Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: 'Wrong' name on itinerary. Will this be a problem?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: 'Wrong' name on itinerary. Will this be a problem?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
'Wrong' name on itinerary. Will this be a problem?

It's not really a wrong name, I guess.

I booked a ticket. I looked at the early check in and I realised my name is slightly misspelled.

I booked with a gap between the Mc and Carron as that is how it is on my passport and I changed to that spelling on all official docs since emigrating to Canada.

On my itinerary, it is spelled as Mc carron and when I went to check in early it looks like Mccarron.

Will this be a problem?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:10 pm
alc

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

I think you will be fine as both my wife and my daughter names with multiple words and long enough that AC always join them all together with no space with only the first letter as capital.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by John McCarron

I booked a ticket. I looked at the early check in and I realised my name is slightly misspelled.

I booked with a gap between the Mc and Carron as that is how it is on my passport and I changed to that spelling on all official docs since emigrating to Canada.

On my itinerary, it is spelled as Mc carron and when I went to check in early it looks like Mccarron.

Will this be a problem?
OT: I'd change my name to McCarryon for the giggles
Old Sep 1, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
You'll be fine. My last name is also two words and I've yet to book a ticket with an airline that doesn't treat it as one word.

For what it's worth, I've been allowed to fly when there was a genuine typo in my name. Think along the lines of Geoge instead of George, Stepen instead of Stephen, etc. And I use "allowed to fly" as meaning "no one seemed to notice, from check-in to security to passport control to boarding."

Welcome to FT!
Old Sep 1, 2016, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by John McCarron

Will this be a problem?
You'll be fine.

I asked the same question here last year but at least you got nice answers.

I didn't run into any issues with one letter being off.

Most answers I got were partial troll elephant dung answers.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I ran into a "wrong name" problem for an upcoming trip - my middle name was misspelled (out by one letter). My booking was made by my TA and includes travel on AC metal to Europe and LH within Europe and back to Canada. Both my TA and I called AC and both times they said the only way I could get my name corrected was to cancel my ticket and rebook (paying a cancellation fee and rebooking at the current higher rates). However, they would note the error in my file and said it should not be a problem.

I decided to call LH to get their view on this since 3 of my 4 flights were on a separate LH PNR (even though the ticket was 014 AC stock). Their view was that my name absolutely should be corrected and if this was their ticket it would take them all of a few seconds to fix it. Since it wasn't their ticket they couldn't do anything but they strongly advised me to get it fixed. There was no way to guarantee that if someone along the way picked up on the error they wouldn't deny me boarding and I'd be SOL, regardless of any notations on my file.

By this time I was getting concerned about what might happen once I got to Europe and decided I wasn't willing to take the risk of being denied boarding. I called my TA and insisted that they get this fixed (since the problem was actually caused by them). The TA called AC a second time and this time had a much better outcome. Apparently AC can correct name misspellings without having to re-issue tickets. For a fee of $50 they fixed my name (the TA ate this cost) and now I'm good to go.

I can't speak for others, but given what I've read online (both in various travel forums and newspaper articles) travelling on a ticket where your name doesn't exactly match your government ID can lead to significant headaches. I'm not willing to take the chance of missing a flight overseas because of it. That said, I'm not sure my concerns would apply to the OP since his issue wasn't actually a misspelled name, just the insertion of a space.

Here's a couple of news stories on misspelled names:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...cket-1.2891783
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ad...rline-tickets/
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Gogie
That said, I'm not sure my concerns would apply to the OP since his issue wasn't actually a misspelled name, just the insertion of a space.
Unless I misunderstood something, OP had a space deleted from his name, not inserted. This is precisely how airline ticketing systems work, so there's absolutely nothing to worry about. They don't accommodate multiple names in either the first or family name fields.

If he was around today, Leonardo da Vinci's boarding pass would say "DAVINCI LEONARDOMR" and that would be perfectly acceptable to anyone who would verify his identity.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Every boarding pass I've ever had has lumped my first and middle name together without spaces as one long mishmash of a name. Every time I've been able to board no problem. It's just how their systems work.

I wouldn't worry about it, OP.

If it were a different name entirely, or a significant misspelling such that it might not match your passport, that's a different story. But a deleted space? You should be fine.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by segacs
Every boarding pass I've ever had has lumped my first and middle name together without spaces as one long mishmash of a name. Every time I've been able to board no problem. It's just how their systems work.
My wife always books lumping first and middle together, as first name. Passport and Aeroplan account have them with space. Never a problem.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I've travelled with first/middle name together without issues, and I don't see a space causing one as others have stated.

All that said, a friend flew into Russia without issues with a ticket vs passport mismatch ("it" instead of "y") at end of her name. But could she fly out with the same issue ... no she could not. Ended up buying a new ticket.

So, YMMV if there is an actual character difference.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by Gogie
Apparently AC can correct name misspellings without having to re-issue tickets. For a fee of $50 they fixed my name (the TA ate this cost) and now I'm good to go.
$50 for a couple of key strokes!

My issue is always on Aeroplan tickets. When I have a revenue ticket, my reservation is always First and Last name, no issues. Aeroplan it's first name squashed beside my a non-capitalized middle name and then last name. Then when my BP is printed it looks like this:

Last Firstmiddle
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by j_the_p
Then when my BP is printed it looks like this:

Last Firstmiddle
This ok perfectly ok, too. Mrs. FFSim's passport contains her middle name and it's always squished in with her first name.

I haven't asked about this recently but I definitely did when I started to travel frequently, airline systems can handle only 2 fields per name, and since a name can't possibly have a space (), everything gets squished together.

In the example above, my wife's name is LAST FIRSTMIDDLEMS and mine is LAST1LAST2 FIRSTMR

No problems at all!
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Airline tickets can not have spaces which form part of the name - thus all parts of the first and last name are combined to have no spaces.

That being said - I never add any extra names to my booking other than first / last. I never use my middle initial or middle name - and have only had problems when the middle name was added (as opposed to omitted).
Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I've never had an issue when my boarding passes get printed out with my first and middle name joined without a space: LASTNAME FIRST&MIDDLENAME. All my documents and FF accounts have three (last, first and middle) names so it corresponds to those.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
That being said - I never add any extra names to my booking other than first / last. I never use my middle initial or middle name - and have only had problems when the middle name was added (as opposed to omitted).
^
I completely agree and do the same.

bawm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.