Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan upgrade awards?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Aeroplan upgrade awards?

I am booking a honeymoon trip to SE Asia for later this year and would like to fly business/first class. By the looks of the Star Alliance upgrade award chart (https://www3.aeroplan.com/saua/Chart.do), all I need is 100k Aeroplan miles to upgrade a couple economy fares to business?

Is there anything I'm missing here? Are the upgrades guaranteed as long as I'm booked in the right ticket class (Y/B/C/D)?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
No, the upgrades are not guaranteed. They are subject to the same space constraints as redeeming a business or first class regular award. That is, if you don't see any business or first class seats available for redemption on your chosen flight, then you will not be able to use a Star Alliance Upgrade Award.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
It may be cheaper to buy a restricted business class ticket (e.g., Z fare code) than a full fare economy (Y/B).
Definitely not guaranteed to get upgraded.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Well, the two replies above make sense. I thought 50k/ticket was too good to be true.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:32 pm

delete

Last edited by pitz; Mar 21, 2016 at 6:33 pm Reason: redundant
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
EVA air has some greatly priced upgradeable fare, but I suggest you sign up for EF to check out the inventory.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
Originally Posted by brisbane
I am booking a honeymoon trip to SE Asia for later this year and would like to fly business/first class. By the looks of the Star Alliance upgrade award chart (https://www3.aeroplan.com/saua/Chart.do), all I need is 100k Aeroplan miles to upgrade a couple economy fares to business?

Is there anything I'm missing here? Are the upgrades guaranteed as long as I'm booked in the right ticket class (Y/B/C/D)?
You may want to take a peek at RTW and similar Asia fares...
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
EVA air has some greatly priced upgradeable fare, but I suggest you sign up for EF to check out the inventory.
Thanks, what is EF?

I've flown YYZ --> TPE on EVA in biz class before and thought it was excellent.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by brisbane
Thanks, what is EF?

I've flown YYZ --> TPE on EVA in biz class before and thought it was excellent.
I have also flown this route on EVA in J and the service was excellent. The only downside was the rather late departure time from YYZ, but in some ways it is a benefit too (since you can still work a whole day first).

EF is Expert Flyer.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Angry *Alliance upgrade award

For years I have tried to use Aeroplan miles for Business/First upgrades and I have NEVER been able to get upgrade space. Currently I am trying to upgrade from Business to First on 4 Singapore Airline segments and I just get the same message...no upgrade available!
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
Originally Posted by rcr416
For years I have tried to use Aeroplan miles for Business/First upgrades and I have NEVER been able to get upgrade space. Currently I am trying to upgrade from Business to First on 4 Singapore Airline segments and I just get the same message...no upgrade available!
Agreed.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by rcr416
SQ First long haul award is virtually non-existent for non-KrisFlyer members.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:13 am

Quick question for you guys, is there any way to determine whether upgrades are available for a certain flight prior to booking your tickets?

Seems like from this website: https://www3.aeroplan.com/saua/Upgrade.do, you need an actual ticket number...?

Or is it like someone mentioned, if you search award availability and see J open, chances are you'll get the upgrade?

Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Or is it like someone mentioned, if you search award availability and see J open, chances are you'll get the upgrade?
That's exactly what you'll need to do to see I inventory.

As I said in my (deleted) post, the whole "program" is some sort of sick joke in most circumstances.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 5:17 pm

I used it to upgrade from LH Business Class to First (the awesome 747 First with a seat/separate bed) a couple years ago. It is possible every once in a while...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.