Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC makes Buzzfeed: "we need to talk about the stuff Air Canada tries to call food"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC makes Buzzfeed: "we need to talk about the stuff Air Canada tries to call food"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.

Buzzfeed Article: "we need to talk about the stuff Air Canada tries to call food"

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tanyachen/d...-ur-food-sucks

Last edited by Sean Peever; Apr 22, 2016 at 7:51 am Reason: Turned it into a real link when I got to a computer.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
I'm glad the 'banana bread' made the list.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Is there any way to get breakfast that isn't banana bread on my TATL economy class flight this summer? I'm allergic to bananas but I don't won't to go hungry.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
stick with meat or lamb. the fish is a disaster. had the green curry chicken on Rouge this week. slightly better than cardboard.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by smallmj
Is there any way to get breakfast that isn't banana bread on my TATL economy class flight this summer? I'm allergic to bananas but I don't won't to go hungry.
Get an SPML. I had the GFML (gluten-free meal, or, as yyznomad dubbed it, the girlfriend meal) and I got a dry muffin. Still better than the infamous banana bread.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
The Wealthy?

Really?! They lost me at that. What a display of being overly dramatic. I'm quoting here. "Oh, my expensive-[expletive removed] flight comes with complimentary stale bread?? Thanks sooooooo much. "

EXPENSIVE?! Bugger off lady.

Sure the food in J is better than the food in Y.

So either fly a lot and upgrade yourself, pay for the J meal (if that's an option which I believe is not an option for international flights), pay the LMU, or redeem for J.

Other than that, flying is more affordable than ever. Quit whining. (not directed at anyone other than the person who did whatever they needed to to make it on buzzfeed)

Cheap entitled people.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
I flew AC in Y for the first time in a while YYZ-SFO and was surprised at the quantity and quality of food available for purchase (hot food??? what???)

It *is* more expensive than AA/US/DL for transborder routes (esp in Flex, let's not even talk about J)… but I'd ask everyone who's complaining to fly United… and then comment on Air Canada.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
I always order a VEGAN meal. Today's GMO modified good will kill you.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
I feel like buzzfeed is learning from the CBC that taking any opportunity to bash airlines will draw a crowd :P.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Other than that, flying is more affordable than ever. Quit whining. (not directed at anyone other than the person who did whatever they needed to to make it on buzzfeed)

Cheap entitled people.
SAP! This grinds my gears!

Airfare is cheaper than ever.

I know a lot of people flying a couple of times a year, who otherwise wouldnt' have been able to afford to fly 20-30 years ago. Nowadays, airplanes are Greyhound buses with wings.

People need to stop complaining and enjoy the fact they can now travel to places that their parents never had to opportunity to.

Cheap entitled people.
+1
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by JamilD
I flew AC in Y for the first time in a while YYZ-SFO and was surprised at the quantity and quality of food available for purchase (hot food??? what???)

It *is* more expensive than AA/US/DL for transborder routes (esp in Flex, let's not even talk about J)… but I'd ask everyone who's complaining to fly United… and then comment on Air Canada.
I've flown Eewnited plenty of times, arguably .... actually even more than I flown on AC.

Each airline has its goods and bads. Perhaps AC > UA if you average out all the factors, but there are a few aspects of UA that I liked better than AC -- for example, I found that the UA "tapas" snackbox is excellent value and, juxtaposed with AC cafe, vastly superior

$8.99 = tapas snackbox (Olive Bites, Roasted Red Pepper Bruschetta, Rosemary Crackers, Hummus, Peppercorn Parmesan Cheese Spread, Herb and Spice Seasoned Pitted Olives, Natural Almonds, BrooksideŽ Dark Chocolate Acai with Blueberry Fruit Flavor)

$9 ...... edit: seems it's $9.95 now? = AC "duo" combo (1 meal item + 1 snack) er.......
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by maradori
$8.99 = tapas snackbox (Olive Bites, Roasted Red Pepper Bruschetta, Rosemary Crackers, Hummus, Peppercorn Parmesan Cheese Spread, Herb and Spice Seasoned Pitted Olives, Natural Almonds, BrooksideŽ Dark Chocolate Acai with Blueberry Fruit Flavor)

$9 ...... edit: seems it's $9.95 now? = AC "duo" combo (1 meal item + 1 snack) er.......
This is my favorite UA Y BOB meal too. Unfortunately, for most people, they think $9US is too expensive for an in-flight meal on a 3+ hour flight.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:50 am

The Wealthy?

Really?! They lost me at that. What a display of being overly dramatic. I'm quoting here. "Oh, my expensive-[expletive removed] flight comes with complimentary stale bread?? Thanks sooooooo much. "

EXPENSIVE?! Bugger off lady.

Sure the food in J is better than the food in Y.

So either fly a lot and upgrade yourself, pay for the J meal (if that's an option which I believe is not an option for international flights), pay the LMU, or redeem for J.

Cheap entitled people.
...but for the fact that many, many other airlines provide better catering at equivalent or lower prices.

Begs the question (assuming one has the intellectual capacity to free oneself from simplistic 'pax are cheap' or equally simple-minded dogmas)

- how do other airlines do it?

-Are their pax less cheap when they pay equal or lower amounts for similar length flights?

- or are some airlines simply too inefficient too provide equal quality products to their peers?

Besides, the whole 'pax get what they pay for' argument is torpedoed by airline profitability. Since airlines are making record profits, we can comfortably surmise that pax are getting ess than what they paid for.

In any event, the flying is more affordable argument is riddled with logical flaws too. Computers today are cheaper than ever before. And better. Thanks, I suspect, to the same 'cheap' tendencies you decry.

Not that I expect logic to get in the way of one's dogmas. They're mutually exclusive.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I would gladly pay a +$25 upcharge to get better food in Y on international long-hauls. "Buy J for better food" is not really a reasonable argument, when Y is $600 and J is $4000, nor is "buy PY for better food" when PY is rarely below $2000 for a TPAC. I don't think offering a food upsell in regular Y cannibalizes PY sales at all, when PY fares are now 2-3x regular Y for TPAC.

I am willing to pay for better food, but I want it "unbundled" from a higher class of service. Don't airlines love un-bundling?

I think only reason AC does not offer this is because their pathetic food IT and logistics cannot handle it. I mean, they are already incapable of offering pre-ordering for their J customers.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by yulred
Begs the question (assuming one has the intellectual capacity to free oneself from simplistic 'pax are cheap' or equally simple-minded dogmas)
That's a round about way of calling someone stupid.

I might not be bright, but now you hurt my feelings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.