Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Aeroplan Reward to South Africa - What is the "Point of Turnaround"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Aeroplan Reward to South Africa - What is the "Point of Turnaround"?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Aeroplan Reward to South Africa - What is the "Point of Turnaround"?

I have what may be a really stupid question about booking a flight reward from Canada to South Africa. The Flight Rewards Terms and Conditions say this:

"28.3. Intercontinental travel (travel between two continents): Two stopovers permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in lieu of one of the two stopovers."

What is the "point of turnaround" if you are booking an open jaw? Ideally, I would like to book this:

YHZ - CPT Stop
CPT - HDS Stop
JNB - YHZ

Is this a valid itinerary? In other words, is CPT the point of turnaround, HDS a stop, and JNB - YHZ an open jaw? Or is this invalid with CPT and HDS both being viewed as stops, JNB as the open jaw, and no point of turnaround? Sorry if I am being dense, just trying to figure it out. I know I could book YHZ-CPT and JNB-YHZ as a reward flight, and then buy a ticket from CPT-HDS, but if the CPT-HDS leg is valid for inclusion in a flight reward I'd rather save myself the $$.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:37 pm

Should be valid.

Point of turnaround is the furthest stop from your origin. According to gcmap:

YHZ-CPT 7,471
YHZ-JNB 7,544
YHZ-HDS 7,596

Which means HDS is your destination. You have one stopover in CPT on the way there, and also an open jaw at your destination (HDS-JNB). Should be fine.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
I also think the routing should be valid, however, it might depend on the connection points in between your planned stops. You can run into difficulty if the available routes between the stops involves connecting in the same city twice. You can travel through the same city before and after the POT, but I don't think you can touch the same city twice on the same side of the POT.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Ah, thank you for the explanation ... Unfortunately has-cot involve
Old Jul 5, 2016, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

LOL ... hazards of trying to post a reply on an iPad! What I was trying to type is that both YHZ-CPT and CPT-HDS require transiting through JNB ... so I guess I will be buying the ticket for the CPT-HDS leg!
Old Jul 5, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: AC*S, Delta Skymiles
You wont need to buy a ticket.
The connections in JNB are not stops there - and are simply routing issues.
I have seen CPT-HDS flights direct.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
You should be able to book this. I booked something similar:
YYZ-GRU-JNB-VFA (stop)
VFA-JNB-CPT(stop/open jaw)
HDS-JNB (47 hour stop)
JNB-ADD-YYZ

I'm not sure where the point of turnaround is, but I was able to book it and I am in JNB 4 times. I didn't think I could stop so long in JNB. I was going to stop for 22 hours, but after chatting about it the Agent suggested she try and put the flight in for the next day and it went through. Also not sure what leaving from YHZ will do given the unpublished MPM rules.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Hmmm, interesting. I just called yesterday, and agent told me I could NOT do:

YHZ-LHR-JNB-CPT stop
CPT-JNB-HDS stop (obviously not my preferred routing but the CPT-HDS direct flight is not available)
HDS - JNB overnight stop (23.5 hr)
JNB-ADD-LHR-YHZ

She told me the reason I could not book this was that I can't transit through JNB that many times, and said the only way it would be valid would be if the CPT-HDS direct flight becomes available. Of these, she would only let me book YHZ-LHR-JNB-CPT and JNB-ADD-LHR-YHZ.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by travelgirl2_99
Hmmm, interesting. I just called yesterday, and agent told me I could NOT do:

YHZ-LHR-JNB-CPT stop
CPT-JNB-HDS stop (obviously not my preferred routing but the CPT-HDS direct flight is not available)
HDS - JNB overnight stop (23.5 hr)
JNB-ADD-LHR-YHZ

She told me the reason I could not book this was that I can't transit through JNB that many times, and said the only way it would be valid would be if the CPT-HDS direct flight becomes available. Of these, she would only let me book YHZ-LHR-JNB-CPT and JNB-ADD-LHR-YHZ.

I think you should be able to do that. I would HUACA (hang up and call again and try with another agent).
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
I've been told many times that it's not allowed. It didn't seem to matter that I was only connecting in the offending duplicated city and not stopping, but was told I couldn't transit it multiple times. HUCA might work, since you might get an agent to do it, but I've been told 'no' many times.

The Aeroplan website will also not allow you to book it. If you try a simple multi-city itinerary, and choose some familiar destinations that force you to go back through the same city twice, the "select" button becomes greyed out on those particular flight combinations for the 2nd leg options that route through that city, if you've already selected a routing on the first leg that uses it.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
I've been told many times that it's not allowed. It didn't seem to matter that I was only connecting in the offending duplicated city and not stopping, but was told I couldn't transit it multiple times. HUCA might work, since you might get an agent to do it, but I've been told 'no' many times.

The Aeroplan website will also not allow you to book it. If you try a simple multi-city itinerary, and choose some familiar destinations that force you to go back through the same city twice, the "select" button becomes greyed out on those particular flight combinations for the 2nd leg options that route through that city, if you've already selected a routing on the first leg that uses it.
I've had the same experience in that you can't transit through the same city more than twice even if you don't stop there on the first two transits. Then again, you can't stop in the same city more than once anyway on a reward ticket.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Marlin240
I've had the same experience in that you can't transit through the same city more than twice even if you don't stop there on the first two transits. Then again, you can't stop in the same city more than once anyway on a reward ticket.
You can't stop in the same city more than once on each side of the trip. However, for example, stopping in JNB once before the destination, and then once again after the destination, is no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.