Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wasted ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Wasted ticket?

I booked a flight NYC-Toronto roundtrip for next Wed/Thurs but due to work committments I won't be able to go until the weekend. It was booked tango lowest.
Is there anything I can do? partial refund, transferring ticket to someone else, etc. so that it's not a complete waste? :P
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Originally Posted by haolaowai_org
I booked a flight NYC-Toronto roundtrip for next Wed/Thurs but due to work committments I won't be able to go until the weekend. It was booked tango lowest.
Is there anything I can do? partial refund, transferring ticket to someone else, etc. so that it's not a complete waste? :P
What about just paying the change fee and flying out on the weekend? Or cancel and then use the credit to fly the route at a later date (and pay change fee).
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I think you can convert the ticket minus change fees to a credit that can be applied to a later booking. Tango change fees to the US are $200CAD * 2 for a round trip. So your residual value is whatever you paid minus $400 which might be... less than zero.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:25 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by eigenvector
I think you can convert the ticket minus change fees to a credit that can be applied to a later booking. Tango change fees to the US are $200CAD * 2 for a round trip. So your residual value is whatever you paid minus $400 which might be... less than zero.
Ouch, $400 change fee, brutal
You would think these type of things should be illegal but ........
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:53 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Why? Many fares have change fees that are much higher than that.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:55 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by eigenvector
On transborder fares, the change fee is applied per transaction if you change both fare components at the same time. So if you change both ways at once, it is still only $200.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:56 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by D582
On transborder fares, the change fee is applied per transaction if you change both fare components at the same time. So if you change both ways at once, it is still only $200.
Oh .... in that case I guess its somewhat relatively fair...
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:26 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Oh .... in that case I guess its somewhat relatively fair...
Cheap tickets have less flexibility and higher change fees. That's why they're cheap.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
You could also wait until the day of flight and see if the weather turns crap. If your lucky they will post a wx advisory and you can change for free to another date, or maybe even get a refund. I think you have until 2 hours before flight time to roll the dice. Worse comes to worse cancel and see if there is anything left on the ticket.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by haolaowai_org
That depends, do you have a common enough name like Elizabeth Gallagher?

Use social media to find your name twin.
Sell them the ticket.
Make a TV movie about it.

Cheers
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
That depends, do you have a common enough name like Elizabeth Gallagher?

Use social media to find your name twin.
Sell them the ticket.
Make a TV movie about it.

Cheers
Transborder suggests the birthdate would also be on the ticket, which may make things more complicated.

I should find someone else with my name to fly and earn my miles/status. He can get the benefits of my status. Why does no one else in my family share my first name?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

The total ticket price is around $250... so a $200 change fee reduces it to near $0. Plus I booked as two separate transactions :P
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Hope for a delay, or a freak weather event, and if such occurs, call in to say you wont be flying anymore, even if its just an hour long delay, and ask for refund.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

I upgraded Toronto-NYC for $210 CDN.

Equiv to the price of getting a new Tango ticket ($200) for that timeslot. Not ideal since it's an extra $210 out of pocket but that was going to happen anyways.

Still deciding on NYC-Toronto ticket.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Ouch, $400 change fee, brutal
Want lower change fees, buy a higher fare category. OP should have recognized the possibility work would interfere with a mid-week flight and bought a flexible ticket, at least on the outbound. So now the decision is to eat the difference (hey, it's C$s and he's paying in U$s, 30% less) or cancel the trip outright.

Depending upon when the ticket was booked, the r/t in Tango would likely have been C$300 or less. And a last minute fare considerably more. But the change fee would have to be paid to keep the return ticket valid.

BTW The weather ploy won't work as the forecast for next week is sunny and clear, with some showers on Tuesday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.