Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting LAX, IAH, ORD, SFO

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Connecting LAX, IAH, ORD, SFO

I am looking at an AE J ticket coming inbound from Asia then connecting on to YYZ. The connection can be at LAX, IAH, ORD or SFO then onto AC from there to YYZ. Times and costs relativity close. Any advice as to which connection airport/lounge would be your first choice? Any to avoid?
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by ciana; May 2, 2016 at 5:56 am Reason: edited sentence
Old May 2, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I would go through LAX - 7x daily in case you misconnect, and usually two daily widebodies so you can have a lie-flat seat.
Old May 2, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Defibitely not ORD, where you have to carry your bags to the train and then
re-check.
Old May 2, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by eigenvector
I would go through LAX - 7x daily in case you misconnect, and usually two daily widebodies so you can have a lie-flat seat.
Question re: LAX, wouldn't Asia -> LAX -> YYZ on AC require a terminal change? Based on what I remember about LAX, I don't think there's a way to get to AC's terminal without needing to take some sort of shuttle bus?

Originally Posted by ciana
I am looking at an AE J ticket coming inbound from Asia then connecting on to YYZ. The connection can be at LAX, IAH, ORD or SFO then onto AC from there to YYZ. Times and costs relativity close. Any advice as to which connection airport/lounge would be your first choice? Any to avoid?
Thanks for your help.
Which airline are you flying Asia -> USA on? UA, BR, NH, SQ, TG, OZ, ... ? That extra bit of context might help.

Despite my hated for the horribad airport known as SFO, SF is a decent airport to connect to. Once you land and clear customs, you just need to head up one floor and go through security. Also, since your ticket is in J, you'd get the PLH J treatment

I think? AC pretty only flies barbie jets out of IAH so .... well it's only a few hours
Old May 2, 2016, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by maradori
Question re: LAX, wouldn't Asia -> LAX -> YYZ on AC require a terminal change? Based on what I remember about LAX, I don't think there's a way to get to AC's terminal without needing to take some sort of shuttle bus?
Fair point, you will have to transfer from TBIT to T2 most likely. I agree with you that SFO is also a good option (all things being equal I always like to connect at SFO for the Centurion lounge), and would avoid IAH or ORD like the plague.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Sorry that I didn't put this in my post. All of the options are NRT-?-YYZ with NH (ANA) from NRT and AC from whichever US connection point we choose to YYZ. ALL of points LAX, ORD,IAH,SFO look like they are available but haven't followed any of them all the through to make sure they are. From the posts above it looks like we should choose LAX or SFO. I was hoping NRT-YVR-YYZ would show but so far hasn't.
Thanks for all the help!
Old May 2, 2016, 10:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Sorry that I didn't put this in my post. All of the options are NRT-?-YYZ with NH (ANA) from NRT and AC from whichever US connection point we choose to YYZ. ALL of points LAX, ORD,IAH,SFO look like they are available but haven't followed any of them all the through to make sure they are. From the posts above it looks like we should choose LAX or SFO. I was hoping NRT-YVR-YYZ would show but so far hasn't.
Thanks for all the help!
ANA flies HND-YVR. Try that.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by pewpew
ANA flies HND-YVR. Try that.
Do they have the long-haul configuration 787 on this route now? I was looking at it last year and read that they were using a regional configuration 787 with angle-flat seats in J.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Do they have the long-haul configuration 787 on this route now? I was looking at it last year and read that they were using a regional configuration 787 with angle-flat seats in J.
Long-haul as of some point in this summer, I believe
Old May 2, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by maradori

Which airline are you flying Asia -> USA on? UA, BR, NH, SQ, TG, OZ, ... ? That extra bit of context might help.

Despite my hated for the horribad airport known as SFO, SF is a decent airport to connect to. Once you land and clear customs, you just need to head up one floor and go through security. Also, since your ticket is in J, you'd get the PLH J treatment

I think? AC pretty only flies barbie jets out of IAH so .... well it's only a few hours
At LAX you have to go landside to go from the TBIT term to the AC term so security one more time. No bus reqd, iits less than 2 mins walk curbside. The TBIT lounge is good and apparently so is the renovated AC lounge though I will not try it till later this month. US CBP at LAX and most airports can be horribly long unless you have Nexus/GE.
Old May 2, 2016, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

We do have Nexus. I looked at AE HND-YVR flights --seem good -- but then want 10-18 hr connection time for flight to YYZ with some being overnight so you either get a hotel or stay at airport. The direct HND-YYZ J ticket seems only to release 1 seat and we need 2 so that's why looking for other options.
Old May 2, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Take the flights with the longest uninterrupted time in int'l true J and the shortest time on domestic/transborder so-called "J" or "F".

The difference in suckage among the airports you've listed is smaller than the difference in suckage between J and "J".
Old May 2, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Only warning on that would be that ORD is risky at certain times of year (snow / lightning). Other than that, I'd maximise for time in international J.
Old May 2, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by krayZpaving
Only warning on that would be that ORD is risky at certain times of year (snow / lightning). Other than that, I'd maximise for time in international J.
Pretty much this. I'd connect in ORD (or IAH) and have the connection headache for the 14 hours + 90 minutes flights rather than 9+5 hours connecting in SFO or LAX.

At least with 14 hours, you can get an uninterrupted 8+ hours of sleep. With a 9 hour flight, you're getting 6.5 hours at best. (90-120 minutes after takeoff/food + 30-60 minutes before landing).
Old May 2, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Thanks for your help.
LAX. Make sure you have plenty of time and once you clear immig/customs, go back into TBIT and enjoy the *A Business Lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.