YYZ? I heard it is now a bus since there is no corridor between E gates and D gates without going through CBSA because of TWOV. I do not know why Domestic and Int'l are not separated in YUL since it is another TWOV airport...

If it has been set up, has OSS helped you make your flight?
Yes it is and yes it has, once. But the more common experience in the last month has been gdp means I miss the connection entirely

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.