Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

flight overbooked; does ac make changes (eg bumping) day before or day of travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

flight overbooked; does ac make changes (eg bumping) day before or day of travel?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2016, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Our flight for Wed this week is overbooked (spoke to ac today). Does ac ever try to make changes (eg bumping) the day before or always on the day of the flight?
Old Mar 6, 2016, 4:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.1.2576 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Day of
Old Mar 6, 2016, 4:23 pm

Overbooking is routine, but its fairly rare that overbooking results in actual bumps. There is always a chunk of people who no-show, who mis-connect, who change their reservations.

Unless the situation is particularly severe (usually caused by a planned aircraft swap, for example), no, they don't do anything pro-actively. And even then, its often just editing reservations, ie: switching a connecting flight to a non-stop.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Thank you
Old Mar 6, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by pitz
Overbooking is routine, but its fairly rare that overbooking results in actual bumps. There is always a chunk of people who no-show, who mis-connect, who change their reservations.

Unless the situation is particularly severe (usually caused by a planned aircraft swap, for example), no, they don't do anything pro-actively. And even then, its often just editing reservations, ie: switching a connecting flight to a non-stop.
Actually, they do something pro-actively. They over sell to cover for the above mentioned variables.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:33 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
If you're lucky and you don't have anywhere pressing to go, you might get lucky and be able to volunteer to be bumped to a later flight for a few hundred bucks compensation.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

We are on a connecting flight from Toronto via Montreal to Orlando. This is the last connecting flight. If they would bump us to a direct flight that would be good. Busy time of the year though for the Orlando flights.

Also, we have a short connection time in Montreal, so hoping they don't delay our flight if they need to bump people and sort all of that out.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 6:29 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Yes, in that case, you wouldn't really want to take a later flight. Hopefully things will work out, getting on the direct would be nice, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
The AC mobile checkin site, as of recently, has been offering to let me "take an earlier flight for free" if the flight seems overbooked on expertflyer.com (my fare classes did not otherwise qualify me for free change or free SDC).

So that seems to be another way AC proactively saves $ by not needing to pay overbook compensation as much.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by riverfly
We are on a connecting flight from Toronto via Montreal to Orlando. This is the last connecting flight. If they would bump us to a direct flight that would be good. Busy time of the year though for the Orlando flights.

Also, we have a short connection time in Montreal, so hoping they don't delay our flight if they need to bump people and sort all of that out.
No, you WANT a connection (in ORD/EWR) to avoid the terrible Rouge product.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC S100K
AC will proactively phone to rearrange J passengers if an equipment change results in an oversell in that cabin.

Vouchers are offered and you can choose an earlier flight if you accept.

If they're proactive in other circumstances, I haven't experienced it.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 11:07 pm

Programs: TK*G
Yes, they do proactively make changes. A family member, travelling in Y, was called two days before their scheduled YYZ-YVR-YYJ and offered a switch to the direct YYZ-YYJ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.