Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I'm about to fly domestic business class for first (and maybe last) time ever!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:21 am
Original Poster

I'm flying domestic business class on Monday YYZ-LGA on AC.

My first business class flight ever (I'm a student!) and possibly my last domestic one (I can't imagine flying business class for domestic).

What can I do to make the most of my experience?
-Eat all their food in lounge
-Drink boatloads of alcohol on flight
-Carry the max amount of baggage
-Anything else?

Does the segment even serve food? It's 1h flight time.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:42 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Congrats

I did YUL-LGA and LGA-YYZ very recently(In points obviously) , the best way you can do is to make the most of your experience.

1. Guest someone else in MLL
2. Yes, if you really want to screw with AC you can always use maximum luggage capacity

In terms of in flight experience
3. There are food, but its awful cold dishes I think, but my tip would be pick the single seats on the left side if you are on a E90 or E75
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:43 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I would have suggested you try YYZ-JFK on TAM for the lie-flat experience They run fare sales often on that route and it's sometimes as cheap as economy.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:44 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by keitherson
I would have suggested you try YYZ-JFK on TAM for the lie-flat experience They run fare sales often on that route and it's sometimes as cheap as economy.
JFK... Really?

He might as well drive there

But then again lie flat for 40 minutes can be worth it, sure...
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:46 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
JFK... Really?

He might as well drive there

But then again lie flat for 40 minutes can be worth it, sure...
Not all of us are flying to third world airports
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:47 am

Not all of us are flying to third world airports
I actually thought LGA wasnt that bad... esp for the terminal AC is in
Did I mention zero lineup at TSA during lunch time at LGA?

Atleast I didnt have to wait one hour for my bags, unlike YYZ and YVR lol.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Jul 2, 2016 at 4:53 am
Old Jul 2, 2016, 9:31 am

enjoy their food and wine.......................
used to love their cookies/ice cream with coffee......

thats about it
Old Jul 2, 2016, 9:37 am

Sorry to break it to you but there is nothing special about the alcohol and food selection in MLL or the Lounge.

Seriously..it's not a Michelin rated meal - The quality of the food is comparable to any mid-tier restaurant at best. J is more comfortable than Y, but you're sure to be disappointed if your expectations are so high.

Plus I feel bad for the other J pax as you attempt to drink "boatloads" on a 1 hour flight...come on dude, have more class.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Congrats

I did YUL-LGA and LGA-YYZ very recently(In points obviously) , the best way you can do is to make the most of your experience.

1. Guest someone else in MLL
2. Yes, if you really want to screw with AC you can always use maximum luggage capacity

In terms of in flight experience
3. There are food, but its awful cold dishes I think, but my tip would be pick the single seats on the left side if you are on a E90 or E75
You can't guest anyone into the MLL on a J fare. This is a perk of status only.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by haolaowai_org
I'm flying domestic business class on Monday YYZ-LGA on AC.

My first business class flight ever (I'm a student!) and possibly my last domestic one (I can't imagine flying business class for domestic).

What can I do to make the most of my experience?
-Eat all their food in lounge
-Drink boatloads of alcohol on flight
-Carry the max amount of baggage
-Anything else?

Does the segment even serve food? It's 1h flight time.
Oh the fun of mentally preparing for a new experience: Conjuring up images of checking in 3 bags of cement, watching the priority tags get slapped on, looking over from the priority security line at the other line snaking back 300m, turning right after security to the secret elevator while everyone else ignorantly walks by, taking a shower after dragging cement around and dropping a duece, pouring every type of booze into a megamix and sneaking it in to the business centre, colour printing random kittens-of-the-internet while drinking and eating everything one can find, shredding what was just printed, stuffing one of every free magazine into carryon, especially the best like Zoomer and En Route... I could go on.

But you carry the baggage of your consumption. Is this the "most of your experience?"

I feel to make the most of your experience, just relax. Enjoy your freedom to consume, or not. Your ticket is an option to fly, your lounge access is an option to drink, not a requirement to. Smile. Soak it in. Try not to think too much. Don't make it a "job" to police the hired help, or to max out your "eat". I guess, try to own the experience rather than it owning you.

But to each their own. If you're wired hyper that day, I guess you'll be that guy in the lav flushing all the TP down the toilet and spilling free drinks.

You're a student. This will NOT be the last time you fly business shorthaul, unless you're studying comparative Latin literature. Don't be a defeatist so early on.

On food, cold plate, potato salad thing, quinoa salad thing, sometimes cheese plate thing. I'm pretty sure I've had an omelet on that flight too, but that's during "breakfast" hours.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by YYZPAX
Plus I feel bad for the other J pax as you attempt to drink "boatloads" on a 1 hour flight...come on dude, have more class.
Nah, he won't dump until after deplaning. =P It's too short for the effects to hit midflight especially with all the soup, chips and salsa eaten in the MLL preflight. I find the SD/FAs are the most liberal pourers on short flights because they know you're not their problem in less than 30 minutes.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I never knew. Hence you win my award of amazing awe. Thank you!!!!!!

And as an aside, NYC and the environs is considered to have one of the worst bed bug infestations in the USA.
Due to a majority of NYC hotels having issues with bedbugs, it is likely that some of the pax will be carrying the beasties back with them on their flights originating in NYC. As you sit back and relax, that little itching sensation could be nothing or it could be a blood sucking bed bug getting ready to ingest some blood to allow it to breed and to spread the infestation. Please enjoy your flight .

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Jul 2, 2016 at 12:02 pm
Old Jul 2, 2016, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's never "first and last."

(Just like sex. )

Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
And as an aside, NYC and the environs is considered to have one of the worst bed bug infestations in the USA.
Due to a majority of NYC hotels having issues with bedbugs, it is likely that some of the pax will be carrying the beasties back with them on their flights originating in NYC. As you sit back and relax, that little itching sensation could be nothing or it could be a blood sucking bed bug getting ready to ingest some blood to allow it to breed and to spread the infestation. Please enjoy your flight .
I think that would equally affect the upholstery of an upright chair too. The only insect infestation I've personally seen came from an Air Canada flight to SFO, and more specifically from the pillow.

I bet most would rather lie down for 30 minutes and get bitten than sit upright for 30 minutes and get bitten. =)
Old Jul 3, 2016, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I never knew. Hence you win my award of amazing awe. Thank you!!!!!!

Reading this gave me the heebie jeebies

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.