Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Harbingers of failure?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2016, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Data? This is more a general knowledge with regards to direct flights. A direct flight has a +2K value to me over 1 or 2 stop on trans pacific flight. Yes, not every flyer is willing to pay, 5K, but some are willing to pay Dble. Not everyone has a company travel budget that limits fares costs.

You wrote

Most high value customers will always take the direct flight....
I asked

Originally Posted by 24left
How do you know that?
Do you have AC and other airline data to support that?

Regardless of your assumption that "Most high value customers will always take the direct flight", not every flyer will pay the $5,022 - whether they are self-funded or employees with a company who has a travel budget.

You do not represent everyone who flies.
I do not represent everyone who flies.

And yet, here we are and you still have not answered the question, how do YOU know that "Most high value customers will always take the direct flight"?

And if you have time, feel free to share your definition of a "high-value customer".
Old Jan 1, 2016, 10:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life

And if you have time, feel free to share your definition of a "high-value customer".

Someone who has control over his/her travel, will basically no limits on fares who fly's Lat/J/F.

Last edited by Wpgjetse; Jan 1, 2016 at 11:00 pm
Old Jan 2, 2016, 1:44 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Someone who has control over his/her travel, will basically no limits on fares who fly's Lat/J/F.
Well I would match your definition 100% ( well I bought 2 flex fares this year - the rest of the 67 segments were latitude and J ) and yet I do not travel how you suggested all the time.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 1:46 am
Suspended

.....Take HK flights. Direct flights give me a extra day + of work for the same time away.
Your profile says you are in YVR so perhaps your flights to HKG are direct. Those in a more eastern part of the country have more choice than direct and there are many reasons including the ones I pointed out upthread.

AND

And yet, here we are and you still have not answered the question, how do YOU know that "Most high value customers will always take the direct flight"?
Old Jan 2, 2016, 4:25 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Data? This is more a general knowledge with regards to direct flights. A direct flight has a +2K value to me over 1 or 2 stop on trans pacific flight. Yes, not every flyer is willing to pay, 5K, but some are willing to pay Dble. Not everyone has a company travel budget that limits fares costs.
I can certainly understand your point that there are many people who are not price sensitive. My experience is that they tend to be located in regions other than Canada such as the Gulf region and Asia. This is attributable to two reasons;
1. Canada does not have very many super wealthy people, despite claims to the contrary from those who wish to point at wealth disparities in Canada (look at the Stats Can data) and;
2. Those who are not price sensitive will usually spend their money on a first class airfare or a higher end airline. Sorry to say, but AC isn't the airline of choice for the Gulf's or Asia's rich kids studying in Canada. If price isn't a factor, prospective customers will opt for something more in line with their expectations, especially since they couldn't care less about FF miles. Who needs it when one is flying in premium business or First?

In respect to your comment about travel budgets, yes, I certainly can agree that there are a few company owners who won't quibble. However, based upon my own experience and observation, I believe that they are few and far between. We shall just have to agree to disagree as to the size of the premium product consumer segment at AC who are not price sensitive.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:24 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

And for those who are not price sensitive Air Canada should be raising prices, perhaps significantly.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:28 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Well I would match your definition 100% ( well I bought 2 flex fares this year - the rest of the 67 segments were latitude and J ) and yet I do not travel how you suggested all the time.
Ditto.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
why would someone suffer AC poor service for $2k more, rather than have a connection on a great airline? I guess each person has to make there own personal choices.

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 3, 2016 at 6:02 am
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by flybit

Sometimes I wonder whether some people are here to promote AC, what are they getting? Or are they here to justify something?
I wonder that too.

Why am I flying AC J later today, because it was direct, times better than the alternatives, but most importantly cheapest. I like my money.

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 3, 2016 at 6:02 am
Old Jan 3, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: AC*SE,MM
Originally Posted by KenHamer
If you could read you would have found that this article had nothing to do with failing businesses. Rather it noted research that suggests certain purchasers, typically early adopters, can sometimes indicate products that will not go over well with the general public.

Given the oft repeated claim that FTers are completely different that "normal" flyers, it seemed there may be potential that some FTers might indicate less than successful products.
I found that story very credible. This happens all the time in tech startups, it's a major pitfall of investing in them. The business model required to find and support customers can often require the price to be higher than a select few will pay.

My main observation of the difference between FT posters and the broader frequent flying public is the different value placed on nonstops. In the broader marketplace it is a massive point of differentiation, on here not so much.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by ensco
I found that story very credible. This happens all the time in tech startups, it's a major pitfall of investing in them. The business model required to find and support customers can often require the price to be higher than a select few will pay.

My main observation of the difference between FT posters and the broader frequent flying public is the different value placed on nonstops. In the broader marketplace it is a massive point of differentiation, on here not so much.
I had a bit of a laugh at myself on your non stops point. There was a time when I really wanted to get to wherever I was going asap. What did I need to get there so fast for? Another 12 hours didn't make a difference except that I could use it to rest up properly.
In the past couple of years, I have tried to get a stop over. On the TPAC from BKK or SIN to YUL or YYZ it can be a rough flight even if I can get a direct from TYO or HKG to YYZ. It means getting up at an awful early hour, which means I had to go to bed at an early hour and lost a night of fun in Bangkok with my crew. I rather like getting in to AMS or FRA early in the evening, having a nice shower and 8 hours of sleep in a real bed and starting out again. I actually look for flights on my way home where I can take a break like that. I find I don't have jet lag. Amazing what age does with one's perspective. Also, I stopped being an obsessive about non stops after reading some of the FFs experiences here. No idea why I was so scared of a stopover.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
....I actually look for flights on my way home where I can take a break like that. I find I don't have jet lag. Amazing what age does with one's perspective. Also, I stopped being an obsessive about non stops after reading some of the FFs experiences here. No idea why I was so scared of a stopover.

Exactly. I could not understand why I was being challenged by the other poster when I am not the only one who does stopovers and sees a benefit to them, for a variety of reasons.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I had a bit of a laugh at myself on your non stops point. There was a time when I really wanted to get to wherever I was going asap. What did I need to get there so fast for? Another 12 hours didn't make a difference except that I could use it to rest up properly.
In the past couple of years, I have tried to get a stop over. On the TPAC from BKK or SIN to YUL or YYZ it can be a rough flight even if I can get a direct from TYO or HKG to YYZ. It means getting up at an awful early hour, which means I had to go to bed at an early hour and lost a night of fun in Bangkok with my crew. I rather like getting in to AMS or FRA early in the evening, having a nice shower and 8 hours of sleep in a real bed and starting out again. I actually look for flights on my way home where I can take a break like that. I find I don't have jet lag. Amazing what age does with one's perspective. Also, I stopped being an obsessive about non stops after reading some of the FFs experiences here. No idea why I was so scared of a stopover.
Both routings also allow routing via PEK/SHA/SEL on TG/SQ/KE/OZ (and, that way, you can have the 12 hours instead spent in SHA/SEL/PEK instead.)
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:56 pm

Exactly. I could not understand why I was being challenged by the other poster when I am not the only one who does stopovers and sees a benefit to them, for a variety of reasons.
You're challenging most HVC prefer, and often pay extra, for non-stop offerings over connections?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
You're challenging most HVC prefer, and often pay extra, for non-stop offerings over connections?
Do you really want me to answer?

Oh wait, I challenged the other guy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.