Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is Y is oversold if no Y fares available??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:21 am
LAX
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond

I have been monitoring my upcoming ACr flight once every few days. The Y seat map has been showing plenty of Y seats empty the the last few weeks. Now I realize the seat map is often not an accurate measure of how full Y is as some pax don't get seat assignment until check-in, and I would imagine it's more common on AC since there is a charge for that.

In any event, I just checked my flight and now only C (or C equivalent on ACr) is available for purchase. Does this mean Y is oversold? Or is that just a glitch & Y will be available for sale later?

If it's not oversold, is there another way to check the seat map? TIA.

LAX
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It generally means that coach is overbooked (not quite the same thing as oversold in airline-speak). However, you could be seeing married segment availability issues: the flight you want isn't being sold as a standalone flight but perhaps is available for connections to some highly profitable flight such as LHR, CDG, FRA, NRT or HKG for instance.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive Club, Asia Miles
Generally i would say that yes it is overbooked.

However recently I had the same thing happen, only to re-check a few days later and find some tickets available again. I really have no idea what happened, my assumption would be someone put them on hold but didn't purchase.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If a flight is Y0 "far out" from departure, they've almost certainly sold more seats than they have.

However, they do this BECAUSE they know they'll have no-shows, so while it might be oversold by 5 a week out, their expectation is that it will drop to just "full" by departure.

Originally Posted by stevescott1983
Generally i would say that yes it is overbooked.

However recently I had the same thing happen, only to re-check a few days later and find some tickets available again. I really have no idea what happened, my assumption would be someone put them on hold but didn't purchase.
I was watching a couple flights yesterday, and one was J4Y0 and suddenly jumped to J9Y9.

They'd replaced the E90 with a 320.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
They'd replaced the E90 with a 320.
Yeah very common for mainline E90/319/320/321 flights (where they can, in many cases, re-adjust dynamically). But within Rouge, seriously, what are the chances such happens? There's what, 2 Rouge A321's? And swapping a Rouge tail for a mainline tail means that they end up making mainline passengers suffer Rouge seating/(lack of) IFE/etc. I'm sure its happened during IRROPs, but its probably something AC is keen to avoid and doesn't do as a matter of routine (although more domestic Rouge is inevitable in the schedule!).
Old Mar 24, 2016, 1:33 am
LAX
Original Poster

Flight is in about a week and still no Y fares available for purchase (probably not a glitch). I somehow was able to look at a seat map using the confirmation I was provided (not directly purchased from AC) and it showed about 50% of Y seats unassigned. Is it pretty typical of ACr flights since most people don't want to pay extra for the seat assignment??

LAX
Old Mar 24, 2016, 4:23 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by LAX
about 50% of Y seats unassigned. Is it pretty typical of ACr flights since most people don't want to pay extra for the seat assignment??

LAX
Yes.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The flight can't be oversold until more people arrive at the gate on time and with valid boarding passes than there are seats. The flight is more than likely overbooked at this point. It is possibly booked to exact capacity.

Keep checking. Things change minute-by-minute.

Seat maps mean nothing.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
The flight can't be oversold until more people arrive at the gate on time and with valid boarding passes than there are seats. The flight is more than likely overbooked at this point. It is possibly booked to exact capacity.

Keep checking. Things change minute-by-minute.

Seat maps mean nothing.
Oversold would infer more tickets are SOLD than capacity.
Overbooked would infer more reservations are BOOKED than capacity.

They both could happen before people arrive at the gate.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 6:22 pm
LAX
Original Poster

Well, flight is about a week out and still no Y fares available for purchase. I guess it's likely to be overbooked. The core issue is I am trying to decide whether I should blink & fork out $$ for advanced seat assignments.

In an overbooked situation, I am concerned about having only middle seats available, resulting in our party of 4 being split up and scattered all over the cabin. I would rather not do that if I can help it.

For those of you who travel frequently on AC(r), are there usually good number of seats available to choose at the time of online check-in on an overbooked flight if the seat map looks decently open few days prior to that? TIA.

LAX
Old Mar 30, 2016, 6:29 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Oversold would infer more tickets are SOLD than capacity.
Overbooked would infer more reservations are BOOKED than capacity.

They both could happen before people arrive at the gate.
That isn't the way these terms are used in the airline industry.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by LAX
Well, flight is about a week out and still no Y fares available for purchase. I guess it's likely to be overbooked. The core issue is I am trying to decide whether I should blink & fork out $$ for advanced seat assignments.

In an overbooked situation, I am concerned about having only middle seats available, resulting in our party of 4 being split up and scattered all over the cabin. I would rather not do that if I can help it.

For those of you who travel frequently on AC(r), are there usually good number of seats available to choose at the time of online check-in on an overbooked flight if the seat map looks decently open few days prior to that? TIA.

LAX
Oh, man, if that is your motivation, my 2c is to pay the seat assignment fee and HOPE that there are still 4 together or even two pairs. My non-status family and associates who book Tango always end up in middles.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:48 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by flyquiet
Oh, man, if that is your motivation, my 2c is to pay the seat assignment fee and HOPE that there are still 4 together or even two pairs. My non-status family and associates who book Tango always end up in middles.
+1. It may be Rouge but there will be plenty of Flex tickets, altitude elites and Tango customers who all selected seats. If you don't care about 4 middle seats randomly scattered around the plane, then do nothing. I would personally pay for the seats. Also, on an overbooked flight, it will be non-status Tango tickets without seat assignments that will be bumped from the flight, if needed.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by LAX

LAX
It's often this type of inaction that leads to many of the stories you can get a chuckle out of in this thread: http://http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1464730-seat-swap-request-horror-stories.html
Old Apr 1, 2016, 2:13 am
LAX
Original Poster

It sounds like online check-in won't help me save some $$. I did factor in the seat assignment fees at the time of purchase, so it's not like I would end up paying more than the alternatives. I was hoping we can use the cash for a meal or something instead. Thanks everyone.

LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.