Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC LAX Flight Delays - March 6, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

Just a heads-up for anyone on AC flights to or from LAX:

You will be delayed so if you have connections on either end, you might want to keep track of your flights and possibly make changes.

The delays announced last week on our outbound were said to be due to work on the LAX ATC system. Also, I see they have part of one of southern runways closed for work.

I received the AC delay notification while sitting onboard AC 791 and then the captain announced the delay and explained why.

This morning, I saw the delays here in LAX on the news and on the FAA website and on the AC Flight Status page. However, I have not received any Flight Notifications from AC.

Anyway, you may want to adjust your plans

FAA:

Due to OTHER / OTHER, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Los Angeles International Airport, Los Angeles, CA (LAX). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 1 hour and 37 minutes. To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/Airpor...jsp?q=lax&go=1

Last edited by 24left; Apr 28, 2017 at 9:09 pm
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:35 am

I have to book a connection through LAX in late April, will it be done by then?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Good to know about last years' delays
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlisi984
Good to know about last years' delays
Thanks for catching that.
I'm still making that mistake and it's March

Welcome to 2017
Old Mar 6, 2017, 9:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
I have to book a connection through LAX in late April, will it be done by then?
I don't see a date for the ATC work on any of the sites I searched. The runway construction is on the LAX website.

So, YMMV, but I'll advise if I find out anything

ADDING: The upper level departure ramp is also under construction, so hotel shuttles and some car rental shuttles are using the lower level Arrivals for both drop off and pick-up
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
I don't see a date for the ATC work on any of the sites I searched. The runway construction is on the LAX website.

So, YMMV, but I'll advise if I find out anything

ADDING: The upper level departure ramp is also under construction, so hotel shuttles and some car rental shuttles are using the lower level Arrivals for both drop off and pick-up
Maybe I will just connect through SFO or SEA and avoid LAX for the time being.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

So, LAX has a GDP as the locals call it - a Ground Delay Program in effect. I did not find out how long it will be on for, but it was not in effect on my previous trip, nor was the ramp construction. The runway construction has been ongoing for a couple of years and is documented in the LAX Airport construction and renovation update websites. And yes, I do check them if I have to go through there.

For a while they were working on the 2 northern parallel runways and now part of one of the southern is closed.

I was watching on AC flight taxi up, but due to the closure, the aircraft do a shorter turn onto the runway.

I took a photo of the construction area, but without a proper zoom, it may be hard to tell here.

My point for this thread is that AC has quite a number of flights to LAX. An it is about to move to another terminal.

Attached Images  
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:07 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I believe GDP is an FAA term, not an LAX-specific one, for what it's worth
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Maybe I will just connect through SFO or SEA and avoid LAX for the time being.
SFO GDP is notoriously bad if you're coming in on a short-haul flight (e.g. YVR).
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: E50K, *Gold, WS Gold,VIA Premier, VIPorter
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
GDP also applies in Canada, although the informal version is "flow"
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I assumed so too, except in the quote from the FAA website that I posted this morning, their words were:

"there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Los Angeles International Airport"

Also, when I meant locals, I was referring to the AC staff and other LAX employees at LAX who mentioned GDP.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:54 pm

Yup, had departure on AC557 delayed yesterday (Mar 6) due to inbound late because of what I believe the Capt called "ATC departure clearance out of Vancouver, and that's LAX ATC" or some similar emphasis. Then we were delayed for another 30 minutes or so because of a malfunction on arming one of the exit door slides.

Had similar inbound delay on a Westjet flight into LAX in December, although the driver of the pre-reserved car wouldn't believe it was LAX ATC that caused us to sit at the gate in Vancouver all ready to go.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 9:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

The captain on our AC 791 last week made a similar announcement re LAX ATC and we left 1.5 hours late. People missed their connections.

Today's AC 791 was also an hour or so late, thus our AC 792 left at 1:09 pm PT (versus sched departure of 11:50 am). We landed at 8:12pm versus 7:10.

As we were boarding, some pax told the crew they have connections.

Prior to landing, cabin crew read off a long list of connecting flights and instructions for pax. Based on what I heard, those connecting to 3 TATLs including CDG and MUC, missed their flights and would be met by agents.

It seems all those (long list) who missed their domestic connections were rebooked onto later flights as the crew read off the list of new flight numbers for each destination.

I'm wondering if AC need to make some kind of adjustment while this is going on.

If flights cannot depart reliably to LAX, and AC is then left having to deal with all these pax, this is going to make for a very sorry spring break or summer travel period, should it continue.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 10:26 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Maybe they need to adopt DL's approach and pad the block times big time.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:52 pm

Programs: AP Altitude E75K
I flew on AC out of LAX T2 this morning (and each week for the past couple months) and haven't experienced these delays yet. Fingers crossed, I won't have to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.