Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

SE100K now 75K- advice before March 1 changeover?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Hi folks. After 9 straight years as SE (14 total) I'm moving on to UA Mileage Plus (already comp upgraded on my first flight as Silver status - nice!). Just couldn't justify the $ difference (or lack of availability) between AC and UA for USA bound flights. Still made 75K.

Question - any serious advice on what I may want to think about doing before my 100K status expires? Specifically, I assume my Priority Rewards expire on March 1st (even though they just reset to 10), so booking a long haul rewards flight would make sense if I can plan that far in advance. Anything else I am missing?

Thanks! ^
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Was going to suggest you leverage your status for a match/challenge (just like what I did when I didn't want to requal for SE due to w.t.f AC ticket prices), but looks like you already did that ^

If you don't want anything to do with Errorplan anymore, I would suggest burning as many miles as quickly as possible.

Since you've "only" been given UA Silver status, remember to keep your 75K card and show it for eewnited club access. If you ever have a long connection in IAH, feel free to take the opportunity to visit all four? five? UCs -- two of them have showers lol

I forgot what zone # UA silvers board, but if you're not in zone 2, use the 75K card to convince the gate agents to let you board sooner
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:21 pm
alc

Originally Posted by maradori
Since you've "only" been given UA Silver status....
I think OP got UA Silver from the Marriott Platinum that OP show in the FT Profile.

Which program should you suggest to status match too as I am also about to loose my SE status.

Thanks
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You normally can't get a status match or challenge to an alliance or other partner of your current program, but there have been some exceptions such as TK.

DL normally offers status challenges, not matches, for free while AA charges for their status challenges. Be sure to read the fine print, including date information about when it's requested or met versus when it expires. You also need to be aware which of these are supposedly once in a lifetime.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alc
I think OP got UA Silver from the Marriott Platinum that OP show in the FT Profile.

Which program should you suggest to status match too as I am also about to loose my SE status.

Thanks
ALC - feel free to start your own status match thread
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alc

Thanks
ALC - feel free to start your own status match thread
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:04 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Use your IKK, yes! BUT! Use it on AC flights . No YQ, since you still have the waiver. Plus you can pick any seat free of charge.

Maybe not important to anyone else, but I just booked a mini-rtw, but it was nice to be able to pick my flights without worrying about that YQ still, as I'll be bumped back down to 35k.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:59 pm

I'm dropping from SE to 50K this year. Can I trust that my SE status will last until Feb 28th and I won't be bumped down to E50 until Mar 1?

I'll be booking a trip to Europe this summer in J (I) before the bump to E50 happens. I've got a couple alerts set up on ExpertFlyer for the flights I'd prefer but if they don't free up I have some back ups.

What I don't want to happen is for there to be an early sweep and I try to book mid-February and end up without access to J seats and with YQ.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by bestcoastflyer
I'm dropping from SE to 50K this year. Can I trust that my SE status will last until Feb 28th and I won't be bumped down to E50 until Mar 1?

I'll be booking a trip to Europe this summer in J (I) before the bump to E50 happens. I've got a couple alerts set up on ExpertFlyer for the flights I'd prefer but if they don't free up I have some back ups.

What I don't want to happen is for there to be an early sweep and I try to book mid-February and end up without access to J seats and with YQ.
They won't bump your status down until March 1st. You can be swept up early, but they don't bump down. That always been the way as far as I know.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:49 pm
alc

watch the timezone too. I recalled the status change happened around 12:00am GMT time.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:41 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
OP, plan all your vacation for the next year or so now and use your 10 IKK to burn up all of your Aeroplan points for J rewards with no YQ on AC metal.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
OP, plan all your vacation for the next year or so now and use your 10 IKK to burn up all of your Aeroplan points for J rewards with no YQ on AC metal.
I wish I was that flush with points! But good idea - will look and see if there's at least something else I can book now, thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.