Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Upgrade YYC to MXP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A 50K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Star Alliance Upgrade YYC to MXP

Any help would be appreciated. Looking at YYC to MXP via YYZ in the summer. I understand it is a full class fare that allows me to use my AP on *A Upgrade. I see the number of miles required but was wondering what the fees are to do this.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fees should be none.

Even so, probably not a good deal. If you have status, a latitude fare only requires 11 credits and no extra fee either.

The number of miles required is significant and it is each way. A reward might also be a better option.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
1) You need to buy a Latitude ticket (B or Y ticket)

2) There needs to be an "I" fare available on both the YYC-YYZ and the YYZ-MXP segments in order to get the reward:
- find via a tool like expert flyer
- or search for a classic reward to be available the aeroplan website (this is an "I" fare)
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
There needs to be award space.
An award is 110k points + scamfees of around $1000 on AC metal

A latitude ticket will be thousands more, and still require points.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
There needs to be award space.
An award is 110k points + scamfees of around $1000 on AC metal

A latitude ticket will be thousands more, and still require points.
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
1) You need to buy a Latitude ticket (B or Y ticket)

2) There needs to be an "I" fare available on both the YYC-YYZ and the YYZ-MXP segments in order to get the reward:
- find via a tool like expert flyer
- or search for a classic reward to be available the aeroplan website (this is an "I" fare)
Originally Posted by Stranger
Fees should be none.

Even so, probably not a good deal. If you have status, a latitude fare only requires 11 credits and no extra fee either.

The number of miles required is significant and it is each way. A reward might also be a better option.
Thanks everyone. Very helpful. I'll go with the lowest business class seat which is the same price as Latitude right now.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:30 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Chinesecowboy88
Thanks everyone. Very helpful. I'll go with the lowest business class seat which is the same price as Latitude right now.
Good call. And it's not uncommon to see lowest business for less than Latitude.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Picked one in P to GRU, indeed much cheaper.

But to MXP/FCO B is currently much cheaper than P. Roughly $1600 vs. $2900 from YYC. (Trip scheduled in May.)
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:22 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Stranger
Picked one in P to GRU, indeed much cheaper.

But to MXP/FCO B is currently much cheaper than P. Roughly $1600 vs. $2900 from YYC. (Trip scheduled in May.)
For sure, but I didn't say P/Z is always lower than B/Y, just that it's not uncommon.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
True. Had never looked at *A upgrades til now and it the more I look into it and hear from FT ppl the more it looks like a bad deal.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chinesecowboy88
True. Had never looked at *A upgrades til now and it the more I look into it and hear from FT ppl the more it looks like a bad deal.
With a few exceptions. At least the one that I am aware of and have used is with BR. They typically have or used to have reasonable B fares, making it worthwhile to buy it and upgrade. Requiring typically 25-30 k miles for intercontinental legs. Particularly useful if you need one way tickets. Such as, when we flew to TPE, then to CDG, then back home in Canada.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've only ever found SAUA to be useful when you need to buy the ticket in that fare class anyway (i.e. you don't have a Saturday night stay, or you're booking last minute, or you need flexibility), or you've already bought it.

I can't imagine ever buying a ticket for the purpose of using SAUA. I'd rather just use the miles in the first place to book it.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow

I can't imagine ever buying a ticket for the purpose of using SAUA. I'd rather just use the miles in the first place to book it.
I have only found it useful with BR. First, I always try to buy revenue and use miles fro my wife; I typically only marginally meet the SE rnewal requirements. (Admittedly the AQD thing to some extent changes the picture a bit in that nowadays I try to stick with AC especially if dealing with expensive tickets.)

In the single instance I used the SA upgrade, first each intercontinental leg in B was priced at around CAD 1000, only marginally more than the cheapest fare. I did YYC-TPE, TPE-CDG, and I came back CDG-YYC on AC using a latitude pass. It made sense to me. My wife used a reward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.