Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AQD: The view from a segment-running bottom feeder

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AQD: The view from a segment-running bottom feeder

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:33 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by YOWgary
It's Flyertalk, where each poster believes that the "correct" number of AQM for status is one less than they flew; the "fair" number of AQDs is one less than they spent, and that only the fare classes they book are 'profitable enough' to deserve benefits.

Ahem... that's MY line.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 12:19 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by YEGcg
+1

With AQD levels to reach, I don't see the difference between pax who pad itineraries with miles or segments.

Also, there's the myth that Tango fares are not profitable for AC. AC sets prices for fares to achieve maximum profitability, overall. Sometimes that means that Tango is half the price of Flex, while other times it's only a few % less (or more, once you include the Tango baggage fee); look at the fare differences on YYZYOW or YYCYVR. However you slice and dice it, AC is profit maximizing via all of the seats it sells - they just usually happen to make more (or lose less) with the higher fare buckets.

And yet, there are people on this forum who believe that someone flying round trip bi-weekly YYZYOW or YYTYDF, etc on a Tango fare, paying a much higher CPM than those flying monthly Flex transcons, are somehow less worthy of being considered a good customer of AC. And why? Because of competition for upgrades? (sorry, that bi-weekly Tango flyer can't upgrade) A busier priority boarding line? (As if someone boarding when Zone 1/2 is called is forced to gate check) A longer line up for lounge pickles?
My favorite is people who state "Tango is not profitable" as an incontrovertible fact then boast about flying $2500 P fares to JNB.

Remember, someone who buys discounted economy is a burden on the airline whereas someone who buys discounted business or first is a discerning, savvy customer.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Interesting -- looking at changes to AA program and their introduction of AQD. Seems that some credit card spend is applicable?:

"Following the lead of its two main competitors, Delta and United, the Fort Worth-based carrier is introducing a revenue component for the traveler to earn and maintain status. In addition to elite qualifying miles or elite qualifying segments, AAdvantage members will need to spend $3,000 on qualifying air travel to maintain Gold status, $6,000 for Platinum, $9,000 for Platinum Pro, and $12,000 for Executive Platinum.

While there is no direct credit card waiver similar to what Delta offers certain American Express cardmembers, AAdvantage members can earn an equivalent of up to $6,000 in elite qualifying dollars through the use of American Airlines-branded credit cards from Barclays."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.