Wiki Posts
Search

787 seating for couples/families

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2016, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Frequent Flyer, Virgin Australia Velocity
787 seating for couples/families

I understand that the partition between the centre seats does not move. I have heard reports that this may change in the future. We attended a travel expo in Brisbane on the weekend and were advised by an Air Canada representative that the partition does move. This seems to be inconsistent with threads online and I thought that it would be best to check with the experts in this forum. In your opinion, what would be the best seats for a couple and children (age 10 and 9 years) in business class.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
In business my wife and daughter always travel together across from each other on the same side. So my wife is in front and daughter (4yr) across both of us. Easier to be on same side as appose to different aisles
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan, M&M
We (wife, toddler and I) are travelling on the 787-8 and have chosen seats 1D and 1G. Do people here think those are good seats to have with a toddler or would people recommend other seats?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by brisbane33
I understand that the partition between the centre seats does not move. I have heard reports that this may change in the future. We attended a travel expo in Brisbane on the weekend and were advised by an Air Canada representative that the partition does move. This seems to be inconsistent with threads online and I thought that it would be best to check with the experts in this forum. In your opinion, what would be the best seats for a couple and children (age 10 and 9 years) in business class.
I agree with Silvercity--it's best to be on the same aisle.

If I were choosing for my family (assuming 788 from Brisbane) I'd pick 4A, 5A, 4D and 5D.

These are at the back of the cabin, affording more privacy. Service moves in a horseshoe pattern starting at 5A which means less waiting for food an drinks.

The wart on this recommendation is that there are no windows at row 5.

Really, with kids of 9 and 10, I wouldn't be afraid of much on this bird. If everyone wants a window, then line everyone up at A and/or K (avoiding row 5).

Last edited by BlueMilk; Aug 2, 2016 at 9:03 am
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by mashlakito
We (wife, toddler and I) are travelling on the 787-8 and have chosen seats 1D and 1G. Do people here think those are good seats to have with a toddler or would people recommend other seats?
If you're tall, DG combinations are easier to talk, but you will feel separated. The partitions do not move. IMHO same aisle is better.

With a lap child, there are seating restrictions due to O2 mask availability. I know 1D and 1G are valid. I'm not sure if there's others.

Again, choose the other seat to be on the same aisle: AD, GK, or back to front.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: SE100K - Air Canada, WestJet Gold
Are the new dreamliner cabins similar to the old ones in that you had to stagger seating to be able to talk to each other?

We are booked in 3G,4K. Is it better to book 4G 4K?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by misapply
Are the new dreamliner cabins similar to the old ones in that you had to stagger seating to be able to talk to each other?

We are booked in 3G,4K. Is it better to book 4G 4K?
The seats are somewhat staggered, but the not to any great extent.

For the best experience, choose the same row or one behind another.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 12:30 pm

Has anyone had experience with AC and strollers and how strict they are about stroller size? Online they say that only umbrella type strollers are allowed to be gate checked in. However, our daughter is super comfortable in her Hartan stroller (http://www.hartan.de/en/kinderwagen.php?modell=racer-gt) and it would be a pity if we are forced to buy a different kind of stroller to be able to gate-check it....
Old Aug 2, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: U1K
I think when travelling in J you need to be "behind" the child under 12. That way in an emergency you can help secure their mask by reaching over them. So you would do a 4A and parent at say 5A as an example.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by YOWisHome
I think when travelling in J you need to be "behind" the child under 12. That way in an emergency you can help secure their mask by reaching over them. So you would do a 4A and parent at say 5A as an example.
That rule only applies to children 2 to 5 in the "Classic Pods" (i.e. 767 and A330).

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...ant-child.html

I've successfully travelled with children seated across in the newer pods.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by mashlakito
Has anyone had experience with AC and strollers and how strict they are about stroller size? Online they say that only umbrella type strollers are allowed to be gate checked in. However, our daughter is super comfortable in her Hartan stroller (http://www.hartan.de/en/kinderwagen.php?modell=racer-gt) and it would be a pity if we are forced to buy a different kind of stroller to be able to gate-check it....
I was allowed to gate check my full size city select stroller back in Jan '16
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM
Originally Posted by northerncoalminer
I was allowed to gate check my full size city select stroller back in Jan '16
You can gate check any stroller. I suggest get a Red bag to put your stroller in before checking it. It keeps it from getting beating up. The bag is available at any toddler store.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by BlueMilk
If you're tall, DG combinations are easier to talk, but you will feel separated. The partitions do not move. IMHO same aisle is better.

With a lap child, there are seating restrictions due to O2 mask availability. I know 1D and 1G are valid. I'm not sure if there's others.

Again, choose the other seat to be on the same aisle: AD, GK, or back to front.
Are you able to speak to each other or perhaps even touch each other sitting back to front? I'm booked DG for our honeymoon but wondering if that's the best choice...
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by zwkchong
Are you able to speak to each other or perhaps even touch each other sitting back to front? I'm booked DG for our honeymoon but wondering if that's the best choice...
I don't know what to tell you. Pods aren't designed with honeymoons in mind.

For my tastes, I'd still get seats in the same aisle. Even if you're closer to each other in DG, getting served at different times tends to diminish the feeling of togetherness.

But, if I'm flying a transcon with someone I like talking to, I'll fly a narrow-body without pods.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 3:31 am

*deleted*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.