Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Can't OLCI transborder: dreaded SSSS?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP

Can't OLCI to US today with T<24h. Went through the entire OLCI then said there's an error. Called AC and they said may be a security thing with the US customs. Does this mean I'll get the dreaded SSSS? I have NEXUS.

GT
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: AC*75K
That's the most likely scenario. It only takes an extra 5 minutes to deal with the SSSS, it's just a bag swab and a pat down/radiation therapy.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
did you enter your NEXUS number on OLCI and/or booking? There is a condition where if you enter NEXUS as KT number AND as the ID to be used when traveling, it coughs up a hairball and can't complete OLCI.
Based on my past panic about the same (and I know, no biggie having SSSS, really) if you clear your cache and cookies from the various AC sites and try OLCI again and use your passport, it may work.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Well, as I posted a while back, even with my Nexus, I get the SSSS.
Anyway, I did not get it for yesterday's departure, but the previous trip it came with a very nice back massage - no radiation - and I actually got through faster than the people in the Nexus line. Clown show.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:44 am
Original Poster

I tried both passport and NEXUS when I did OLCI.

I thought SSSS needs to go to the separate CBP area and you have to wait a while being questioned by US CBP before they stamp you, no?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:47 am

SSSS is not US CBP.

It's a CATSA thing.

Just go to the Nexus line, and indicate you have SSSS (after your are in line.).

Before the BIG AWESOME MACHINE THAT SEES ALL, tell them you are SSSS.

They'll take you over to the front of the line of NORMAL SUSPICIOUS PEOPLE.

They'll do your bags, and make you go through the MACHINE THAT LETS THEM SEE YOUR GOODIE BAG NAKED.

After that, all will be fine, AND THE WORLD BE WILL BE MORE SECURE.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Ok good; hopefully I won't get flagged during Global Entry either
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
I did a same day YOW-DCA-YOW trip a few months ago and got SSSS from the check-in kiosk at DCA on the return. The check-in counter wasn't busy. I showed my NEXUS card and my BP was cheerfully re-printed without SSSS. YMMV.
--
13F
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
The last time I got SSSS at YVR they give me a nice little yellow sign to make sure everybody knew how hazardous I was.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by gtpdiddy
Can't OLCI to US today with T<24h. Went through the entire OLCI then said there's an error. Called AC and they said may be a security thing with the US customs. Does this mean I'll get the dreaded SSSS? I have NEXUS.

GT
Had exact situation a couple of years ago. Had to use kiosk at airport. Sure enough, even with Nexus, SSSS came up. No way out of it but also, no big deal.

Have had SSSS 4 or 5 times over the years. Only time it was an issue was due to original flight being cancelled by UA. Four of us were rebooked with departure in less than one hour. It triggered SSSS. TSA said they'd never seen this (so many people, same flight) and it became suspicious for them. They were quite thorough.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
The last time I got SSSS at YVR they give me a nice little yellow sign to make sure everybody knew how hazardous I was.
Last time I had SSSS printed on my BP, all the different agents who check passenger BPs on the way to airside circled the SSSS printing on my BP with bright shiny highlighters just in case anyone missed the fact that I got SSSS and did not inspect me thoroughly.
At the end, I had like 3-4 different colors of thick circles around SSSS.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I tried both passport and NEXUS when I did OLCI.

I thought SSSS needs to go to the separate CBP area and you have to wait a while being questioned by US CBP before they stamp you, no?
Worth a shot to clear cache and cookies and try again though. If it still will not go, then you may get SSSS when printed at airport.

But as others have posted, SSSS can be quick. It depends on how they feel about you on the day. It's not necessarily a secondary.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:58 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Ok good; hopefully I won't get flagged during Global Entry either
Has no effect; the SSSS is for security screening, not immigration.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Plat, Natl Exec, NEXUS
I've had SSSS 12 times now in the last 4 years, as a Nexus member. It's never resulted in a secondary inspection by CBP. Just the extra attention to your bags and your person, which has never added any significant time to my security experience. CATSA has always been quite good at it in YEG or YVR (I've never had it happen when crossing at YYC or YYZ for whatever reason, even though I cross the border a lot in those locations).
Old Jan 29, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
I'm happy that they at least give some advance notice that you're going to be SSSS'd. It gives me a chance to empty my pockets and give my jacket and carry-on to my wife, who invariably never gets the special treatment. I usually breeze through security after that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.