Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CRA/CR9 re-config and re-designation - details and progress

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread was originally started regarding the re-configuration and re-designation of Air Canada's legacy CRAs to CR9s. That project was completed in early 2018.

AC currently has five CR9s that were previously owned by SkyWest and in service with Delta. These are (fin/registration):
  • 780 / C-FIJZ
  • 781 / C-FJZN
  • 782 / C-FOJZ
  • 783 / C-FRJA
  • 784 / C-GJAN

These aircraft are still configured with the Delta interiors, have no IFE, and may or may not have working WiFi. AC has not published any details regarding the re-configuration of these aircraft to match the existing CR9 fleet.
Print Wikipost

CRA/CR9 re-config and re-designation - details and progress

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by marke190
Not to be pedantic but the retrofit is from CRA (CRJ-705) to CR9 (CRJ-900)... CRJ is the code for the smaller/uncomfortable CRJ-100/200.
Please be "pedantic". ^
marke190 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:09 pm

Thanks. I updated the code to be precise. Any substantive responses would be appreciated even more.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:28 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by legameflyer
Was it (C-FKJZ) indeed a retrofitted CRA (now CR9)? If so, did you notice if the seat layout models the Delta CRJ-900?

Anyone else have any updates on this and when the retrofit of the old CRAs to CR9s will be complete?
It was indeed retrofitted and the layout is similar to DL's. There's now another closet/storage where 1A used to be. The CR9 map on AC's fleet page is reasonably representative of how it all looks.

Theoretically it should now be a CR9, but I'm not sure that's the case. Transport Canada still says it's a CRA and I didn't actually go back and count all the seats in Y - AC could have done most of the mods, including the 12J and Y reconfig, as long as they didn't put in more than 75 seats total.

Originally Posted by j_the_p
I was on C-FCJZ (FIN 703) last night. Wifi was available but I didn't use it.

What I found odd was this:
The flight had been advertised as a CRJ900, meaning 12 seats in J. I was first on the upgrade list and up until the flight closed, the AC app showed 10 out of 12 J seats booked. As soon as the flight closed, I asked the GA if I had a choice of seats when she processes the upgrades but she just gave me a blank stare and said that J is full. So I go back to the AC app and lo and behold, it now shows 10 out of 10 J seats booked. I figured that maybe the aircraft was swapped for a CRA705, but when I boarded it was clear that it was a CRJ900 with 12 seats. I took my seat in Y and waited to see if there were 12 J pax, but only 10 arrived. So I asked to speak to the GA and she agreed with me that so mething funny was going on. She showed me her printout and it showed that J was 10/10. She said, "Just take one of the empty seats because I know you're on the upgrade list." So I did...but the plane left with 1 empty seat in J. I feel bad for #2 on the upgrade list.
The whole thing seems a bit messy, really.

AC.com now displays everything as CR9. However, when you pull up the seat map, it says "CRA" in the corner and shows the CRA seat map (10J, 75 seats overall). And when pulling up seat maps on EF, it finds CRA seatmaps as well.

AC's fleet page only shows CR9, no CRA.

The flight I took last week did show the CR9 seat map on ac.com and on EF, but I only got booked on it ~12 hours before departure as it was an IRROPs re-booking (was supposed to fly AA CLT-DFW-YYC but misconnected, so re-booked on UA-AC CLT-IAH-YYC). It went out with 2 J empty, but there was no one on the upgrade list and it did actually show Business as "Available".

My assumption is that until they finish converting all of the CRAs, they will treat everything as a CRA until they actually confirm the aircraft that will actually operate the flight, sometime within 48 hours of departure. Perhaps for your flight, they either hadn't updated the systems to reflect the fact that FCJZ is now CR9-configured or someone forgot to update the aircraft type.

I'm sure we'll have plenty of little issues with this until they finish the conversions. Where it will be worst is when they schedule something as CR9, fill up 12J and then downgrade to CRA.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
My assumption is that until they finish converting all of the CRAs, they will treat everything as a CRA until they actually confirm the aircraft that will actually operate the flight, sometime within 48 hours of departure.
My experience has been closer to 12 hours. Or less. Though I suspect as more are converted, they can safely do it earlier.

But it's much better to gate-upgrade 2 people (or leave the seats empty) than it is to downgrade 2 people.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
I’m guessing once all are fully reconfigured as CR9, they will update the catering to take advantage of the oven now supposedly on board?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by D582
I’m guessing once all are fully reconfigured as CR9, they will update the catering to take advantage of the oven now supposedly on board?
I was told until they ALL have the oven, they won't cater hot food, in case there's a last minute equipment swap.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I'm on FCJZ right now. That fin has been assigned since yesterday afternoon, and as we know from above, it has been reconfigured.

However, it showed up as the old CRA layout (10J, 12A alone, etc) last night on ac.com and the upgrade list showed capacity in J as 10.

Sometime this morning, the upgrade list changed to showing J capacity as 12. EF has never picked up on the change in seat map though, and I did manually refresh it.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
My experience has been closer to 12 hours. Or less. Though I suspect as more are converted, they can safely do it earlier.
"Within 48 hours" doesn't mean 48 hours out, it means no earlier than 48 hours. I would even say it's fairly common for the fin to change multiple times within the last 12 hours. But sometimes it will stay the same from when it first shows up (usually no earlier than T-48).

But it's much better to gate-upgrade 2 people (or leave the seats empty) than it is to downgrade 2 people.
Definitely, but do you have faith that AC will actually do the right thing?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I was told until they ALL have the oven, they won't cater hot food, in case there's a last minute equipment swap.
When will this be? They are showing them as CRJ900s now on aircanada.com.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:26 pm

Despite the CRA layouts showing up on the seating map, I've noticed a trend of 28A and B being blocked out weeks/months in advance for the routes I've checked. Perhaps that is an indicator that the tentative plan is to use a CR9 on those particular flights due to the fact there is no row 28 on the CR9...
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by legameflyer
Despite the CRA layouts showing up on the seating map, I've noticed a trend of 28A and B being blocked out weeks/months in advance for the routes I've checked. Perhaps that is an indicator that the tentative plan is to use a CR9 on those particular flights due to the fact there is no row 28 on the CR9...
Or they're blocking everything that isn't common between the two, to minimize the chance of disruptions.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

So I got an EF alert today for some future CRA flights. The seatmap has now changed and it's showing up as "CR9". It has 12J and is otherwise the same as AC's CR9 seatmap on the website, except 28C is missing, which means there are only 75 seats total...

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jan 25, 2018 at 1:16 pm Reason: Corrected typo
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
So I got an EF alert today for some future CRA flights. The seatmap has now changed and it's showing up as "CR9". It has 10J and is otherwise the same as AC's CR9 seatmap on the website, except 28C is missing, which means there are only 75 seats total...
Last year, I was to fly a CRJ, changed to CRA and a DH4 changed to CRA. Both times, I was placed in J. From my 2 data points, it appears that they do.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

I'm sitting on GJZS right now, one of the new CR9s. Like the only other one I've been on, it has the crappy old brown upholstery. I still can't figure out why they put that nice new blue interior in some of the old planes while putting recycled old ones in new planes.

I wonder whether there's WiFi on this plane...

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Last year, I was to fly a CRJ, changed to CRA and a DH4 changed to CRA. Both times, I was placed in J. From my 2 data points, it appears that they do.
Did you mean to quote my post? If so, I'm not sure I follow.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jan 31, 2018 at 7:46 am Reason: Corrected typo
Old Jan 25, 2018, 4:40 pm

2 days out - just switched from CRA to CRJ900. Meaning my bulkhead 2F business seat is no longer bulkhead. Can't seem to pull the seatmap up online anymore... actually can't even see the flight anymore on the booking page (maybe sold out? unlikely?).

That being said how does the Bulkhead row 1 seem on the new CR9? Worse than the 2DF bulkhead on the CRA?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Did you mean to quote my post? If so, I'm not sure I follow.
Jeepers, now I'm confused. Didn't you post something about filling the additional J seats, if they did the right thing? I was just commenting on how they filled the J seats when nobody even booked J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.