Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Shooting at FLL Airport T2 [AC Terminal]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shooting at FLL Airport T2 [AC Terminal]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
As for the news reporting that he arrived on AC to FLL, it can't be helped that AC and DL share the same terminal. In the mayhem of miscommunication that surrounds these events, it became a bad case of broken telephone.

It is rather unfortunate that AC may have to spend time clearing that up assuming the world media don't correct themselves.

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 6, 2017 at 2:41 pm Reason: off topic
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by segacs
Not sure why it matters. Except that my US friends are suddenly asking me about Canada's gun laws with respect to checked luggage, and I have to admit I don't have a clue 'cause I've never owned a gun and don't know anyone who does. It does strike me as odd that a gun and ammunition would be allowed in luggage, when even a water bottle isn't.
Air Canada's requirements to transport firearms can be found here.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...quip.html#none
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Where does this fall in the IRROPS category? Is it like weather? Will Air Canada regard this as a matter outside of their control and treat passengers accordingly?
I would expect uncontrollable and hold any airline accountable to only that standard.

Originally Posted by 24left
As for the news reporting that he arrived on AC to FLL, it can't be helped that AC and DL share the same terminal. In the mayhem of miscommunication that surrounds these events, it became a bad case of broken telephone.

It is rather unfortunate that AC may have to spend time clearing that up assuming the world media don't correct themselves.
AC or DL, I don't see how the actions of one former passenger affects the reputation of the airline, especially after he (and his baggage) were safely carried to final destination. I suppose if he later said the flight angered him over the edge? Bad snacks?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:00 pm

Not sure why it matters. Except that my US friends are suddenly asking me about Canada's gun laws with respect to checked luggage, and I have to admit I don't have a clue 'cause I've never owned a gun and don't know anyone who does. It does strike me as odd that a gun and ammunition would be allowed in luggage, when even a water bottle isn't.
Steady stream of checked guns (rifles) and ammunition to and from Canada during hunting season.

nothing odd about it at all
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I'm watching Fox news and whomever they contracted with as the onsite reporter is still saying a Canadian airline then goes on to say he went ANC-MSP-FLL

oy vey

I know as FT'ers we know this stuff off the top of our head (had to be DL) but geez after the statements by the Canadian embassy one would think that they would at least hold off on that Canadian airline part
Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:30 pm
Suspended

"He left Anchorage, Alaska at 10.02pm local last night, flew overnight to Minneapolis and changed there to another Delta flight to Fort Lauderdale, which was due to arrive at 12.12pm local time on Friday."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7513976.html

So, how is AC going to deal with the media who keep repeating he flew them?

And perhaps start with this person

"Earlier, Chip LaMarca, a Broward County commissioner told the Associated Press the suspect was a passenger flight on a Canadian flight."

http://globalnews.ca/news/3165466/fo...ed-as-shooter/
Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 24left
"He left Anchorage, Alaska at 10.02pm local last night, flew overnight to Minneapolis and changed there to another Delta flight to Fort Lauderdale, which was due to arrive at 12.12pm local time on Friday."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7513976.html

So, how is AC going to deal with the media who keep repeating he flew them?

And perhaps start with this person

"Earlier, Chip LaMarca, a Broward County commissioner told the Associated Press the suspect was a passenger flight on a Canadian flight."

http://globalnews.ca/news/3165466/fo...ed-as-shooter/
The suspect was a passenger flight?!?!

Was anyone on him?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
The suspect was a passenger flight?!?!

Was anyone on him?
That's exactly how Global reported it. No time for proofreading.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: AC
As of this moment both rouge flights (1602 and 1622) are still on the taxiway and are unable to offload pax.

Once everything is clear I believe 1602 will leave for MIA.

All flight between YUL/YYZ-FLL have been CXX for the night.

ROU1652 YUL-MIA up gaged to B763 to fly extra pax down.

Tomorrow all FLL flights seem to be on time.

Extra sections created for YUL-MIA AC2050 departure at 10am B77W and ROU1990 B763 departure at 6am
Extra section created for YYZ-MIA AC2040 departure at 8:10am B77L.

Last edited by alexdelzotto; Jan 6, 2017 at 5:41 pm
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Air Canada's requirements to transport firearms can be found here.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...quip.html#none
Within AC's page it says what it counts as one item for baggage charge purposes: "One rifle case containing no more than two rifles (with or without scope) plus 5 kg (11 lb) ammunition (packaged separately), one shooting mat, noise suppressors and small rifle tools"

Within Canada, noise suppressors are considered prohibited weapons, so I'm surprised AC would list them as suitable for transport.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
• [Suspect Esteban] Santiago flew from Anchorage to Minneapolis and then to Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport on Delta, a law enforcement and aviation security source told CNN.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/06/us/for...ent/index.html

Yeah, not AC after all. Remember that in the initial reports of a breaking story, the media always gets these things wrong.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: E50K
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/06/us/for...ent/index.html

Yeah, not AC after all. Remember that in the initial reports of a breaking story, the media always gets these things wrong.
It is so easy to blame the media! CNN and the others did not invent the incorrect information, it was provided by a county commissioner. When news is breaking, journalists are supposed to talk to people in authority. They did that; they were given bad data by someone who probably had been given bad data by someone else.

Yes, a mistake was made, but that should not fuel a sweeping generalization. Always gets things wrong? Here is the initial news bulletin from The Associated Press, in its entirety. I don't see errors, yet there must be some, if you are correct about always.

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
FT. LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Reports: Shots fired at Ft. Lauderdale airport.

And yes, I was paying attention; I heard CNN's silly report that it had been an AC flight from Alaska, and I knew that statement would be corrected in due course. I am not saying everything was perfect. The media is not always right, the media is not always wrong.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by DaveObee
Yes, a mistake was made, but that should not fuel a sweeping generalization.

Always gets things wrong?The media is not always right, the media is not always wrong.
As before, I for one value your reasoned and insightful responses.

But please do NOT really expect rationality from some, even for an instance, before they hit "Submit Reply".

e.g. supposedly knowledgeable and senior U.S. politicians continue to ascribe 9/11 perpetrators entered via Canada - which has been thoroughly refuted, but stories persist because of intellectual laziness.

And in the media cycle around this particular tragedy, Canada will soon be forgotten once the investigation gets a bit further along, and circumstances better come to light around the assailants motives and history.

and the posts you correctly disparage really deserve to be ignored, or better yet laughed at for what they really are...a testament to whatever failed schooling such individuals have received.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by expert7700
My wife just said CNN reported passenger had travelled from Alaska to Ft Lauderdale via Canada. I replied instantly "not possible. cabotage."

I thought instantly "Possible. Two tickets".

(Nothwithstanding the FT nerd in me wondering if ANC is served this time of year?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.