Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is Air Canada allowed to ask for the purpose of my travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Air Canada allowed to ask for the purpose of my travel?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by keitherson
This has been bugging me for awhile. In contrast to every US carrier and international carrier I've flown with, they have never asked me for the "purpose of my travel". If they do ask, it's optional.

Obviously, such information is extremely proprietary: Air Canada wants to know who is flying where and for what reason, especially if they want to capture high-value business fliers.

For check-ins, Air Canada prevents you from actually checking in unless you give them the reason for your trip.

I have never seen any other carrier do this: UA/AA/DL/AS will ask you for destination address (if needed) or just travel document verification at check-in. They don't ask you for the purpose of your trip: that's for the immigration officers.

Obviously, this is something that they would datamine for value. Is this actually legal? Are they just using document formalities as a way to extract information on their fliers?

And don't worry, my phone is being charged now.
This question is asked for Transborder flights. It is a requirement of the US government. My last UA flight into the US, I was asked the same question, plus what hotel I was staying in.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
I've been asked this by LH on intra-EU flights, which is mildly annoying as an EU citizen.

'Transit' wasn't an option, when I was actually transiting FRA on two tickets.

Travelling to a country I'm not a citizen/resident of, it makes sense. Could also easily be for research purposes.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by Skatering
'Transit' wasn't an option, when I was actually transiting FRA on two tickets.

Travelling to a country I'm not a citizen/resident of, it makes sense. Could also easily be for research purposes.
Just say "leisure" when "transit" isn't an option. After all, if you're going to hang out in the airport lounge, that's relaxing, right?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I've never noticed this especially, but then as a UK citizen I have to give my address in the US three times before I can get past TB customs (one being the checkin machine). Annoys me under the generic inefficiency of it all.

I assumed that AC were giving this information through to the US where I also fill it on my little blue form as well as APIS/ESTA.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I find it much more annoying when agents won't give you a boarding pass until you tell them what you do for a living and what you're going to do at your destination.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I am certain this is simply provide to CBP et al. While it is rather redundant since the officer or GE kiosk is going to ask you anyway, the redundancy doesn't have a down-side for them. They supply that information to CBP, and when you scan your card and fingerprints, the GE kiosk already knows your flight and just asks you to confirm it. I suppose if you answered your purpose of travel differently than you did on check-in, they might pay closer attention.
Worrying about dual purpose trips is overthinking things. Even the government of China did not care that I was doing both a convention and some sightseeing.Many trips are mixed business and leisure. You simply check the primary one. Are you taking a week vacation and grabbing a meeting when you happen to be there? Or are you doing a wine tour before going home from a week's conference. It's not that precise a hair to split. It's not like most of us are being shadowed by private detectives tracking how much of the time we're enjoying ourselves, at the ready to accuse of of rating 51:49 the wrong way. (And as I enjoy my work trips, it would really confuse them.)
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: TK *G
There is one more thing to consider: does AC use this information during IRROPS. Like when everything else equals AC accomodate business travellers first then leisure travellers. For this reason I select business every time for domestic travels or to countries where visa is not a concern.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by songsc
There is one more thing to consider: does AC use this information during IRROPS.
I've never seen any evidence of this. Unless you have any proof that they do, I'd say it's probably well beyond their IT capabilities.

Nah, the simplest explanation is usually the right one: AC collects this information for trans-border and int'l flights to feed to border authorities if requested, and for document checks. Anything else is probably wishful thinking.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by songsc
There is one more thing to consider: does AC use this information during IRROPS. Like when everything else equals AC accomodate business travellers first then leisure travellers. For this reason I select business every time for domestic travels or to countries where visa is not a concern.
Where have you read that any airline does this?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Depending on your destination (plus country of passport, etc.) the purpose of travel can make a difference as to whether you need a visa or not.

Personal example:
Citizenship/Passport: Canadian
Destination: Thailand
Purpose of travel: leisure = no visa required
Purpose of travel: business = visa required

--
13F
BTW somewhat off topic, but specifically for Thailand, they have never in my knowledge actually enforced this. i've always been there as a tourist, as have many of my colleagues. I actually called up their consulate in Toronto many yrs ago when i had to leave immediately for a biz trip - i was told just to declare myself as a tourist.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by karachi
BTW somewhat off topic, but specifically for Thailand, they have never in my knowledge actually enforced this. i've always been there as a tourist, as have many of my colleagues. I actually called up their consulate in Toronto many yrs ago when i had to leave immediately for a biz trip - i was told just to declare myself as a tourist.
I never get asked any questions by Thai Immigration. But since I work in border security, and was planning to meet with the government on my current trip (was there two days ago), I do not take chances declaring myself as a tourist when I am not. That is in spite of the fact that the Thai visa application forms and instructions are incredibly confusing and it would so much simpler to just show up at the border.
--
13F
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by flyquiet
I am certain this is simply provide to CBP et al.
As well as to the CBSA for exit travel scoring and reporting to various international agencies as necessary.

While it is rather redundant since the officer or GE kiosk is going to ask you anyway,

Actually, quite the opposite. Inconsistencies in your declaration is an effective tool to probe further, up to being charged for a false declaration, that can have a serious impact on your entry/exit traveler risk score. Or just give you a reason to deny entry. Whichever international customs officer you deal with and how they feel that day.

I suppose if you answered your purpose of travel differently than you did on check-in, they might pay closer attention.
Ding Ding Ding. Except replace 'might' for grounds for leveraging the situation however they see fit.

Worrying about dual purpose trips is overthinking things.
For developing countries, yes. For developed countries (especially those belonging to the five eyes) quite the opposite.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:54 am

Programs: On Sabbatical, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I find it much more annoying when agents won't give you a boarding pass until you tell them what you do for a living and what you're going to do at your destination.
Some knob from some security firm tried to pull this on me at BRU when I was connecting from GVA to YUL. Tried to make me answer several immigration-style questions before he would "DOC_OK" my boarding pass.

Reason of trip was that my father was dying. I felt no need to explain, as a Canadian citizen travelling to Canada, to a European why I was doing so. I told him as such and eventually he relented. I told him I am a Canadian citizen traveling to Canada with a Canadian passport, that that is all he needed to know, and could he kindly stamp the BP.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Originally Posted by YYZ_TVGuy
Some knob from some security firm tried to pull this on me at BRU when I was connecting from GVA to YUL. Tried to make me answer several immigration-style questions before he would "DOC_OK" my boarding pass.

Reason of trip was that my father was dying. I felt no need to explain, as a Canadian citizen travelling to Canada, to a European why I was doing so. I told him as such and eventually he relented. I told him I am a Canadian citizen traveling to Canada with a Canadian passport, that that is all he needed to know, and could he kindly stamp the BP.
they have these idiots at IST, FRA, LHR as well. they wait at the gate and ask the non "old stock canadians" questions like "hows the weather in Toronto" and "where do you live in Toronto". i once answered "24 Sussex Drive".
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Finnair Platinum
Originally Posted by karachi
they have these idiots at IST, FRA, LHR as well. they wait at the gate and ask the non "old stock canadians" questions like "hows the weather in Toronto" and "where do you live in Toronto". i once answered "24 Sussex Drive".
Ahahaha, IST is THE WORST. I handed in my Canadian passport, and they were like "what are you going to do there?". Umm eat pickles at MLL lounge?? The worst is when they pull out their camera and took the front page of your passport like

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.