Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Just got asked to fly to MEL in 5 weeks - point me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just got asked to fly to MEL in 5 weeks - point me?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
@OP

I know this won't fit your provided budget as per your boss... But in the few times I flew AC33 to get to MEL, I always did a separate booking on VA ex-SYD. The VA product is top notch. Many FTers helped me see the VA light.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Good luck getting to PPT on Aeroplan points. Im not even sure it's possible.
Originally Posted by echino
It's possible on AA points with TN, but not on Aeroplan. NZ never releases AKL-PPT seats in business class, and very limited amount of economy seats. I checked now and there is not a single seat available in business class until EOS.
Different topic - sorry, I didn't mean for it to be distracting to this thread. Yes, I cannot get to PPT on aeroplan miles only. But, I can get to AKL, and then buy an AKL-PPT seat in economy. Getting to AKL is much easier - likely on UA, but possibly on NZ (all business lay flats).

In case you're terribly bored, my quest is in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ds-search.html
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyzprincess
As I noted upthread I go to MEL every 10-12 weeks for 3 days per trip thus only the shorts route & minimum connections.
United is the best option. LAX-MEL in Mel 9:45AM. March 8:45AM. NA Spring summer, in MEL by 7:45AM.
For OZ summer enough time to book Lunch on day of arrival. NA Spring & summer enough time to book 2 meetings by lunch time on day of arrival.
My route is YYZ-EWR-LAX PS(Lie Flat)-MEL 787( Lie flat).

If you have C$5000.00 budget + some AE miles it is very doable.
You can do YYZ-LAX AC-MEL UA.
Use AE miles to upgrade.
I am doing YYZ-MEL-YYZ mid FEB. In J. Total cost C3590.00 AI using upgrade & all flights upgraded.
PM me your dates. Happy to check upgrade space for you on UA.
I did see your earlier post, and it was very helpful. This is great information. I'll shoot you a PM when I know my dates. I appreciate the help
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[off topic]

Originally Posted by Toddcan
Different topic - sorry, I didn't mean for it to be distracting to this thread. Yes, I cannot get to PPT on aeroplan miles only. But, I can get to AKL, and then buy an AKL-PPT seat in economy. Getting to AKL is much easier - likely on UA, but possibly on NZ (all business lay flats).
Its very difficult to get business class awards on Air NZ. For years they had close to zero availability. But that has changed a little in the last year. Last year I got a AKL SFO business class award on Air NZ with UA ff miles 5 weeks before the flight.

Not that many airlines fly to PPT. Its a popular, albeit expensive, destination. http://tahiti-airport.com/airlines-and-destinations/

[/off topic]
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
What kind of VP just makes up an amount for the ceiling on 20 hours of flying? Sounds like a tool for sure. It costs what it costs.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
What kind of VP just makes up an amount for the ceiling on 20 hours of flying? Sounds like a tool for sure. It costs what it costs.
Travel policies for lots of companies are much, much worse
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The same type of tool who appreciates the fact that the difference between $3500 and $8000 is substantial. Do you rubber stamp your own employees for the $8000 option?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Amazing seat sale from YVR-SYD.

Lets hope AC or at least UA matches.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...-687k-usd.html
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

I suppose I live in a different world than some. Our multi-national manufacturing company normally doesn't even allow for business class travel anymore. We used to be able to fly business if the flight was >6 hours, but 2008 markets happened, and that was changed to economy, or PE now. Just flew to Frankfurt on PE, and it wasn't bad at all. Combine this with the fact that very few flights are needed to Australia in our business - so this is a "one off". Without me asking, the policy says PE - but I simply asked if there could be provisions made for a business class for such a long flight. Also, not sure if you noticed, but I also update the thread half way through where I updated him on the prices I was seeing, and he's lifted the limit - but I still need to be reasonable.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:45 pm

YYZ-YVR-BNE-MEL (AC/AC/QF) Dept Feb 16th Arrival Feb 18th
MEL-CAN-YYZ (CZ/CZ) Dept Feb 25th Arrival Feb 26th

Return has an 8hr layover in CAN

5700$ All J...

You get your points going to mel, coupled with a great product, as well as an "ok" product on the return, all in J. Your flights are changing prices because fares are filed with advanced purchase requirements so

A P fare with a 30 day advanced purchase requirement is 5000, a 14 day is 7000, 7 day is 8500, etc. If those are the only fares filed, then as soon as the 30 day mark is passed, the price immediately jumps 2k. It can also be as easy as the P fares are now sold out on your date and your now into a Z fare which can be several hundred or thousands more expensive. There are few situations where waiting will result in cheaper flights.

Last edited by hearna; Jan 18, 2017 at 12:53 pm
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
[off topic]

Its very difficult to get business class awards on Air NZ. For years they had close to zero availability. But that has changed a little in the last year. Last year I got a AKL SFO business class award on Air NZ with UA ff miles 5 weeks before the flight.

Not that many airlines fly to PPT. Its a popular, albeit expensive, destination. http://tahiti-airport.com/airlines-and-destinations/

[/off topic]
NZ has not J seats to release for upgrades. As an example its 787-900 have just 18 j seats.
NZ is a leisure market or there are not many locals willing to pay for J so the NZ plans its fleet with very few J seats.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by flybit
NZ has not J seats to release for upgrades. As an example its 787-900 have just 18 j seats.
NZ is a leisure market or there are not many locals willing to pay for J so the NZ plans its fleet with very few J seats.
NZ 787 with 18J seats do AKl-MEL/ AKL-SYD. Taken them couple of times last year.
Not AKL-LAX/SFO.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Hopefully this final(?) question gets some visibility. Dates are confirmed. For our dates, the following 3 options are all within +/- $700 of each other.

I'll look up which of these airlines are *Alliance - which is bonus to my AP account.

Recommendations?

(All seats are business class)

Option 1:
YYZ-LAX on AirCanada A321 (flight AC799)
9 hr layover in LAX
LAX-MEL on Qantas A380 (flight QF94)
Total journey time: ~30 hours

Option 2:
YYZ-Dubai on Emirates A380 (Flight EK242)
8 hr layover in Dubai
Dubai-MEL on Emirates 777-300er (Flight EK408)
Total Journey time: ~36 hours

Option 3:
YYZ-Abu Dhabi on Etihad 777-300er (Flight EY140)
10 hr layover in Abu Dhabi
AbuDabi - MEL on Etihad A380(flight EY460)
Total Journey time: ~37 hours

Last edited by Toddcan; Jan 27, 2017 at 11:38 am
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: AC SE
I'll look up which of these airlines are *Alliance - which is bonus to my AP account.
In all the carriers you listed, only AC is *A, unfortunately.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hopefully this final(?) question gets some visibility. Dates are confirmed. For our dates, the following 3 options are all within +/- $700 of each other.

I would be looking at
(a) the trip back. Transit time & total journey time will be different
(b) the actual departure & arrival times (both ways)

Frequent flyer programms
www.wheretocredit.com/ac
www.wheretocredit.com/QF is an AA & AS ff partner
www.wheretocredit.com/EK is an AS ff partner
www.wheretocredit.com/ey is an AA ff partner

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.