Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition , and 2016 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs or should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply her as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Sean Peever
FT Poster
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:34 am

doing immigration at Changi today I noticed it is unlawful to proceed through the exit immigration if you do not intend to travel even if you hold a valid boarding pass.

I wonder how this is enforced?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
doing immigration at Changi today I noticed it is unlawful to proceed through the exit immigration if you do not intend to travel even if you hold a valid boarding pass.

I'm sure it's just an empty threat. It's not as though there is a robust history of law enforcement in Singapore.
quantumofforce likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canopus27
I'm sure it's just an empty threat. It's not as though there is a robust history of law enforcement in Singapore.
Ok, but can I walk around naked in my Singapore hotel room?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Originally Posted by yyznomad
So long as you're not chewing gum and then spit out of the window and onto the sidewalk, your choice of clothing from EmperorsRUs shouldn't be a problem.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Marlin240
So long as you're not chewing gum and then spit out of the window and onto the sidewalk, your choice of clothing from EmperorsRUs shouldn't be a problem.
At least there are no laws regarding comfort mongeese.

Or is there.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Absolutely. No problem. As long as you have the curtains closed. Oh, and tape over the peephole in the door. And there are no recording devices in your room. And your eyes are closed. And it's dark. And you have clothes over the outside of your naked body.

Then, it's all good.
smallmj likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canopus27
Absolutely. No problem. As long as you have the curtains closed. Oh, and tape over the peephole in the door. And there are no recording devices in your room. And your eyes are closed. And it's dark. And you have clothes over the outside of your naked body.

Then, it's all good.
I will never sin in SIN.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
I will never sin in SIN.
I wonder if Cardinal Sin ever visited SIN.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
At the risk of sounding like a RCHHMP agent, I feel it necessary to advise you that a couch in a MLL does not make it your hotel room. Please cover your feet. That will satisfy Two-Four's concern.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Surreal experience at YYZ this morning: around 10 am I was cycling along Corvair, which runs parallel to the 6/24 runways just to the south (but north of the 401), and I could hear the (very loud) planes taking off but the fog was so thick I couldn't see them at all.

Wonder what it's like to be a pilot in those conditions - visibility was as bad as I've ever seen it.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by quantumofforce

Ah the old, use the lounge for lunch/dinner scam.

In all honesty, I never found the J lounge in SIN to be anything 'that' special. It is nice but average as lounges go. It is though, vastly superior to the *G lounge they make you use if you are not travelling in J.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Ah the old, use the lounge for lunch/dinner scam.

In all honesty, I never found the J lounge in SIN to be anything 'that' special. It is nice but average as lounges go. It is though, vastly superior to the *G lounge they make you use if you are not travelling in J.
TPR might be worth it. But I'd rather spend the money downtown on a meal than on the Ubers required to get to and from SIN.

No one in their right mind would go to an airport lounge just for a meal
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I'm at a point where I will stop giving my (FOTSG) travel advice to those who ask.

Person: yyznomad, in this situation, what do we need to do?
Me: you need to do A, B, and C.
Person: ok thanks.
weeks later...
Person: yyznomad! we got screwed!
Me: did you do as I told you?
Person: No, we did X, Y, Z.
Me: Ok, well go pound sand then.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
TPR might be worth it. But I'd rather spend the money downtown on a meal than on the Ubers required to get to and from SIN.

No one in their right mind would go to an airport lounge just for a meal
Not 'an' airport lounge. But when there are 4 or 5....

Like in SFO: you never know what UA lounge has a fresher tray of brownies out, until the 3rd lounge.

Closest we came to using a lounge and not flyng was BKK last week. EVA lounge acted like we were criminals when we asked them to delete our boarding passes and uncheck us in because we were cancelling our flight in favor of another route that had last minute Aeroplan avail. They ran after us to a xfer desk and made us return to their lounge to scan our new *G (TG) boarding passes. Who knows what they'd have done if we had switched to a non *G carrier.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Years ago I was at SIN and there was a larger American lady who was getting told off because her thong decided to pop out of her jeans when she bent over. The police certainly were not very fond of the sight they saw (neither was I, to be honest). It's trashy, and trash is illegal in Singapore...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.