Wiki Posts
Search

PVG Transit Procedure?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2016, 2:36 am
Original Poster

PVG Transit Procedure?

Hi Folks,

Been trying to research the above topic but getting a whole bunch of mixed information. We're on a AP reward ticket and will be arriving in PVG on a BR flight at 12:05PM, connecting onward to AC26 at 5:50. Our plan is to head out for lunch in Pudong somewhere but I'm not sure how the transfer is handled.

Would it be:

A) Bags are transferred automatically and boarding passes obtained in TPE. If we wanted to head out, we just go through immigration as per normal.

B) Reclaim bags and check in again at counter. If so, what time do the AC counters open?

My partner has a home return permit and my passport in visa-exempt so no issues on that end.

Thanks in Advance!
Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:19 am

You're looking at Option B. That said, you won't be able to re-check in your bags immediately. I think the AC counters open 3 hours before the flight. I am not sure if there is a holding area you might be able to use, but I used one of the transit hotels last time I passed through and crashed due to a bad flight (no sleep for 24 hours and the air had me coughing like crazy).

That said, personally, I didn't like PVG. Never mind the air quality, it was such a downer airport to transit in compared to other airports I have been in. (Sorry Jack) Most of the stuff was closed (both ways through it) and the people didn't seem to care. HKG has energy and even PEK had some cheerful staff.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
Also Pundong is a long drive (40min) or longer with traffic to and from the airport.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Silvercity
Also Pundong is a long drive (40min) or longer with traffic to and from the airport.
No drive, No traffic. Take the maglev train. Very fast.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 7:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
You're looking at Option B. That said, you won't be able to re-check in your bags immediately. I think the AC counters open 3 hours before the flight. I am not sure if there is a holding area you might be able to use, but I used one of the transit hotels last time I passed through and crashed due to a bad flight (no sleep for 24 hours and the air had me coughing like crazy).

That said, personally, I didn't like PVG. Never mind the air quality, it was such a downer airport to transit in compared to other airports I have been in. (Sorry Jack) Most of the stuff was closed (both ways through it) and the people didn't seem to care. HKG has energy and even PEK had some cheerful staff.
I have never had to pick up my bags transferring from a *A to AC. AC ticket counter does open 3 hours before flight and closes 1 hour before departure.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I have never had to pick up my bags transferring from a *A to AC. AC ticket counter does open 3 hours before flight and closes 1 hour before departure.
You weren't forced to exit airside and pick up your luggage? Maybe I missed something, but I've been forced to get my luggage every time I've had to go through. AC and others have never let me check my luggage all the way to the destination if I go through PVG.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Have you transferred from BR before? Were you given your boarding pass at the previous airport?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
No drive, No traffic. Take the maglev train. Very fast.
Maglev to Line 2 Subway is not as simple as it makes out to be.(With luggage, its going to be a chore)
Maglev's biggest flaw is it ends at longyang, as oppose to being more closer to the city.
I would just recommend taking Taxi out of PVG right away, line can be long but they move very fast.

There are also car services you can book online that's about the same price(DIDI is the name, which I think offers the best package, they wait for you at the exit, car got water and wifi, pretty sweet when you don't have a sim card yet)

I probably taken the car to PVG 20-30 times now, never a traffic jam. Hongqiao is a different story.

In your case.
5 Hours? I am almost 100% certain you won't make it if you want to eat somewhere good, which is located in Lujiazui/zhengda plaza

Good restaurants in Shanghai would have long lineups.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Apr 3, 2016 at 1:00 pm
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:16 pm
Suspended

You weren't forced to exit airside and pick up your luggage? Maybe I missed something, but I've been forced to get my luggage every time I've had to go through. AC and others have never let me check my luggage all the way to the destination if I go through PVG.
Exit same way, bags transfer.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zwkchong
Have you transferred from BR before? Were you given your boarding pass at the previous airport?
Never have transfered from BR.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Maglev to Line 2 Subway is not as simple as it makes out to be.(With luggage, its going to be a chore)
Maglev's biggest flaw is it ends at longyang, as oppose to being more closer to the city.
I would just recommend taking Taxi out of PVG right away, line can be long but they move very fast.

There are also car services you can book online that's about the same price(DIDI is the name, which I think offers the best package, they wait for you at the exit, car got water and wifi, pretty sweet when you don't have a sim card yet)

I probably taken the car to PVG 20-30 times now, never a traffic jam. Hongqiao is a different story.

In your case.
5 Hours? I am almost 100% certain you won't make it if you want to eat somewhere good, which is located in Lujiazui/zhengda plaza

I want to be on your flights to Shanghai. I must have done this flight over 150 times. I find Shanghai traffic bad 99% of the time between 5 to 8 pm. 5 hours is tons of time to have a great late lunch.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
I want to be on your flights to Shanghai. I must have done this flight over 150 times. I find Shanghai traffic bad 99% of the time between 5 to 8 pm. 5 hours is tons of time to have a great late lunch.
Well
I did live in shanghai(about 10 mins drive to Financial District in Pudong) for about 13 years before coming here.Traffic jam only starts happening near Century Avenue and if you had got out at the right exit you should be fine to escape the choke points. (Not bragging at all about years, but I feel like I generally "gets" the traffic in Shanghai and knows what routes to take in order to avoid the jams after all that time)

Even as i go back to Shanghai for summer internships/family visits for the past years via AC flights(Which I assume are the ones you take )I have yet to experience a traffic jam that's relative to what's happening on 401.

Maybe we can share a cab next time, taxi drivers love to take you on those long jams to rack up the charges if they think you are not from around here.(Happened to me once but I quickly realized what he was trying to do and said in chinese "hey, why don't you get off at this exit, it's quicker")

Shanghai Traffic towards PVG is not bad as long as you strategically plan out how you get there(SHA on the other hand I would agree with you, I only missed my flight once so far in my life and it happened due to complete chokehold traffic on the elevated roads)

Perhaps your hotels(And I am just guessing here) are located in Puxi near people's square which would explain how you see the traffic bad 99% of time.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Apr 3, 2016 at 5:05 pm
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Well
I did live in shanghai(about 10 mins drive to Financial District in Pudong) for about 13 years before coming here.Traffic jam only starts happening near Century Avenue and if you had got out at the right exit you should be fine to escape the choke points. (Not bragging at all about years, but I feel like I generally "gets" the traffic in Shanghai and knows what routes to take in order to avoid the jams after all that time)

Even as i go back to Shanghai for summer internships/family visits for the past years via AC flights(Which I assume are the ones you take )I have yet to experience a traffic jam that's relative to what's happening on 401.

Maybe we can share a cab next time, taxi drivers love to take you on those long jams to rack up the charges if they think you are not from around here.(Happened to me once but I quickly realized what he was trying to do and said in chinese "hey, why don't you get off at this exit, it's quicker")

Shanghai Traffic towards PVG is not bad as long as you strategically plan out how you get there(SHA on the other hand I would agree with you, I only missed my flight once so far in my life and it happened due to complete chokehold traffic on the elevated roads)

Perhaps your hotels(And I am just guessing here) are located in Puxi near people's square which would explain how you see the traffic bad 99% of time.

As for five hours for a good lunch in Pu Dong, If you put in 30 mins for the custom, and 2 hours back to the airport(redundancy)... I am not so sure about what good options are out there that's less than 30 mins away. I would just go with relaxing at the Air China lounge as oppose to the hustle.
I would like to share a cab. I usually stay at the Westin or 4 seasons. I have had a office in Shanghai for 20 years. I never get a cab that takes any short cut.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:05 pm

In your case.

Didi Dache (think Chinese UberX)was great for me when me and the wife were in China last. No free water or anything, but we managed to bypass so many traps using it... sure it cost a little more (surge pricing), but much better as we didn't know the city well.

Only downside is I believe you have to have a wechat account with funds... which unfortunately I didn't have (wife did).

But to re-iterate, if I had 8 hours and was fully aware of everything, then I would probably venture into the city. But if you factor in 2 hours of transit (1 hour each way) and another hour for check-in/security and at least 30 mins to get out of the airport, that's not going to leave you a lot of time to explore or have lunch (unless you can call ahead and reserve).
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:07 pm

Didi Dache (think Chinese UberX)was great for me when me and the wife were in China last. No free water or anything, but we managed to bypass so many traps using it... sure it cost a little more (surge pricing), but much better as we didn't know the city well.

Only downside is I believe you have to have a wechat account with funds... which unfortunately I didn't have (wife did).

But to re-iterate, if I had 8 hours and was fully aware of everything, then I would probably venture into the city. But if you factor in 2 hours of transit (1 hour each way) and another hour for check-in/security and at least 30 mins to get out of the airport, that's not going to leave you a lot of time to explore or have lunch (unless you can call ahead and reserve).
I think I might mess up the names, but I don't think I did.
You can try to order one of those five person business vans, they hand you a bottled water the moment they see you and for wifi you might have to ask them and i think it was only about 10-15% more expansive than a cab.
I will check on the name of the company again just be sure.
UPDATE: Yeah its called Didi Zhuanche, I highly recommend you guys or any other FTers try it out next time going to Shanghai.

My uber experience in China has been meh, but the fact it can bill me on my RBC Mastercard saves a lot of trouble(even with those exchange fees)

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Apr 3, 2016 at 5:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.