Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada does not make top 20 list of safest airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member

AirlineRatings.com, the world’s only safety and product rating website, which was launched in June 2013, has announced its top twenty safest airlines and top ten safest low cost airlines for 2016 from the 407 it monitors.

Top of the list for the third year is Australia’s Qantas, which has a fatality free record in the jet era – an extraordinary record. Making up the remainder of the top twenty in alphabetical order are:

Air New Zealand, Alaska Airlines, All Nippon Airlines, American Airlines, Cathay Pacific Airways, Emirates, Etihad Airways, EVA Air, Finnair, Hawaiian Airlines, Japan Airlines, KLM, Lufthansa, Scandinavian Airline System, Singapore Airlines, Swiss, United Airlines, Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Australia.
Westjet makes it in to the top 10 list for LCC's.

http://www.airlineratings.com/news/6...rline-for-2016
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Well.. AC did have a runway overrun in halifax and severe turbulence in the past year
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by cooleddie
Well.. AC did have a runway overrun in halifax and severe turbulence in the past year
I guess that is the point of the list!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cooleddie
Well.. AC did have a runway overrun in halifax and
Hard landings aside....
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Hard landings aside....
For one incident AC did not make it. Seriously. Me think there is more to it than 1 incident.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Did they seriously use an computer-made picture for United? They couldn't find a SINGLE picture of a United plane on the internet?

Or does it only look fake to me?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyzprincess
For one incident AC did not make it. Seriously. Me think there is more to it than 1 incident.
These things are useless if methodology is unclear.

Further, annual ratings really make no sense given the small probabilities involved.

Finally, differences between the top airlines are likely insignificant enough to make them meaningless.

None of this meant to defend AC. There may well have been good reasons to lower them on the list.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:39 pm
Suspended

And I presume you have the list already made up.

Was it not last year that the LH LCC German wings had a pilot take down a flight.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Meaningless. If you dig a little on the site, you can see that AC is rated 7/7 same as ~140 other airlines.

Unclear methodology, meaningless results.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:19 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Stranger
These things are useless if methodology is unclear.

Further, annual ratings really make no sense given the small probabilities involved.

Finally, differences between the top airlines are likely insignificant enough to make them meaningless.

None of this meant to defend AC. There may well have been good reasons to lower them on the list.
Right? If one airline made the list with a 99.99% safety rating, while another placed fiftieth with a 99.98% rating, what are we learning here?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:41 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
The ratings are a summation of the existing data. The rating system is transparent in the sense that it lists the sources of the data. The results provide a strong and reliable indication of the safety rating of the airlines. It shows that there are many airlines just as safe or safer than AC.
There will always be those who wish to denigrate an airline based upon safety.For example, I saw it with West Jet. The ratings show that West Jet is a safe option.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Please explain? More than 1 incidents? How did AC keep that out of the news? Olivia Pope?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dorian
Westjet makes it in to the top 10 list for LCC's.

http://www.airlineratings.com/news/6...rline-for-2016
Would one need to be an airline to make the list?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:33 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Please explain? More than 1 incidents? How did AC keep that out of the news? Olivia Pope?
A quick scan of incident reports shows that AC has a constant number of basic maintenance and reliability issues. Examples are hydraulic system failures, bleed issues, gear and flaps issues. One doesn't see such issues with such regularity with a Qantas or EVA. The mechanical issues are a reflection of the aircraft fleets, their age, the maintenance and the type of routes. Mechanical reliability is part of the safety characteristic.

And to avoid any hysterical responses, I am not saying AC's planes are flying death traps or that they are dangerous. Dangerous are airlines that insist on using MD series planes that should have been retired long ago. However, if an airline has a constant number of mechanical reliability issues, it's not going to help the safety rating. No doubt that once AC takes delivery of its new equipment, this will be reflected in a decrease in the regular breakdowns of the aging fleet.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
A quick scan of incident reports shows that AC has a constant number of basic maintenance and reliability issues. Examples are hydraulic system failures, bleed issues, gear and flaps issues. One doesn't see such issues with such regularity with a Qantas or EVA. The mechanical issues are a reflection of the aircraft fleets, their age, the maintenance and the type of routes. Mechanical reliability is part of the safety characteristic.

And to avoid any hysterical responses, I am not saying AC's planes are flying death traps or that they are dangerous. Dangerous are airlines that insist on using MD series planes that should have been retired long ago. However, if an airline has a constant number of mechanical reliability issues, it's not going to help the safety rating. No doubt that once AC takes delivery of its new equipment, this will be reflected in a decrease in the regular breakdowns of the aging fleet.
Sorry but you don't know what you are talking about.
The basic maintenance issues you list are more attributable to aircraft design issues which AC has no control over.
I would be concerned with an airline that isn't reporting mechanical issues on their airplane. The fact that AC reports these incidents shows of the strong safety culture in Canada.

Once they take delivery of new airplanes its typical to actually see an increase in the number of issues due to infant mortality issues.

Qantas essentially wrote-off an A380 a few years ago but spent hundreds of millions of dollars to fix it just to keep their track record of no hull-losses. Not a knock against Qantas because Australia also has a great reporting system, but again a design issue with the aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.