Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC455 today: you had ONE job. ONE JOB!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92

Name:  17634446_10154304491061771_8492758978946261697_n.jpg
Views: 3097
Size:  64.0 KB
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Is this aircraft at the gate or taxiing somewhere? Who ran into whom?
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Was almost at the gate. Apparently the marshaller didn't see the truck coming, and...
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Simon
Was almost at the gate. Apparently the marshaller didn't see the truck coming, and...
Great photo.
When you looked out, what was the marshaller doing?

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 1, 2017 at 11:31 pm Reason: off topic
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Apparently Gate Gourmet doesn't follow the practice of "larger vehicles have right of way".
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Apparently Gate Gourmet doesn't follow the practice of "larger vehicles have right of way".
Given that it takes what... three(?) people to guide a plane in, I'm not sure I'd be so quick to assign full blame to the vehicle. Partial, sure. But isn't it someone's job to watch the wing and make sure it has clearance? I know when I was packing hangars with smaller aircraft, we always had someone on the wing for that reason, so I assumed the guy on the tarmac at the wing was doing the same thing.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Given that it takes what... three(?) people to guide a plane in, I'm not sure I'd be so quick to assign full blame to the vehicle. Partial, sure. But isn't it someone's job to watch the wing and make sure it has clearance? I know when I was packing hangars with smaller aircraft, we always had someone on the wing for that reason, so I assumed the guy on the tarmac at the wing was doing the same thing.
I'm just trying to imagine how this happens... one or more people thought the truck had the clearance to go under the wing, or they just didn't realize their paths were going to overlap? Even if the marshal is completely oblivious to the fact that there's a vehicle that's going intersect the aircraft's path, shouldn't the truck driver know he can't fit under there?

But then again, I've seen this happen several times with people moving large machinery under energized high-voltage power lines (!) and guesstimating the clearance rather than properly measuring it.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:15 am
bne
Suspended

Does it take 3? I've never had a wing walker being marshalled in. Pushing back yes. Ground crews are responsible for checking the area before the aircraft gets there, and for things like a moving truck (which shouldn't happen) should stop the aircraft. But I haven't seen their ops manual.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Now I know what the Captain means when he announces, "sorry for the delay, we have to wait for someone who is qualified to to their hands in the air"

Last edited by HerpaYvr; Apr 2, 2017 at 8:58 am
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by 24left
Great photo.
When you looked out, what was the marshaller doing?
You mean besides soiling himself?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
We all need a wingman.

Originally Posted by bne
Does it take 3? I've never had a wing walker being marshalled in. Pushing back yes. Ground crews are responsible for checking the area before the aircraft gets there, and for things like a moving truck (which shouldn't happen) should stop the aircraft. But I haven't seen their ops manual.
Since this is your first post, welcome to FT.

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 2, 2017 at 8:27 am Reason: merge posts
Old Apr 2, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
I got my hands in the air like I just don't care!
Old Apr 2, 2017, 7:33 am

Yeah, 100% blame to truck driver. Rule number 1 of driving airside is that planes have right of way.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Reminds me of a long ago Delta flight out of an outstation where I ended up getting rebooked because the baggage train hit the plane hard enough to cause a dent and the 'on call' mechanic needed to determine whether there was structural or cosmetic damage was apparently out fishing somewhere and taking a bit long to make it back to the airport.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
OP, you had one job today. Putting the date in the subject line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.