Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: What keeps you flying Air Canada despite the occasional beef?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: What keeps you flying Air Canada despite the occasional beef?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
The concierges in DEL, Himani and Lucky, they are amazing! Can they be promoted to run the Concierage program or train all the new ones?
I had pleasant encounter with Concierge Lucky in DEL last week. I agree with you, nice person happy to do anything to help.
Old May 24, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
My use of AC as a supplier has changed significantly over the past decade. It has gone from preferred supplier, to sentimental favourite, to only using it if;
1. The airline is an appropriate connector to one of my preferred international airlines or;
2. The price/schedule is right for my itinerary. I detest transiting the USA, or even flying there and pay the higher fares with AC to avoid the USA.
Old May 24, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: *A 50K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Several carrots, actually a costco size bag.
1. More destinations and frequency of flights than Westjet
2. SA Gold
3. Benefits of Status
4. Star Alliance
5. Aeroplan - some people have terrible experiences but I've booked two RTW's for my wife and I, and several other reward flights all in business to Europe.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Because they are the only direct flight from YYZ to Japan.
Old May 24, 2016, 8:11 pm

Programs: AC-E50. Marriott Plat
my travel patterns (business + personal) make AC the best choice for me. I live in Toronto, I represent European and US companies to sell their products to Canadian companies. I travel coast to coast in Canada, and I visit suppliers and trade shows in Germany and USA. So, despite the beefs, AC still keeps me flying...
Old May 25, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Snow Goose
As in, the #1 reason why you keep flying Air Canada despite the occasional beef?
...because I still get my AVML more often than I get the beef.

On a more serious note, it is because of the soft product! ^
Old May 26, 2016, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
I wonder why the mods changed the title of this thread?

Although the new title is clearer, the original title was appropriate and deliberate as a counterpoint.

SG
Old May 26, 2016, 2:53 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
1. The gifted E35K Status(Whatever that is still worth anyways), and likely E50 next year
2. Only one with 777 on YYZ-YVR. (My flight in Canada is on 777/787 90% of the time, i go out of myway to make sure I am flying on them)- Small/Old plane phobia, but hey, make it more awful and that phobia would be cured, thank you AC!
3. Porter did not get runway extension. (It would have been amazing, you know, an Airline treating most people equally)
4. I am pretty close to another redemption so............

Here's hoping Porter can become Jet Blue of Canada. Grow and build out its own presence while maintaining its core values. If they actually manage to do it, I might just overcome my fear of small planes.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; May 26, 2016 at 3:39 am
Old May 26, 2016, 5:43 am

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
Simple. I live in Ottawa and mainly travel longhaul in J.
  1. They can get me most conveniently to where I want to go. (It would force me to deviate to less convenient flight timings/routings to take anyone else)
  2. They meet my bar on service: safe, generally on time, flat beds in J. Everything else matters far less.
  3. In situations where #1 and #2 are not enough, they have titrated the loyalty benefits just enough that when I would otherwise be indifferent, I go for the AC option. (Due to IKK AE miles worth more to me than other programs, upgrades for my wife, etc)
  4. Altitude status really does help in IRROPS on AC metal (concierges, better/more proactive rebooking -- as well as just more alternative choices to my destination)
Basically, I may fuss and grumble, but their chosen market positioning and marketing adequately meets my needs. Where I am explicitly disloyal, it's usually due to #1 - e.g. Porter YOW-YTZ, or UA connections to smaller centres in the US via ORD or EWR.
Old May 26, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive Club, Asia Miles
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
they are better than Westjet. and I earn aeroplan points. despite the occasional headaches, aeroplan is worth something to me.
+1

Domestically always AC (unless WJ way way cheaper)...internationally I'm not too, too loyal, but usually *A, and if there isn't much difference in schedule/price tie goes to AC
Old May 26, 2016, 1:38 pm

They serve more of my travel plans than other carriers. I'm based in Toronto, so even if I wanted to take UA/etc it usually involves an AC flight first.

New York - most carriers do Toronto-NYC
SFO - most US carriers do this, but with a transfer... AC does direct
Vancouver/Calgary - Westjet comes to mind as cheaper
HKG - many carriers, but most don't serve US market as well
Taiwan - many carriers, but most don't serve US market as well
Old May 26, 2016, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
they are better than Westjet. and I earn aeroplan points. despite the occasional headaches, aeroplan is worth something to me.
What makes them "better" than Westjet? Westjet prices are typically lower (for locations they both serve). The people are supposedly friendlier.
Old May 26, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
The goal of hitting 3MM

(and the reality that they fly conveniently to most locations I want to go at a fair price and get me there safely and close to on-time.)
Old May 26, 2016, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by haolaowai_org
What makes them "better" than Westjet? Westjet prices are typically lower (for locations they both serve). The people are supposedly friendlier.
J product. Hot meals. Towel service.
Old May 26, 2016, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by haolaowai_org
Cheaper by what? $5? Aeroplan more than make up the difference. Plus WestJet FF is terrible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.