Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Best route to get to SYD in Business from YUL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Hello,

Planning a trip for 2 to Sydney next Feb on reward tickets and looking for the best possible route. Will need to book in a couple of weeks so simulating now. So far my options, by preference:

1- YUL-ORD/ORD-HND/HND SYD - By far best option: ANA+ low taxes is a winner. Downside: can't find 2 tickets on Business HND-SYD no matter what dates I look

2- YUL-YVR / YVR - SYD - just one connection (when direct YUL-YVR available!), high taxes (but not a sow stopper), not sure about the experience (AC+777-200). Anyone done it?

3- YUL-LAX / LAX - ICN / ICN - SYD - advantage LAX-ICN is great on business

4- YUL - YYZ / YYZ- ICN (on AC's 787) /ICN - SYD

Any recommendations or other options I didn't consider? Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by spartac
Hello,

Planning a trip for 2 to Sydney next Feb on reward tickets and looking for the best possible route. Will need to book in a couple of weeks so simulating now. So far my options, by preference:

1- YUL-ORD/ORD-HND/HND SYD - By far best option: ANA+ low taxes is a winner. Downside: can't find 2 tickets on Business HND-SYD no matter what dates I look

2- YUL-YVR / YVR - SYD - just one connection (when direct YUL-YVR available!), high taxes (but not a sow stopper), not sure about the experience (AC+777-200). Anyone done it?

Have you considered flying over the atlantic? YUL-IST-BKK-SYD for example? Or YUL-ZRH-ICN-SYD? LX has a pretty good business class (so does TK for that matter).
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:42 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Lightbulb Huh, Never Thought Of Going THAT Way???

Originally Posted by Canibus
Have you considered flying over the atlantic? YUL-IST-BKK-SYD for example? Or YUL-ZRH-ICN-SYD? LX has a pretty good business class (so does TK for that matter).
What an interesting idea!
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Best possible route is whatever is available. SYD is very difficult to obtain business class
tickets, especially all the way and for 2 seats. If anything is available, grab it.
You could always try to fine tune at a later date, or when the inevitable schedule change comes up.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan
In Feb 2016 flew YYZ-IST-SIN-MEL on AE Biz for 2 people. Downside was the 10 hr layover in IST (upside was the lounge!) I didn't try for hotel as didn't want to pay for visa. There was virtually no options available to fly SGN to SYD but several into MEL. We stopped for a few days in SIN before heading on. On return we flew MEL-PEK-CDG (Air China)stop for 5 days - YYZ. I gather there are too many problems with reservations on Air China now so don't know that I would risk it. Just thought I'd pass along the idea.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Did you check out NRT? Not sure if AE booking engine would show both airports if you just requested HND. Alternatively, I've found good award availability in premium cabins via PEK or PVG to Australia and CA isn't a bad airline in the front cabin. Even NZ space is often available if they haven't cut that route (NZ PVG/PEK-AKL-SYD).
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: *G
I recently booked one seat, all J in late March/early April:
YYZ-TPE-HKG, BR, Stop
HKG-ICN-SYD, OZ, Stop
SYD-BKK-SIN, TG & SQ, Stop
SIN-TPE-YYZ, BR

Quite a few other options, particularly involving TG.

It appeared that going via Europe with the stops in HKG and SIN as well as SYD as the destination was going to exceed the MPM, although seats were available. .
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:46 am

Just did this last May. Round trip on Business. I think I paid around $450 in taxes.

YYZ-SFO
SFO-ICN
ICN-SYD

Originally Posted by spartac
Hello,

Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:23 pm

Trip to SYD in Oct

I managed to book 2 J seats YUL-YVR-HND-SYD. The AE site wasn't showing that option, I found it manually by looking at each segment. Had to call to book it and was not able to get the booking fee cancelled.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Yul67
I managed to book 2 J seats YUL-YVR-HND-SYD. The AE site wasn't showing that option, I found it manually by looking at each segment. Had to call to book it and was not able to get the booking fee cancelled.
I'm saving miles for a similar ticket. If you dont mind me asking, how much were the taxes in total? I imagine the carrier surcharge is high?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by Chris101
Just did this last May. Round trip on Business. I think I paid around $450 in taxes.

YYZ-SFO
SFO-ICN
ICN-SYD
I've similar but routing via LAX, with the LAX-ICN in F.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: *void
Helped a friend with this one last year:

YUL-IST (TK-J)
IST-BKK (TK-J)
BKK-SYD (TG-J) POT
---
SYD-SIN (SQ-J) stopover
---
SIN-NRT (NH-J) stopover
---
NRT-ORD (NH-J)
ORD-YUL (AC-J)

Cut out NRT try TPE on BR, in lieu of NRT and NH, to save on some fees.
I posted it here.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Helped a friend with this one last year:

YUL-IST (TK-J)
IST-BKK (TK-J)
BKK-SYD (TG-J) POT
---
SYD-SIN (SQ-J) stopover
---
SIN-NRT (NH-J) stopover
---
NRT-ORD (NH-J)
ORD-YUL (AC-J)

Cut out NRT try TPE on BR, in lieu of NRT and NH, to save on some fees.
I posted it here.
Sweet! thaks for the reference.
Is it the norm that you have to book shortly after release dates (360 days) ?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Fa Hz
Sweet! thaks for the reference.
Is it the norm that you have to book shortly after release dates (360 days) ?
It certainly makes things easier if you snatch them up early after they are released, but not all airline release seats that far ahead in advance. For egs., UA and LX are 330 days, I believe. Plus, and someone like Master-rankourabu can confirm, I believe the airlines will all continue to trickle in new award inventory throughout the year.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
It certainly makes things easier if you snatch them up early after they are released, but not all airline release seats that far ahead in advance. For egs., UA and LX are 330 days, I believe. Plus, and someone like Master-rankourabu can confirm, I believe the airlines will all continue to trickle in new award inventory throughout the year.
Good to know that UA have different release dates, thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.