Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Priority baggage traveling as a family

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2016, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC

First time poster. I am E75K and recently returned from trip with my family (6 of us in total) from FLL to YYZ. At the checkin was told that only 3 bags could be tagged as priority and remaining three bags could not be priority unless I paid $100 per bag and checked them as excess allowance under my profile rather than the $19 USD baggage fee applicable for the remaining three bags for non status passengers. Agent said that she would put priority tags on all the bags but when they were scanned they would likely remove the priority tags from the three non eligible bags which is exactly what happened. On arrival in Toronto three priority bags came out first and then waited 15 minutes for remaining bags. There is no benefit to having priority baggage handling when it doesn't apply to all your checked luggage. None of my family has any status yet they can all gain lounge access and can board in Zone 2 with me so why wouldn't the priority baggage benefit extend to everyone as well.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
That could be an awful lot of extra Priority bags if ever implemented, which would be to the detriment of the rest of the Altitude community.

Many families will manage with the 3-bag limit, but tough for a large family such as yours.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, O6*G, WS Gold
Originally Posted by exCPT
First time poster. I am E75K and recently returned from trip with my family (6 of us in total) from FLL to YYZ. At the checkin was told that only 3 bags could be tagged as priority and remaining three bags could not be priority unless I paid $100 per bag and checked them as excess allowance under my profile rather than the $19 USD baggage fee applicable for the remaining three bags for non status passengers. Agent said that she would put priority tags on all the bags but when they were scanned they would likely remove the priority tags from the three non eligible bags which is exactly what happened. On arrival in Toronto three priority bags came out first and then waited 15 minutes for remaining bags. There is no benefit to having priority baggage handling when it doesn't apply to all your checked luggage. None of my family has any status yet they can all gain lounge access and can board in Zone 2 with me so why wouldn't the priority baggage benefit extend to everyone as well.
How were you able to guest 5 people into the lounge?
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:59 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I believe that the GA gave you an option to ensure that, if you called them all yours, would allow you to put priority tags on the bags. It sounds like it was your decision not to call them yours. So the priority tags did apply to all of your bags. Your status allows for 3 bags, that is defined.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
While I am sorry to hear it didn't work well in your situation. It does sound to me like the agent followed the correct policy.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
How many family members could one be allowed?
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:21 pm

Do they actually remove priority tags for those who aren't eligible? Haven't ever heard of AC doing that. Sounds like a lot of work...
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by kevy_boy
How were you able to guest 5 people into the lounge?
you are allowed 1 guest / spouse & dependant children if E50K or higher

Maple Leaf Lounge access is for departing passengers with the exception of VIP, Super Elite 100K, Elite 75K, Elite 50K members and their qualifying guests (spouse or domestic partner, dependent children and one guest), can enjoy the additional privilege of access to the domestic Maple Leaf Lounge upon arriving at airports in Canada.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hydrogen
Do they actually remove priority tags for those who aren't eligible? Haven't ever heard of AC doing that. Sounds like a lot of work...
I think I had that happen once.

I was flying YYZ-YUL-MCO with a friend. I had two bags, he had one. I was SE, he was nothing. We were booked in Y (ugh - the last major booking I had in Y).

The concierge didn't charge us for bags, and tagged them all as priority, but when they came out in MCO, his was missing the priority tag, and came last.

I suspect she had somehow waived the fee because I was entitled to 3, but still checked his under his name, so the barcode didn't show priority, and someone, somewhere, removed the tag.

Otherwise it's an insane coincidence that of the 3 bags we checked, only his lost the priority tag.

As for the OP, I can't say I disagree with the policy.

If I had to wait 15 minutes because eighteen other "priority" people each checked six bags, I'd be marching over to the baggage help desk, loudly proclaiming, "but I'm a diamond member!"
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:57 pm

the orange priority tags don't mean much, yes allows baggage handlers to spot bags, but the baggage handling scanners read barcode on real tag. That tag marks a bag as priority or regular, unless checked in by actual *G not tagged prioirty

They probably rip them off if dumped into regular pile, so they do not confuse someone further down the line.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by xLuther
the orange priority tags don't mean much, yes allows baggage handlers to spot bags, but the baggage handling scanners read barcode on real tag. That tag marks a bag as priority or regular, unless checked in by actual *G not tagged prioirty

They probably rip them off if dumped into regular pile, so they do not confuse someone further down the line.
Correct. The orange priority tags are just for show. The barcode is what matters.*

* the good Dr. who used to be a handler did mention once when the tags are used, but for all intents and purposes, they are for show.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Correct. The orange priority tags are just for show. The barcode is what matters.*

* the good Dr. who used to be a handler did mention once when the tags are used, but for all intents and purposes, they are for show.
They weren't always for show. And they may not be for show everywhere.

But they are just for show in a lot of places.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 8:29 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by canadiancow
They weren't always for show. And they may not be for show everywhere.

But they are just for show in a lot of places.
Agreed. Many, many airports do not have barcode luggage handling. Those are usually the destinations from where where my bags come out last.

But those tiny airports that use stairs instead of a jetway are totally worth it!!!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: *G
We have had that experience several times. It was (is) a huge problem with reward travel using someone else's points. AC allegedly solved that problem, but as reported elsewhere, they actually made it worse and there has been silence from AC ever since.

But to reiterate, they really do remove priority taggs, although we once had one bag survive by attaching my SE tag near the priority/baggage tag.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
This just happened to me. Flew EZE-YYZ-YVR. EZE agent tagged all three bags + 2 child seats with priority tags, and they were delivered first, with their tags intact, at YYZ. By the time we got to YVR, however, the priority tags had been stripped from the 1 bag and 1 car seat not under my allowance, and those items came out with the regular luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.