Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Transborder business award lounge access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Transborder business award lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Question Transborder business award lounge access

Flying YUL > YYZ > IAH on a business class award ticket and want to make sure what lounge access I have in YUL (MLL domestic?) and YYZ (MLL transborder and priority pass?). I have no airline status but I do have AMEX Plat.

YUL > YYZ is AC415 arriving Terminal 1
YYZ > IAH is UA6109 departing Terminal 1

Any gotchas I am not considering? UA metal or something? If not, are any of them worth visiting over another or skipping entirely?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
YUL = MLL domestic and the Mastercard lounge because you have an AMEX Plat. This is located almost directly across from the YUL International MLL. I would suggest you go to the Mastercard lounge or whatever it's called.

YYZ: MLL TB* and the Priority Pass lounge. I would strongly suggest you go to the priority pass lounge.

*Because you're on a business class ticket.

Edit: eigenvector used the term plaza premium lounge. It is interchangeable with the words priority pass lounge. E.g. they are the same thing
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Correct, you can access YUL Domestic MLL, YYZ Transborder MLL and YYZ Plaza Premium Transborder. In general, I find the hot food options better in the Plaza lounge, but the AC lounge is more spacious (if it isn't packed).
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
YUL = MLL domestic and the Mastercard lounge because you have an AMEX Plat. This is located almost directly across from the YUL International MLL. I would suggest you go to the Mastercard lounge or whatever it's called.

YYZ: MLL TB* and the Priority Pass lounge. I would strongly suggest you go to the priority pass lounge.

*Because you're on a business class ticket.

Edit: eigenvector used the term plaza premium lounge. It is interchangeable with the words priority pass lounge. E.g. they are the same thing
I saw the Mastercard lounge but I didn't think transborder qualifies unless they do not enforce this?

Thanks for the recommendations
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Correct, you can access YUL Domestic MLL, YYZ Transborder MLL and YYZ Plaza Premium Transborder. In general, I find the hot food options better in the Plaza lounge, but the AC lounge is more spacious (if it isn't packed).
Thanks, it's a personal trip and I do value food & drinks over work space so this helps.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by contactcr
I saw the Mastercard lounge but I didn't think transborder qualifies unless they do not enforce this?

Thanks for the recommendations
No problem. I don't do TB flights out of YUL but that would be irrelevant in this case.

The segment you're flying is domestic as you're going from YUL to YYZ.

The Mastercard lounge is nicer in the sense that it's more open, the bathrooms are nicer etc. I dislike the YUL MLL mainly for a few reasons. 1) It's literally at gate 1 or 2 etc so it's a bit of a slog. The YUL Masterrcard lounge is near gate 50 or something like that (please, don't hold me to it, I'm going off of memory). My flights usually were closer to the Mastercard lounge so it's a no brainer.

The YUL MLL is OK, I mean, the food and drinks offerings are roughly the same between the two. However, I find the YUL MLL to be full of riff raffs. Loud businessmen, as an example. I like to listen to music and keep to myself, and will almost always not be on a phone. Ergo, I prefer the mastercard lounge which is full of recreational travelers who are delighted to be in the lounge.

The lack of entitled people in the Mastercard lounge is what does it for me. But for all intents and purposes, I would look at whichever lounge is closer for your flight, and proceed that way.

The YUL MLL does have a view to the tarmac though, and the Mastercard lounge doesn't (IIRC, as it's a point that I don't usually care for)
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I dislike the YUL MLL mainly for a few reasons. 1) It's literally at gate 1 or 2 etc so it's a bit of a slog.
That certainly depends on where your flight is though

Yes, if I'm flying out of gate 50 or whatever, I will just go to the international lounge.

But the vast majority of my flights into and out of YUL have been much closer to the domestic lounge than anywhere else.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That certainly depends on where your flight is though

Yes, if I'm flying out of gate 50 or whatever, I will just go to the international lounge.

But the vast majority of my flights into and out of YUL have been much closer to the domestic lounge than anywhere else.
Woah, Really?
It takes longer to walk from Gate 2/3 to Gate 50 at YUL compare to enter and exit the security check again? :O
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

from Priority Pass:
Airside - after Security Checks, the lounge is located between Gates 52 and 53 next to the Duty Free Area.The lounge is suitable for pax traveling on intercontinental flights only.Pax traveling on Canadian domestic flights or flights to the USA cannot access the lounge
Still curious if that YUL MasterCard lounge will even be available. Some sites say domestic and intl and some say domestic ended Spring 2015 and some say intl only. Guess we'll find out
Old Mar 31, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Woah, Really?
It takes longer to walk from Gate 2/3 to Gate 50 at YUL compare to enter and exit the security check again? :O
Why do you need to enter and exit security? The international and domestic portions of the terminal in YUL are connected and no passport or security check is required.

I too use the international MLL when departing a domestic flight near gate 50. This is a privilege that seems to only be extended to SEs though.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by contactcr
from Priority Pass:

Still curious if that YUL MasterCard lounge will even be available. Some sites say domestic and intl and some say domestic ended Spring 2015 and some say intl only. Guess we'll find out
WOW.

HOW.

You honestly shocked me. I've never known this to be the case. Mind you, you and I have the AMEX Plat, so maybe that is PP's rule that you can't get in if you use the PP card?

I've used that lounge tens, if not hundreds of times for domestic flights! using my AMEX Plat.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Woah, Really?
Huh?

If I'm at gate 2, I use the domestic MLL.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
I personally haven't seen the charm of the Plaza Premium lounges. It wasn't mentioned previously but you do also have access to the domestic MLL in Toronto if you don't go right to the TB area.

Of all the lounge options that is actually my favorite. If you're at YUL earlier, I would just get on the next flight to Toronto and give yourself sometime in the Domestic MLL and then give yourself 90 minutes before your flight to clear US security and if you have time check out the transborder MLL or the Plaza Premium lounge.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
I personally haven't seen the charm of the Plaza Premium lounges. It wasn't mentioned previously but you do also have access to the domestic MLL in Toronto if you don't go right to the TB area.

Of all the lounge options that is actually my favorite. If you're at YUL earlier, I would just get on the next flight to Toronto and give yourself sometime in the Domestic MLL and then give yourself 90 minutes before your flight to clear US security and if you have time check out the transborder MLL or the Plaza Premium lounge.
It's not a PPL. It's a Mastercard lounge which you can access if you have a PPL membership or an AMEX Plat or whatever MC you need to get in.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
The main thing for me is I can often find a solid meal in the PP lounge late in the evening long after the MLL has gone to just chips and cookies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.