Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disconnect between FA's and PAX

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2016, 4:59 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dorian
Flew on AC897 (LHRYVR) on June 9 and AC896 on June3. If I were to rate the J cabin staff on a scale of 0 (bad) to 10 (excellent), respectively:

Friendly - 3 and 2
Care level - 2 and 3
Service - 2 and 4

I got thinking about the different perceptions of the PAX and the staff.

The staff are there doing the same thing they always do. It is routine, sometimes irritating, tiring, etc.

For PAX, it may be the trip of lifetime, 1st time in J, first time overseas, honeymoon, business trip, etc.

I really saw this disconnect on 897. An older couple so happy to be in J and taking it all in, another couple snapping photos, a younger girl stunned to be there. There was certainly palpable excitement in some people. Even my girlfriend was excited to be on a new Dreamliner (her comment to me when deplaning at how lame the staff were is what prompted me to start this thread). Then there was myself and some others, where it was more 'routine'.

I felt bad for those that were excited to be there, as the stuff SUCKED. Even the In Charge showed terrific indifference to the PAX. One FA just never moved slightly out of the way for PAX head to the lav...over and over. I thought in my head 'what a b*tch'.

I believe this is what many of us love about Asian and the ME3 airlines. Although a chance it is all just a faceplate....it makes us feel good.
I preface my comments that I do not fly J often (maybe 20% of the time) and have flown J on a few other carriers too.
My scoring system would be higher than yours for AC but not as high as ME carriers or Far East carriers. Partly corporate culture. Partly pax expectations. I rate the AC FAs as generally good but probably a better description might be efficient. There have been several FAs and SDs who were way more clued into their pax.
From a comparison, they have been better than NA carriers - yes I know, low standard. I do find UA improving rapidly though still behind.
My significant other just flew to India in J. She flies very infrequently, only on holidays approx 3-4 times a year. She loved the AC 789 and the service on AC but thought AI J was crap. Now the AI metal was old and the trip was 3 hrs international but still.
Staff to pax ratio might also factor in.
AC can do some much better with CRM. Send an email to someone who flew the first time in J. Stuff like that. If corp culture improves, so will morale and front line experience.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 5:51 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
I flew LHR-YYZ on 14-May in PY on the early flight AC869. My SE100k status was not acknowledged in any way at any time. Service was... meh. Absolutely unremarkable, more like uninterested. Combined with the fact that the meal was breakfast, it was a waste of e-upgrade credits. My bad.
--
13F
Old Jun 10, 2016, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Im surprised it took you this long to realize this, just imagine how Y passengers are treated, with disdain!
Old Jun 10, 2016, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Im surprised it took you this long to realize this, just imagine how Y passengers are treated, with disdain!
Only on AC.

Plenty of Y is humane
Old Jun 10, 2016, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
This reminds me of a recent TG F; half empty F, with this older couple who were clearly excited to be going on a trip of a lifetime. Given their age, I felt this really took a lifetime to accrue, perhaps scrimping LH SmileMiles-or-whatever and planning for months, possibly years. The gentleman couldn't sit still for the first hour of the flight. Seatbelt sign goes off, he's walking around, checking out all the other empty seats, taking pictures... I never saw an FA walk up and say "Dude, sit down. You are bothering other pax." These are the pax I gladly let Zone 0 in front of me. Just seeing happy pax around is a good feeling, not pax who are playing forensic evidence detective or lawyering for basic entitlements. AC has a way of getting that righteous response out of me, which is really not a good way to spend 8+ hours. I am accustomed to smiling. I do that more frequently elsewhere.
Yeah, but how many people are taking a once-in-a-life-time aspirational trip in AC J?

Even I generally won't fly AC internationally any more unless there's an amazing sale fare. Mind you, if AC PY is pricing the same as lowest Y on most airlines, I'll buy the PY and upgrade. But the last time that happened (for a date/destination that interested me) was 16 months ago
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
This is one of those threads where I read the comments and think to myself, whoa this one knows, or wow she nailed it. It's a shame, AC doesn't have an honest discussion with some of you and I don't mean those useless focus groups where the outcomes are practically predecided. I say that not just because I agree with the comments, but because your comments are what AC pays outside consultants to provide. And here you are, providing valuable guidance at no cost to the airline.

Ideally, it would be great if there ever was an honest discussion that representatives from the unions were there.They need to be told what it's like to be a customer on the days the personnel are awful. It would also be great if customers were allowed to tell the personnel first hand how wonderful they were. Nothing motivates and changes bad behavior than being surrounded by those who have positive behavior. AC does not broadcast the examples where customers are appreciative of personnel. Those comment cards don't work. What's needed are actual videos that the employees see and where people can say, thank you.

AC's HR practices are still stuck in the 1970's and it needs to hire some social psychologists to teach its managers how to motivate people.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
This is one of those threads where I read the comments and think to myself, whoa this one knows, or wow she nailed it. It's a shame, AC doesn't have an honest discussion with some of you and I don't mean those useless focus groups where the outcomes are practically predecided. I say that not just because I agree with the comments, but because your comments are what AC pays outside consultants to provide. And here you are, providing valuable guidance at no cost to the airline.

Ideally, it would be great if there ever was an honest discussion that representatives from the unions were there.They need to be told what it's like to be a customer on the days the personnel are awful. It would also be great if customers were allowed to tell the personnel first hand how wonderful they were. Nothing motivates and changes bad behavior than being surrounded by those who have positive behavior. AC does not broadcast the examples where customers are appreciative of personnel. Those comment cards don't work. What's needed are actual videos that the employees see and where people can say, thank you.

AC's HR practices are still stuck in the 1970's and it needs to hire some social psychologists to teach its managers how to motivate people.
+1.
While I am not happy with all aspects of AC, I would rather they improve and be even more successful (for the shareholders, employees and customers) rather than take my business elsewhere. An industry leading airline would be my preference rather than a race to the bottom or blame the unions/ME carriers and everything else. AC is not the preferred carrier for my company, yet I fly AC.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: AC:50K
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
I had an AC employee throw an amenity kit at me while sitting at my seat, all the while grumbling about "revenue passengers" (the words used) to the SD. This is after politely asking if indeed he was in the right seat and after the third inquiry realizing his BP said 1D, not 1A. Personally, I just wanted to know where he was supposed to be and offer to switch if he wanted. I probably should complain, come to think of it.
Speaking of AC employees and seating... what's with that, anyway? Twice in the past year I've found an AC employee in my assigned seat (aka. the seat I deliberately picked when I booked my ticket) and was told that I should sit in the seat which they had been assigned instead.

I don't mind the seating that much -- I mean, there aren't really any bad seats in international J -- but the attitude bothers me.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:21 pm

I would probably just say "no".
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by cperciva
Speaking of AC employees and seating... what's with that, anyway? Twice in the past year I've found an AC employee in my assigned seat (aka. the seat I deliberately picked when I booked my ticket) and was told that I should sit in the seat which they had been assigned instead.

I don't mind the seating that much -- I mean, there aren't really any bad seats in international J -- but the attitude bothers me.
It's called entitlement. But the apologists and fan girls on here will claim the customers (who keep ac in business) are there for the employees not the other way around.

I have seen some AC employees give up their j overhead space for pax seated in y when the bins are full. That's more rare than common though.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yeah, but how many people are taking a once-in-a-life-time aspirational trip in AC J?
Quite a few actually. And I've had the privilege of meeting some if them in my travels, including a newly wed gay couple on their honeymoon.

And they were tickled pink when the SD brought them a bottle of bubbly to enjoy for themselves, and everyone in the cabin in turn raised their glass for a toast

Last edited by kwflyer; Jun 10, 2016 at 10:56 pm
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by kwflyer
Quite a few actually. And I've had the privilege of meeting some if them in my travels, including a newly wed gay couple on their honeymoon.

And they were tickled pink when the SD brought them a bottle of bubbly to enjoy for themselves, and everyone in the cabin in turn raised their glass for a toast
Well, I was trying to make a joke

I have some family who may take their last "real" trip of their life in the next couple years, and given their desired destinations, I fully intend to book them on J.

TATL, I've never had better service than AC, and what you describe is not beyond what I would suspect these AC crews would do.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:44 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by ffsim
Corporate culture is so hard to change, especially when it's one of indifference or even disdain towards the customer. I'm not sure there's anything that can realistically be done to improve things without doing a complete reboot à la Air Canada rouge.
100% this.

You can't change a staff member who takes no pride in their work, doesn't enjoy it, and just goes through the motions.

That alone is probably the most significant difference separating ME3, Cathay, LH, BA, etc etc. from AC. The service is consistently better on those airlines with engaged, friendly, attentive FA's.

Not to say I've never had good service on AC but it is definitely far too consistently mediocre.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Only on AC.

Plenty of Y is humane
Have to concur!! ^
Old Jun 11, 2016, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by vernonc
My scoring system would be higher than yours for AC but not as high as ME carriers or Far East carriers.
I was scoring two specific flights, not an average score over hundreds of flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.