Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada missed connection rights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

I am flying BRU-YUL-LGA next week. After studying flightaware data of these flights I found that it is not so unlikely, that I might miss my connection to LGA.
So my question is hypothetical.

As my travel plans changed I am thinking if I could use such a situation to my favour.

Actually I need to go to YYZ. Do you think they would allow to change the destination to YYZ. If not, would they allow to terminate the itineary in YUL or do I have to rebook and get on the next available flight to LGA?

It is return ticket and of course I do not want to loose my return flight.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: NEXUS GE, TSA-Pre, AC E50K
Is your entire trip booked on one PNR or did you do separate bookings?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by knotseh
Is your entire trip booked on one PNR or did you do separate bookings?
One PNR
Old Nov 13, 2016, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I would suggest calling reservations if you misconnect, and tell them what you want. I find they're generally pretty willing to rebook things in IRROPS as long as you're making reasonable requests (i.e. don't ask to go to HKG instead).
Old Nov 13, 2016, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Kapi1904
One PNR
Since you're on one PNR then AC will accommodate you. YUL-LGA flights are like every hour to two hours during the day. There's a bunch.
You're correct in thinking YYZ is a better option to getting to LGA as they're almost hourly and there are more of them but I doubt they'll let you change it ahead of time unless they're aware of some major delay coming up.
If you do misconnect, AC will protect you on the next available flight. Cow is right, if you are delayed and do wish to transit through YYZ, they may fly you through YYZ then to LGA but my bet is that they will protect a seat for you on an upcoming flight and tell you to sit back and relax.
Also. Your flight lands around noon. You have a solid 7 hours or so of "extra time" until the last YUL-LGA flight of the day.

Last edited by knotseh; Nov 13, 2016 at 2:47 pm
Old Nov 13, 2016, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

It is not about connecting in YYZ. I would like to terminate my journey there. But I understand that it is not very likely to get rebooked to YYZ. But what about just staying in YUL if i miss the flight to LGA. Will they really force me to take the next flight?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 2:49 pm

It is not about connecting in YYZ. I would like to terminate my journey there. But I understand that it is not very likely to get rebooked to YYZ. But what about just staying in YUL if i miss the flight to LGA. Will they really force me to take the next flight?
Oh sorry. Totally misread your original post while I was on the bus. They won't force you to take your LGA flight. But if you call ahead to change the destination, my guess is its a $200 fee plus any difference.

I guess you could hope for irrops and reservations allowing you to transit YYZ, or you just book another flight altogether.

I'd call reservations and ask so you at least have the facts. They won't do anything until you say yes.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Also depends if you have checked luggage. If you do you pretty much have no option.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by cooleddie
Also depends if you have checked luggage. If you do you pretty much have no option.
True. Didn't think of that. Could he not ask them to short check the bag to YUL or is that not allowed anymore with the new pre-clearance procedures?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

I will take carry-on bag only. The fare rules state it is a 200$ change fee. So if AC is not able to accommodate my request I'll just stick to my current plans.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just to be clear, OP says he is on one PNR, but is it one ticket or two tickets? Tickets, not PNR's are what matter.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Very unlikely that AC will allow you to change your destination from LGA to YYZ if there are still flights available that day to get you to LGA. If you arrive so late that you can't catch the connector until the next morning, I would think that you could tell them that you missed whatever you had to do in LGA and take me to YYZ instead.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Just to be clear, OP says he is on one PNR, but is it one ticket or two tickets? Tickets, not PNR's are what matter.
True - I asked the wrong question. Of course PNRs can be merged...etc.

I will take carry-on bag only. The fare rules state it is a 200$ change fee. So if AC is not able to accommodate my request I'll just stick to my current plans.
Your best bet is to call, clarify and confirm what you're seeing.

Then just book a one-way from LGA to YYZ. They're generally pretty cheap and you'll get an extra AQS
If you end up sending time here let me know and we can try and hang out!
Old Nov 13, 2016, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The Lev
Very unlikely that AC will allow you to change your destination from LGA to YYZ if there are still flights available that day to get you to LGA. If you arrive so late that you can't catch the connector until the next morning, I would think that you could tell them that you missed whatever you had to do in LGA and take me to YYZ instead.
This, but I think reservations will be more willing/able to do this than any airport agent.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by knotseh
Then just book a one-way from LGA to YYZ. They're generally pretty cheap and you'll get an extra AQS
Wouldn't it be cheaper to book a separate YUL-YYZ and just 'misconnect' on flight to LGA.

Or even a one-way car rental can sometimes be reasonable on costcotravel.

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.