Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New YYC International Terminal - Opens Oct 31/16

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New YYC International Terminal - Opens Oct 31/16

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Hi OP!

Thanks for the amazing report.Any chance you took some pictures?

For those about to rock on the October 5 and later trials, there is absolutely no photos to be taken during the trials. Photo taking is grounds for immediate ejection from the trials.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
So is One Stop Security not in place yet?
There is a corridor for OSS. Far corner of the connections primary inspection line is a door that leads to the OSS connections corridor. There are two CBSA primary inspection stations with numbers 3 & 4 above them, the CBSA officer confirms the traveler is not selected for secondary, is eligible for OSS and opens the door. There is an airline component to OSS. AC-AC and WS-WS connections are eligible, rumour is that UA-AC connections is imminent.

There is a second connections corridor process for anyone not eligible for OSS. This process occurs after the traveller exits the bag claim hall.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by 24left
THIS !!!!!!

I look at YYZ T1, and I wonder what the GTAA etc were thinking when they built a nice, new terminal with no food offerings landside except a Tim's and Starbucks etc.

Either the GTAA did not want to free up "real estate" for proper eateries, or the planner could not conceive the possibility of providing nice places to eat landside, thinking a quick drive onto Dixon or Airport Road would solve the problem.

At least YVR has a few options in that centre food area and some nice artwork and places to sit.
From a modern terminal development perspective, the airport wants all traveler to be restricted to checkin, bag drop, preboard security on the landslide. Once through the majority of departure formalities the traveler is then exposed to food and retail options.

The restriction on landslide activities is born out of pax who miss their international flight and then claim they did not know International wide body flights board 45 minutes prior to departure. In some people's minds, they should be able to check two hours before departure, then have a sit down meal for 1.5 hours and still make their flight.

With specific reference to YYC new terminal, inside the new Marriott is a full service dining style restaurant. There is also a second option at the Delta hotel located across from AC Domestic checkin.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Is it the same YVR model that requires you to exit landside and trek to the E gates yourself if you want to use NEXUS?
The YYC new terminal is the most technologically advanced Aiport in Canada and possibly the world. In most instances there is no option to use manual paper based methods. For the technology challenged, the aiport has hired 300 college aged "kids" to assist travelers through the process.

There are Nexus / Global entry machines as appropriate at the connections areas for both CBSA and USCBP.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by WR Cage
From a modern terminal development perspective, the airport wants all traveler to be restricted to checkin, bag drop, preboard security on the landslide. Once through the majority of departure formalities the traveler is then exposed to food and retail options.

The restriction on landslide activities is born out of pax who miss their international flight and then claim they did not know International wide body flights board 45 minutes prior to departure. In some people's minds, they should be able to check two hours before departure, then have a sit down meal for 1.5 hours and still make their flight.

With specific reference to YYC new terminal, inside the new Marriott is a full service dining style restaurant. There is also a second option at the Delta hotel located across from AC Domestic checkin.
Ah, thanks for explaining.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:47 am

The divest station for preboard security xray machines is as described above. 5 travelers stand shoulder to shoulder to fill grey bins (smaller than the white bins used at checkpoint C but larger than grey bins used by the Americans). Issue is that your divest station will only fit two bins at once. The only way to get a third bin is to place the previous bin on the conveyor belt that leads to the xray machine. Problem is that if you need three bins your first bin is going to get separated from the last two because other travelers are divesting upstream of you. Also, if you are at the farthest divest station from the xray machine there is a wait for the bins while people downstream take additional bins. Overall CATSA will have to change their processes to get everyone to adhere to the 2 bins per traveler set up.
Is everything to be put in the bin including the carry-ons or just jackets, belts etc?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by cooleddie
No MLL?
No, just the pay per use lounges
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
I haven't been to YYC in a while. Is the MLL accessible to international customers, or is it truly a separate terminal? Are there plans for another MLL?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:58 am

There is a corridor for OSS. Far corner of the connections primary inspection line is a door that leads to the OSS connections corridor. There are two CBSA primary inspection stations with numbers 3 & 4 above them, the CBSA officer confirms the traveler is not selected for secondary, is eligible for OSS and opens the door. There is an airline component to OSS. AC-AC and WS-WS connections are eligible, rumour is that UA-AC connections is imminent.

There is a second connections corridor process for anyone not eligible for OSS. This process occurs after the traveller exits the bag claim hall.
Finally. This is why I never transit YYZ returning to YYC because it's a huge hassle to clear customs and go back through security. I always try to transit to INTL or U.S. directly from outbound airport.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by j_the_p
I haven't been to YYC in a while. Is the MLL accessible to international customers, or is it truly a separate terminal? Are there plans for another MLL?
MLL is domestic only. I was hoping with the new terminal they'd put one in, but no - just the two pay per use ones.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: air miles

Wasn't T3 at YYZ designed with an extensive land side shopping/dining/etc retail court and eventually found to be a flop? Passengers want to get through security as quickly as possible, those providing transportation to/from the airport rarely stick around very long after dropping off/meeting their party.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
MLL is domestic only. I was hoping with the new terminal they'd put one in, but no - just the two pay per use ones.
Currently it is domestic and international, just not US.

I would assume international departures would still have access to an MLL after the new terminal opens?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Finally. This is why I never transit YYZ returning to YYC because it's a huge hassle to clear customs and go back through security. I always try to transit to INTL or U.S. directly from outbound airport.
???

Are we mixing to and from here?

Flying back to Canada and having to connect anywhere entails going through immigration and security before the connection, not just at YYZ. Of course that will change when OSS becomes a reality, for those with access.

Not sure what transiting directly *to* US or international has to do with the first sentence though?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The YYC new terminal is the most technologically advanced Aiport in Canada and possibly the world. In most instances there is no option to use manual paper based methods.
Am I the only one to find that scary?

Imagine the mess AC can get into when coming to IT... No paper backup?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by j_the_p
It's a short (3-5 min) walk from the MLL to the International departures area, and I think part of the substantial renovation done to the MLL was in anticipation that it will be utilized for international customers as well. From what I could see, there is no physical barrier between domestic and international departures, the question will be whether there is a boarding pass check to enter the international zone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.