Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vancouver Sun : Unfriendly skies

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:16 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I believe so and BA is now flying a A380. Plus, CA does not use a 747 to Vancouver
BA will resume their daily 744 in the fall. Probably my mistake: I confused CA with CI.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:30 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
BA will resume their daily 744 in the fall. Probably my mistake: I confused CA with CI.
When they move 380 off this route in the fall, I assume due to lower seasonal demand, is there another route that starts ramping up then, or are they just stuck with a 380 they can't fill?

Put another way, what did they pull the 380 off of to put it onto LHR-YVR?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by YOWgary
When they move 380 off this route in the fall, I assume due to lower seasonal demand, is there another route that starts ramping up then, or are they just stuck with a 380 they can't fill?

I believe BA has 1 daily A380 and 1 daily 747 to JNB in the (boreal) summer and 2x A380 in the winter, so that could be it.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:42 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
They should fly to YYC....

With the new international terminal YYC could make a good hub.

The jobs would be good here, too.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
If some pictures come up in my timehop I'll show you, Korean Air (2x), LH, BA, EVA, Quantas, and I remember seeing Cathay back in the day too.
.??? So we are talking in the pasted?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:51 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
.??? So we are talking in the pasted?
This year.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:55 pm
Suspended

This year.
So, you are talking about 6 747 per day and you alway see them every time you fly out of YVR, up to 3 aircraft per time. .???
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:58 pm
Suspended

BA is trying to retire them as quick as possible. So maybe not.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:05 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
So, you are talking about 6 747 per day and you alway see them every time you fly out of YVR, up to 3 aircraft per time. .???
No, I don't see them every time I fly out of YVR. Airport operations do not work that way and neither does my travel schedule.

See, with airport operations there are times when gates need to be changed for any number of reasons. This will result in plans not always being at the same gate each day.

I also do not travel at the same time each time I am there, sometimes I am there morning, afternoon or night. How airplane schedules work is depending on your destination you will have a set number of options and you have to select from those options for what works best in your situation.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:17 pm
Suspended

No, I don't see them every time I fly out of YVR. Airport operations do not work that way and neither does my travel schedule.

See, with airport operations there are times when gates need to be changed for any number of reasons. This will result in plans not always being at the same gate each day.

I also do not travel at the same time each time I am there, sometimes I am there morning, afternoon or night. How airplane schedules work is depending on your destination you will have a set number of options and you have to select from those options for what works best in your situation.
But you said, almost every time you flying out of YVR you see at least 3 747 from the MLL. And, yes, I understand how airport gates / airlines schedules work. It doesn't change that facts that there are very few 747 operating out of YVR.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary

I'm not sure they pulled it off any route - it may have been introduced as a new frame came online to the airline. I'll have to check. Otherwise, I was going to suggest MIA, but they'll reschedule a 380 back to Florida in July - still peak season here, and that would be overlap. Rumour has it IAG may procure an additional 6 380s, so maybe YVR will see 12-month 380 service soon.
Originally Posted by wpgjetse
BA is trying to retire them as quick as possible. So maybe not.
As of Oct 01, 2016, no maybe about it. For this winter at minimum, we'll see the BA 744 return to YVR. (Ironically, I'm watching BA84 twinkle in the skies above CYZU at this very moment).

This evening, two more 744s are preparing to leave YVR for Taipei as I type, eh.

It doesn't change that facts that there are very few 747 operating out of YVR.
Dead horse being flogged. YVR sees several 747s. Up to half a dozen per day sometimes. I mean, it's no Heathrow or LAX, but it beats anywhere else in Canada (the 747 is the large four-engine plane with the prominent hump on the front fuselage).

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Jun 12, 2016 at 11:37 pm Reason: maybe BA's YVR 380 was subbed in as a new frame arrived.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:48 pm
Suspended

I'm not sure they pulled it off any route - it may have been introduced as a new frame came online to the airline. I'll have to check. Otherwise, I was going to suggest MIA, but they'll reschedule a 380 back to Florida in July - still peak season here, and that would be overlap. Rumour has it IAG may procure an additional 6 380s, so maybe YVR will see 12-month 380 service soon.

As of Oct 01, 2016, no maybe about it. For this winter at minimum, we'll see the BA 744 return to YVR. (Ironically, I'm watching BA84 twinkle in the skies above CYZU at this very moment).

This evening, two more 744s are preparing to leave YVR for Taipei as I type, eh.

Dead horse being flogged. YVR sees several 747s. Up to half a dozen per day sometimes. I mean, it's no Heathrow or LAX, but it beats anywhere else in Canada (the 747 is the large four-engine plane with the prominent hump on the front fuselage).
There are alway 2 leaving late for Asia. I would not call 6 747 several and compared to 10 to 15 years ago, 6 is basically nothing. The dead horse is the 747 itself.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:44 am

There are alway 2 leaving late for Asia. I would not call 6 747 several and compared to 10 to 15 years ago, 6 is basically nothing. The dead horse is the 747 itself.
Wow. The fluid nature of your position is amazing. I said that YVR "sees more 744s than others" (airports in Canada). You jumped on with your 747 is gone argument, until Sean and I started contradicting this assertion. At no point did anybody compare historical numbers of any airplane, nor did we postulate whether six is 'several', 'a few', 'a handful', 'lots' or 'basically nothing'. Basically nothing is zero. YVR sees up to six more daily 747s than zero. Sure, 10-15 years ago, we saw more, but nobody's talking about that timeframe.

"There are always 2 leaving late for Asia". Yes, there are. There is always 1 leaving mid-afternoon for Germany. There is (half the year) always 1 leaving early evening for London, and frequently some leaving throughout the day for other parts of Asia or the south Pacific.

One day, there will be "basically zero" 747s at YVR or anywhere else. That day is still ahead of us. Until then, just grin and accept that YVR sees more 747s than other airports in Canada, as I wrote several (more than six) posts ago.
Really not sure why such ferocious and dogged resistance.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: *G
If some pictures come up in my timehop I'll show you, Korean Air (2x), LH, BA, EVA, Quantas, and I remember seeing Cathay back in the day too.
That is one of the most egregious errors in aviation circles.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:11 am
Suspended

Wow. The fluid nature of your position is amazing. I said that YVR "sees more 744s than others" (airports in Canada). You jumped on with your 747 is gone argument, until Sean and I started contradicting this assertion. At no point did anybody compare historical numbers of any airplane, nor did we postulate whether six is 'several', 'a few', 'a handful', 'lots' or 'basically nothing'. Basically nothing is zero. YVR sees up to six more daily 747s than zero. Sure, 10-15 years ago, we saw more, but nobody's talking about that timeframe.

"There are always 2 leaving late for Asia". Yes, there are. There is always 1 leaving mid-afternoon for Germany. There is (half the year) always 1 leaving early evening for London, and frequently some leaving throughout the day for other parts of Asia or the south Pacific.

One day, there will be "basically zero" 747s at YVR or anywhere else. That day is still ahead of us. Until then, just grin and accept that YVR sees more 747s than other airports in Canada, as I wrote several (more than six) posts ago.
Really not sure why such ferocious and dogged resistance.
I'm not the one who said they see a min of 3 747 out the MLL window almost every time he flies out of YVR. Also, 5 min check, YYZ has more 747 flights than YVR today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.