Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Transport minister looking at ways to ease air travellers' frustrations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transport minister looking at ways to ease air travellers' frustrations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
No, I'm not. I'm saying that punitive measures have limited effectiveness in a marketplace where companies also get government bailouts.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 3:46 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by yulred
Far more likely that they'll blame oil prices. And they'll probably be right.

Worth noting that EU 261/2004 has been in effect since February 2005. There's nothing in the past 11 years that supports the price increase hypothesis. When will it manifest itself?
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
RIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Because the 2008/2009 financial crisis proved such thesis, I mean, it was fun times right? /S
Oh I mean most FTers prob turned out fine.. its the poorest or poor that suffered for harshest consequences of "reduction in the role and size of govt"
Just like a SE prob wont need to sleep on the ground after being IDBed with a $10 FU voucher in hand from AC.

AC is a rabid airline that need to be tamed.. and if anything. Government regulations will help the airline to at least behave.
yeah but knowing canada everything will be done in this really expensive costly bureaucratic way that will just end up getting passed on to consumers. in the eu you have these ultra lccs that fly out of decommissioned air force bases in middle of nowhere ukraine to the algarve with a gdansk based crew that are willing to perform a job with inferior work rules at a fraction of the cost of a lh fra based crew. ya good luck having that outside of the box thinking in canada. remember the s---tfit rankandfile and the cbc had because rouge cabin crew had to pay for their own uniforms and training?

nothing is going to change until government is reduced and markets liberalized. look at the drama newleaf had to go thru simply because another--otherwise airworthy--airline was doing the flying. it's the same type of "oh it's not in the rules, can't do it. why? cause it's the rules. why? again, rules" kind of thinking govts are going thru with uber and so many other things.

if this country can't harmonize trade within its own provinces and controls everything down to maple syrup and milk do you think it can facilitate a liberalized passenger airline market?

btw i'm all for eu261-esque compensation and accountability but the government du canada will find a way to weasel out of actually doing something useful for the market despite having legislative and institutional capacity to do so. liberalize the market AND implement a reasonable pax bill of rights, not one and not the other. it won't happen.

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
You are looking at this in a very small simply way. If you look at the big picture, it's almost impossible to do by Canada alone. No international airline will design planes just for Canadian routes.
what about the c series

Originally Posted by segacs
There are extreme right-wing people on this forum who seem to be against any kind of government regulation whatsoever. So, what, we should stop funding roads? Police? Fire departments? No more traffic laws? Wild West?
aw come on man, some of us 'extreme' right wing people just want liberty and fairness for all. canada has a banned books list. balooning catsa surcharges and deteriorating service. really stupid and pointless parallel runways with billion dollar tunnels paid for by taxpayers instead of the airport that was forcing it. pax who drive hours to fly from bellingham or buffalo. those are jobs that could exist in canada.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 3:55 pm

You are looking at this in a very small simply way. If you look at the big picture, it's almost impossible to do by Canada alone. No international airline will design planes just for Canadian routes.
Sure, but you could easily find the 80-ish percentile already flying and mandate the minimums in accordance. For example, a minimum 30-inch seat pitch will already easily be met by the US majors.

Of course, Rouge planes will hafta be rejigged but if these standards had already been in place, AC wouldn't have went lowest common denominator in the first place.

Cheers
Old Aug 10, 2016, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by segacs
There are a lot of excuses here as to why this can't be done. The simple answer is that it can. And it should.

There are extreme right-wing people on this forum who seem to be against any kind of government regulation whatsoever. So, what, we should stop funding roads? Police? Fire departments? No more traffic laws? Wild West?

There are safety regulations that apply to all airlines. Violate them and you'll get banned from flying.

Most European countries are way ahead of where North America is in terms of protecting passenger's rights. They have not gone bankrupt, been forced to hike their fares, or lost business as a result. I'd argue that they've probably gained business. I know that, given the choice, I'll choose to fly one of them over a North American airline, simply because I know I'll have more protection and probably be treated better. Many pax feel the same.

The airlines have proven over and over again that nothing is too far in the name of profit, and there's no low to which they will not stoop to squeeze a bit more value for shareholders. Hence, consumer protection laws are necessary. There's no free market incentive to look out for the safety and basic rights of the consumer.

This isn't Communist Russia. It's common sense.
I'm not saying it should not be done, but this would have to be a international standard. The Canadian market is way to small to set these type of rules.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
By the way, about 5 years ago or so, AC said they would welcome American Airlines flying pt to pt in Canada, so long as they could do the same in the states. So maybe they would be happy.
Please all Canadians. Be careful what you wish for.

What do you seriously think will happen if AC starts flying between destinations in the US? Happy customers? Cheery passengers singing the praises of our neighbo(u)r to the North? Customer service good time posts?

No, this board will be overrun, I mean OVERRUN by irate Americans stuck in Albuquerque, Charlotte or Little Rock.

THIS WILL NOT END WELL. AC will singlehandedly destroy 200 years of great perceptions. Oh.......and that idea of Canadians being very polite? That'll be over faster Usain Bolt in the 100m dash. Seriously, one flight with a couple of well placed irate AC stewardess' will blow that up.

..........Now maybe an Air Canada Rougeeeeee commercial with Sarah Palin saying "Go Rogue" the American way (rhymes with Vogue) instead of Air Canada Rouge (as in red en francais) will get some interested pax but this is an absolute catastrophe for Canadian-US relations.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 10, 2016 at 8:44 pm Reason: off topic
Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Folks, let's stick to the thread topic and leave off topic matters for other forums.

tcok052
AC forum moderator
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
We should let the CRTC regulate the airlines. They'll get AC sorted out in no time.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:32 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by Sopwith
We should let the CRTC regulate the airlines. They'll get AC sorted out in no time.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Thanks. I needed a good laugh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.