Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100K guaranteed seats in economy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 100k, Star Alliance Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Westjet Gold, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
100K guaranteed seats in economy

For the first time, I am looking at potentially utilizing the 100k perk of guaranteed seat access in economy. Before I bother, can anyone tell me how the pricing works? To gain access to a seat on a sold out flight, is pricing based on full fare non-restricted ticket or a different fare class?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by luckylager
For the first time, I am looking at potentially utilizing the 100k perk of guaranteed seat access in economy. Before I bother, can anyone tell me how the pricing works? To gain access to a seat on a sold out flight, is pricing based on full fare non-restricted ticket or a different fare class?
Full Y fare, and since you can't book it online because it's sold out, you need to call AC reservations.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I looked into it once, and just getting a quote was hard. "Sir, the flight is completely sold out" etc. I had to literally read the perk off the Altitude site.

Also, FYI, the perk applies to E75K too.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:40 pm

As mentioned, pricing based on full-Y. You need to call reservations to get it. And once it's booked you get your preferred seat and put your e-Up request in.

So full-Y is expensive - pretty useful if travel insurance can cover it though...
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by hydrogen
As mentioned, pricing based on full-Y. You need to call reservations to get it. And once it's booked you get your preferred seat and put your e-Up request in.

So full-Y is expensive - pretty useful if travel insurance can cover it though...
There's something I never considered. I guess status can help you in situations insurance can't
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Has anyone ever used this and then noticed someone being bumped? I mean VDB would normally find a find volunteer, but not always.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by jc94
Has anyone ever used this and then noticed someone being bumped? I mean VDB would normally find a find volunteer, but not always.
Yes. I booked ATL-YYZ a couple of years ago using this perk. I was in the gate area when they asked for volunteers. It was an older lady who got bumped. I did feel a little bad at the time.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by 172pilot
Yes. I booked ATL-YYZ a couple of years ago using this perk. I was in the gate area when they asked for volunteers. It was an older lady who got bumped. I did feel a little bad at the time.

Can you accept the VDB, get the monetary comp for it
*devil emoji*
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Can you accept the VDB, get the monetary comp for it
*devil emoji*
I wondered the same thing at the time. It was the last flight of the day and DL was oversold as well. I wasn't willing to spend the night in ATL just to find out (that was why I used this perk in the first place.)
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
I don't blame anyone for taking advantage of a perk AC offers, but am I the only one who thinks it is despicable that AC would sell out a flight, and then bump someone after selling their seat to another customer who missed the cut (high status notwithstanding)?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I guess the question is what did AC do for this lady? Did she get $1500, a night and meal in a 5* hotel with transport from and back to the airport before being shipped out at 6/8/10am (some people don't want to get up at 4am) in a J seat?

- Edit -
If so, I think that's acceptable. But I don't see AC doing more than covering a night at a basic local hotel before being put on standby for some next day flight. Maybe a few $$$ if a complaint was made, or more likely a 10% code.

And oh yeah, if I needed and had access to this ... I'd probably use it. I just think AC should ensure anyone inconvenienced is well compensated.

Last edited by jc94; Mar 30, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Sopwith
I don't blame anyone for taking advantage of a perk AC offers, but am I the only one who thinks it is despicable that AC would sell out a flight, and then bump someone after selling their seat to another customer who missed the cut (high status notwithstanding)?
I used this perk once and it really helped. It is definitely cost prohibitive so it's not like people are going to just do it for bits and wiggles.

I told a friend about this perk and my use of it and she got onto her high horse and lectured me about what a horrible person I am for having bumped someone. (most likely a plant for the RCHHMP)
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I used this perk once and it really helped. It is definitely cost prohibitive so it's not like people are going to just do it for bits and wiggles.

I told a friend about this perk and my use of it and she got onto her high horse and lectured me about what a horrible person I am for having bumped someone. (most likely a plant for the RCHHMP)
Again, if the perk is available I don't blame anyone for using it. But I do question the morals of a company that thinks it is an acceptable practice. I don't.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:42 pm

Overnight IDB out of the US would be something like 1300 USD cash, plus hotel and food.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
A little?
Honestly a stupid perk that should be removed, hopefully it will be for 2018.

Maybe a CBC story sometimes down the road would help lol lol, just a PR bomb waiting to be dropped if one AC GA slip the word at some time in the future.

VDB is one thing. Nobody should be IDBed for this.
Not that everyone here would have the minimal level of compassion to realize this though.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Mar 30, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.