Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

points.com points exchange - need your advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2002, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Has anybody ever exchanged their reward points through www.points.com?

I thinking about exchanging my Aeroplan points to Esso Extra points. I have 27,265 Aeroplan points. At points.com I can exchange them for 29,934 Esso Extra points. [ 1 aeroplan points = 1.09789 Esso Extra points at this level] I would like to get Esso Extra points because I can convert them into HBC Reward points (formerly Club Z points). I could collect a few more Esso Extra points to convert 30,000 Esso Extra points into 1.5 million HBC Reward points. This would double my existing HBC Rewards balance and get me closer to redeeming my points for a large projection TV. [At 3 million HBC reward points a can probably find a reward with a $1000 retail value.]

[note: converting 30,000 Esso Extra points would yield about 4000 Aeroplan points and that's a bad deal]
Old Nov 25, 2002, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aeroplan has indicated that they intend to have new partners for higher end redemption.

Who knows...perhaps you will be able to redeem miles at Future Shop and get that TV!
Old Nov 25, 2002, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
A big screen t.v. for 27265 AP miles? Forgetaboutit.

Tough call on the points.com thing, but I'd say hang on to the AC AP points and wait until Futureshop has some promo like 10,000 miles for big screens and pay for it on a cc that gives AP miles. So why not triple dip: get Diners Club enrollment 12,000 bonus, pay for big screen at Futureshop with that card and get miles for charging the purchase to the DC card AND get any bonuses Futureshop may be offering. Could work out to around 25,000 more AP miles.
Old Nov 26, 2002, 1:07 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I thinking about exchanging my Aeroplan points to Esso Extra points.</font>
DON'T DO IT!!!!

(If you do, Empress will put a bucket on his head until we all sing "Torres Malenas" to him.)

Do a recent search about points.com in the AC forum, and you'll hear nothing but grief, and how bad the exchange rates are. It's not uncommon to be paying an 85%+ commission to transfer points -- that is, you lose over 85% of the value of the points in the transaction. Almost any other use would be preferable.

Like Destina, points.com is mostly useful for insane people.

Points.com & Destina go together like Paranoia and Schizophrenia.
Old Feb 11, 2003, 10:15 pm

Programs: AC*E, Marriott Silver
Not that I'm suggesting the exchange ratio at points.com warrants generating revenue for them but something to consider if you're going to send flowers to a special someone this weekend ($10 FTD.com credit) and are looking to top up with 500 aeroplan miles - this costs 14.95 ($0.0299/mile without using the FTD credit). Works out to $0.0099/mile if you use the FTD credit.

https://points.com/choose500.jsp

Cheers.

(Edited to include the link as I'm asleep)

[This message has been edited by CanuckBubba (edited 02-11-2003).]
Old Feb 12, 2003, 8:00 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Dia Amb
So if I understand you correctly, your 27,265 Aeroplan points could be converted to give you half the HBC points you need to get a big screen TV worth $1,000? Can you really get a big screen TV for $1,000? Wow! I've got to go shopping more.

I've heard nothing but bad things about points.com's exchange rates, but if you value your points at about $0.02 each then that sounds like a reasonable deal. You'd be giving up a long haul NA ticket or almost 2 short-haul which, if you have use of them, could be worth much more than the $500 value you'll be getting with the TV.

It comes down to what else you'd do with the points. I'd say 2 cents/point is the minimum benefit to accept and if you won't be getting the TV unless it's "for free", go for it. I personally don't redeem Aeroplan miles unless I'm getting something "worth" at least 5 or 6 cents/mile.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Hey everyone. Just to let you know I've decided to wait a little more.

Now at points.com I can convert the same 27,265 aeroplan points for 30,170 esso extra points.

I was looking at a 32 inch RCA TV with a "cost" of 2.5 million hbc reward points (for gold members) or $800 if you want to pay cash. (Free delivery to any hbc family store, home delivery for $50 plus tax.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.