Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Just got asked to fly to MEL in 5 weeks - point me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just got asked to fly to MEL in 5 weeks - point me?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by crimsona
Wheretocredit has a calculator function. Punch in your route, airline and fare class and it'll spit out all possible earnings sorted in descending order

Assuming you're on a D fare, Alaska would earn you 33k miles (of which 18k is elite qualifying)

Banking to AA gets you 18k elite qualifying and redeemable miles

http://www.wheretocredit.com/calcula...D/SYD-LAX-QF-D

Best option, 35600 redeemable Alaska miles, quite a nice haul for a nice redemption.
Get the Canadian credit card, and 60,000 miles, just like that.

Much better than having 18k orphan AA miles.

The OP is about to discover that there is a much better world outside of Aeroplan, and Air Canada's budget business class.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Best option, 35600 redeemable Alaska miles
+1. AS miles are quite useful, and they haven't devalued nearly as much as their peers.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Toddcan
Update:

I booked option 1, but instead of YYZ-LAX on an Air Canada airbus, I took an earlier flight on the AC Dreamliner with pods. So, I have a few extra hours in the Qantas lounge.
how much$
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Best option, 35600 redeemable Alaska miles, quite a nice haul for a nice redemption.

The OP is about to discover that there is a much better world outside of Aeroplan, and Air Canada's budget business class.
I just joined Alaska Mileage Plan - I don't completely understand the advantages yet, but I'll look into it.

I've quite enjoyed my *A flights in business (the vast majority of my Aeroplan miles are cashed in on lay flat seats on partner airlines. So far so good - but I'm really excited to fly both Qantas and an A380.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I just joined Alaska Mileage Plan - I don't completely understand the advantages yet, but I'll look into it.
You're getting twice as many miles v AA, and their award chart is much better wrt international premium stuff.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I just redeemed my Alaska miles earned from this trip alone for a BUF-SLC return flight. One leg is even in Business/First.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Thanks for the advice. I just redeemed my Alaska miles earned from this trip alone for a BUF-SLC return flight. One leg is even in Business/First.
Welcome to the wonderful world outside of Aeroplan.
And I bet your taxes were <$20.

Hooe you enjoyed your Qantas flights
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Welcome to the wonderful world outside of Aeroplan.
And I bet your taxes were <$20.

Hooe you enjoyed your Qantas flights
$36 in total -yes, a welcome change from the fees I see pop up when looking at AC flights.

The Qantas A380 flight was great. The seats were OK - but not a "pod". They did lay flat into a small shell, which provided a little bit of privacy but the storage around the seat was almost non-existent. The entertainment system was ok - but not outstanding - it retracted into the armrest. I did make use of the lounge up front - was a nice distraction from my seat, and allowed for me to walk around a bit. The snacks and drinks hit the spot at a time when I wanted a snack and didn't want to disturb by sleeping neighbours. Service was great!

My YYZ-LAX on Air Canada Dreamliner in business was fantastic - those pods are the best I've ever sat in. It was only a 6 hr flight, but I was exhausted, so I did sleep - except for being a little cramped around my feet, the pod was outstanding. Tons of storage, countertop space, convenient power, outstanding entertainment system, etc. Service was outstanding!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.