Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Can I "standby early" at airport for an earlier flight in the "business class" cabin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I "standby early" at airport for an earlier flight in the "business class" cabin?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan

Maybe this has been addressed before on FT. I hardly ever use my upgrade credits but am doing so this weekend.
Booked an economy flex YVR-YYZ-YVR and used 20 credits to upgrade to Business, the upgrade is confirmed. My question is can I "standby early" at the airport for an earlier flight in the "business class cabin"?
Thanx much..
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by james dean
Maybe this has been addressed before on FT. I hardly ever use my upgrade credits but am doing so this weekend.
Booked an economy flex YVR-YYZ-YVR and used 20 credits to upgrade to Business, the upgrade is confirmed. My question is can I "standby early" at the airport for an earlier flight in the "business class cabin"?
Thanx much..
Barring weather impact, no.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
If the upgrade is already confirmed, when you OLCI, you will see an option to standby early.

So you should be able to.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by james dean
Thanx much..
I've only ever done this on the toronto/new York commuter flights, so I'd like to know if this is valid on non-commuter flights.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by lcohen999
If the upgrade is already confirmed, when you OLCI, you will see an option to standby early.

So you should be able to.
Are you sure? Outside of the Rapidair/Western Triangle/YYZ-NYC routes, if the original fare is booked under Flex, the fare conditions do not allow standby. Even after confirmed upgrade, the original fare conditions still apply. Is there a recent change that I am not aware of?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by YYT82
Are you sure? Outside of the Rapidair/Western Triangle/YYZ-NYC routes, if the original fare is booked under Flex, the fare conditions do not allow standby. Even after confirmed upgrade, the original fare conditions still apply. Is there a recent change that I am not aware of?
I believe YYT82 is correct here.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:11 am
alc

I actually recently (while I was still a SE) did YYZ-YVR-YYZ in Jan with eUpg confirmed in advance and then do a "Standby Early" on OLCI and got the earlier flight that I want. For one of my flight, I did try to ask the Concierge to put me on Standby, they said I am not allow. I then went ahead and do it on OLCI.

Just remember that OLCI only show you 2 flight options, so you need to do need to time your OCLI for the flights that you want -- which is the reason why I want the Concierge to do it for me initially.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:16 am

I think it is either a loophole or unpublished benefit.

I have been able to standby on an earlier flight, on upgraded J.

OLCI gave me the option.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:41 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I've never tried this with OLCI, but you may be able to do things at the airport that you couldn't do online. If OLCI doesn't offer you what you want, I would go to the airport then go to the lounge and see if they can help you out there. If your original flight is full or oversold, they may be happy to confirm you on the earlier flight.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:42 am

OLCI gave me the option.
^ Perhaps we should delete our thread responses now so AC doesn't fix it.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:45 am

^
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

OLCI gave me the option.
If OLCI allows it and no agent will permit it, then I can pretty much guarantee it's not supposed to happen (for free).

An upgrade does not change your fare rules.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:42 pm

This isn't the first time this topic has come up, believe me
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:04 pm

This isn't the first time this topic has come up, believe me
I can think of a few reasons why the OLCI has this feature as an unintended consequence, and they all lead to cost to make the OLCI completely capable of handling standby for all of the J scenarios. This actually isn't new when I think back, and it goes way further back before Calin's time. Lise Fournel is the only constant throughout this time.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If OLCI allows it and no agent will permit it, then I can pretty much guarantee it's not supposed to happen (for free).

An upgrade does not change your fare rules.
OK, but so it not's supposed to happen for free, so what is the charge then...you've already used eups credits, your confirmed Business on one flight, what is the penalty to move up early, personally I think if this is done at the airport gate your chances are pretty good if there is room your on...and secondly sounds like people have been moved up early so it's possibly a gate agents prerogative if there is such a thing...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.