Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada - Navi.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Found a proper paper version at my seat on AC 845 FRA-YYC this morning, looks pretty nice (other than the route map).

By the way, in German we use "Navi" as abbreviation for "Navigationsgerät" (navigation device), therefore the name was quite catchy right away to me.

Last edited by ACflyerDE; Feb 28, 2017 at 6:45 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
Found a proper paper version at my seat on AC 845 FRA-YYC this morning, looks pretty nice (other than the route map).
That "Map" the definition of style over substance lol
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by 24left
+1 ...I could spend some nice quality time with Polar Route maps

I wonder if "Navi" is short for Navigation
Sometimes if you ask nicely, the captain is happy to give you the map, airport charts, check lists, etc after flight.

Also there is a website called skyvector, where all the air routes and waypoints are shown. It also allows you to creat a flight plan by entering all the waypoints.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by songsc
Sometimes if you ask nicely, the captain is happy to give you the map, airport charts, check lists, etc after flight.

Also there is a website called skyvector, where all the air routes and waypoints are shown. It also allows you to creat a flight plan by entering all the waypoints.

Some FTers here know that I have been successful in the "be charming and ask nicely" department.

I have an awesome collection of Polar Route maps from a number of my flights, and yes, waypoints but more exciting:
- the exact position where we were "crossing over the top" of the big blue ball
and
- the ETOPS locations

I also lucked out in having chats with crew about our positions at 80N and 87N.

While Google Maps and Google Earth etc are great tools and often fun, I'm a bit old school and I really enjoy holding and reading a paper map.

Now that crews have mostly switched over to the Jepp, no more Polar Maps

I also admit to having some issues understanding the newer documents they are using that have the jet stream and weather patters on them.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by 24left
... 2017 Air Canada Media Kit.

I think it's really well done as far as media kits go and it provides data and insight into who the readers are (as part of the Air Canada flier and target audiences) as well as some very interesting opportunities for advertisers.
Interesting how advertising rates are included.
If I'm reading page 18 correctly, $230,000 for a 30 second advertisement after the safety briefing.
Audience 5,000,000.
=$.046/passenger. I would rather pay an extra 5 cents/trip than watch advertising.

Page 21 hints at advertising on the moving map. That's disappointing.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
I like to more ops oriented content in Navi.

As for the maps, I think the look may have been inspired by some vintage graphics from the 1960s route maps.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by NordsFan
I like to more ops oriented content in Navi.

As for the maps, I think the look may have been inspired by some vintage graphics from the 1960s route maps.

Fair enough, but the version you are kind enough to provide is more easily read. The Navi version may induce mini strokes and occular pressure damage events as people squint and grimace trying to make out info on the new maps.

BTW, your 1960's map is impressive because;
- It shows Moscow as a destination (never knew it was an AC destination)
- References Port Arthur/Fort William, now known as Thunder Bay.
- Shows Earlton airport as a serviced airport. Unfortunately, dynamic YXR doesn't have any commercial service now. The town of 1200 waits.

A rather enjoyable read. Thank you.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Why fix something that's not broken? "EnRoute" worked perfectly well and actually sounded better than "Navi" IMHO.
This is not replacing enROUTE, other than perhaps removing some of the AC related material in the back of the magazine. It's yet another mini-magazine like the one for the YYZ/YUL route, and the specials on wine, spirits, men's clothing, etc. NAVI becomes appropriate as it navigates us through the AC realm of aircraft, routes and behind the scenes activities.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:45 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Finally had a chance to look at Navi this evening. I'm with the others here on the maps being hard to decipher. Not like the old great circle ones were always easy to figure out, but this verges on impossible.

More poor colour scheme choices, just like the planes.

Originally Posted by gcashin
I'm also thinking they may use it as an opportunity to update Navi less frequently than monthly. Right now they're publishing and replacing enroute magazine monthly, but things like route maps, fleet, etc don't change too often, so they could potentially avoid the monthly replacement, and just replace them as needed when they're torn/worn out.
That would actually be a very sensible piece of cost reduction on AC's part, I would think.

Originally Posted by WR Cage
Further, while Enroute (in its current format) is well placed in mainline, it is out of place on Rouge. As an example: Sandals works very well with mainline but not so much on rouge. However Beaches would sell better in rouge land. So I could see a strategic plan whereby Navi is common to both fleets, Enroute is mainline only, and a new magazine is introduced for Rouge.
Lucid analysis and interesting idea!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:45 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Looked at this again today. I'm surprised the "YYC isn't really a hub" crowd haven't shown up here to point out that there are terminal/connection guides for YYZ, YUL and YVR but not the "other" hub.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
In this issue of Navi,under SE privileges is " Priority Immigration".
I have never encountered that anywhere with AC.

Will they be handing out cards, like BKK, for priority lines?

Or will there be a special entrance into USA Immigration, like SIN or CGK?

Or....?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
I like the new book and find it easy to follow. The type is a little small in some places and they mixed up the city locations on the MLL map.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
In this issue of Navi,under SE privileges is " Priority Immigration".
I have never encountered that anywhere with AC.

Will they be handing out cards, like BKK, for priority lines?

Or will there be a special entrance into USA Immigration, like SIN or CGK?

Or....?
I wonder whether they mean the express passes J pax get when flying into LHR and CDG.

Sometimes SDs also hand them out to SEs; maybe there's a new policy to make that SOP.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I saw a hard copy of Navi. So not just electronic. I like the concept and a lot of the content. Completely agree that the maps are very difficult and text is too small for aging eyes. It's a smaller size than Enroute, but non standard. Cost saving??
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Saw a copy onboard the other day and brought it home.

I like the concept but the execution is weak in some areas.

I don't wear or need glasses so having to grab a magnifying glass at home means I'll never be able to read much of it onboard.

Font size is insanely tiny in many places. Font type in some places makes it impossible to see especially in contrast against some backgrounds (e.g.. front cover).

The network route maps are just too difficult to understand so maybe they are "decorative" as opposed to functional.

Overall, it seems like a handbook with some useful info, but the ability to actually read it will be limited by age and eyesight.

And yes, I am aware I can read the digital version.

Took a few photos.

Hey AIR CANADA, here's a suggestion:

Include the link to the digital edition of Navi with a brief description, when sending out e-tickets.

Attached Images      

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.