Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Using Aeroplan ticket value to another award zone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Using Aeroplan ticket value to another award zone?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX PLAT, Priority Pass, Admirals Club, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Using Aeroplan ticket value to another award zone?

It's looking like I am going to need to cancel a Business class Aeroplan award to Europe that is less than 21 days from departure. I understand that I can cancel it now and then apply the value of the ticket to a future redemption within 1 year. I am wondering if it is required for it to be the same award type or if it can be a different award type. For example, can I apply the value of the ticket towards a Business or First award to Asia and pay the difference in points?
Old May 24, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Yes you can
Old May 24, 2016, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by johnwmaher
It's looking like I am going to need to cancel a Business class Aeroplan award to Europe that is less than 21 days from departure. I understand that I can cancel it now and then apply the value of the ticket to a future redemption within 1 year. I am wondering if it is required for it to be the same award type or if it can be a different award type. For example, can I apply the value of the ticket towards a Business or First award to Asia and pay the difference in points?
I literally just did this.

You can redeem for something less but you lose the points.

Thats what the AP agent told me.

If you redeem for something more I guess its not an issue.

Last edited by superangrypenguin; May 24, 2016 at 9:32 am Reason: spelling. Was on my phone.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX PLAT, Priority Pass, Admirals Club, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I literally just did this.

You can redeem for something less but you lose the points.

Thats what the AP agent told me.

If you redeem for something more I guess its not an issue.
Thanks superangrypenguin. Just to clarify, you did change the award zone right? Ex. Changed canceled Europe award to Asia Award

Also I am assuming you had to pay the $90 fee per pax to change it?
Old May 24, 2016, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by johnwmaher
Thanks superangrypenguin. Just to clarify, you did change the award zone right? Ex. Changed canceled Europe award to Asia Award

Also I am assuming you had to pay the $90 fee per pax to change it?
I was evaluating my options as per the thread about where do I jet off to.

I had "allegedly" redeemed a ticket for 150,000 miles. One of my options was to rebook within a year, another option was to change the ticket for $90 (my ticket was for a fare that night), and then cancel it for $90.

During this process I asked what would happen if I booked a 50,000 mile ticket from YYZ YVR in J within the year, I was advised that I could do so, but would lose the 100,000 miles.

With that knowledge, I posted on this thread. Hope that helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.