Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Airbus A220 (ex CSeries) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Print Wikipost

Airbus A220 (ex CSeries) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by chriskayTO
I'm also pretty shocked they've done this - I agree they must've been given a sweet deal.

Can anyone elaborate more on why the E90s haven't worked out for AC?
Relatively higher maintenance cost and lower fuel efficiency than other comparable aircraft.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Any speculation regarding what the seating configuration would likely look like?

I suppose three rows of J eats in a 2-2 config and Y seats in a high-density 2-3 config?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Note that it is a Letter of Intent and not a firm order - usually means that the order can be cancelled with little/no penalty and deposit is returned.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:04 am
Original Poster
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by airbus320
AC must have got a hell of a price per unit.
What BBD should have been doing from the beginning instead of asking for a premium.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Relatively higher maintenance cost and lower fuel efficiency than other comparable aircraft.
They also do not like the cold.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:12 am

Programs: AC, WS, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by moorw003
The only surprise is the orders atm are all for CS300. One could argue that particular plane is more of a challenger to the 737-7 where the smaller plane probably plugs the gap of the outgoing E90 better.
My first thought was CS300 as a 319 replacement.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
They also do not like the cold.
They are known as Jungle Jets to the maintainers.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:18 am
Suspended

AC knows how to play the political stuff very well. They know the new government will bail out BBD with some loans and a change in their share structure so making this deal is a very smart move by AC and they are getting a very good plane. Supporting the Quebec aerospace industry is the right thing for the feds to do.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver
Originally Posted by screw2000
My first thought was CS300 as a 319 replacement.
Interesting thought. You suggesting the CS300 could be a Rouge specific plane maybe?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by GJS - yow
The Pratt & Whitney PurePower® PW1500G engines are awesome - ultra-efficient, ultra-low emissions, ultra quiet.
and they are made in Quebec.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
I'm glad AC finally jumped in ^

And I agree that the price paid is probably on the cheaper side but that is what BBD had to do; get a major airline to buy their product and get them in the air ASAP so other airlines can see how good this product is in "real life".
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:35 am
Original Poster
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Another piece of the puzzle.

Air Canada C Series Airframe Heavy Maintenance to be Performed in Quebec

Air Canada to Collaborate in Establishment of Centre of Excellence for C Series Aircraft Maintenance

MONTREAL, Febr. 17, 2016 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada said that further to its earlier announcement today of a Letter of Intent (LOI) with Bombardier Inc. for the acquisition of up to 75 Bombardier C Series 300 aircraft, it has agreed to have its C Series airframe heavy maintenance work performed in Quebec by a recognized maintenance provider for a minimum of 20 years from first delivery in 2019. It is expected that Air Canada's commitment in this regard will help establish a Centre of Excellence for C Series aircraft maintenance in the province. As a result, subject to completion of final agreements, the Government of Quebec has agreed to discontinue the litigation related to Air Canada's obligations regarding the maintenance of an overhaul and operational centre.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
As taxpayers we were always going to bail out BBD; it was just a question of whether the money would only come from the provincial government or if the federal government would help out.

I'm pleased with the announcement because it means the C-Series will be showcased at a major North American airline -- hopefully it'll stir enough interest from other players so the plane really takes off.

Still, I can't help but be a little cynical at the timing of the LOI given the pending layoffs.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by yscleo
and they are made in Quebec.
And also the heavy maintenance which fulfills their obligations under the ACPPA. Gov't of Quebec will drop their suit.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/air-ca...142800891.html
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Cruban
Note that it is a Letter of Intent and not a firm order - usually means that the order can be cancelled with little/no penalty and deposit is returned.
In this case, it more probably a question of timing, BBD needed to announce the order with their results, and not enough time for final sales contract between them and AC, so LOI it is!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.