Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Checked coat mix-up, FA error, what to expect

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE

Flew in J to ICN with connection in YVR on Dec. 3rd. FA took coat in YYZ prior to pulling away from gate. Prior to landing in YVR, coat was returned and hung on pod coat hook. On landing, too warm to put coat on, so draped over my arm.

Was 3rd or 4th off plane. Tight connection, marched to MLL quickly to access WIFI/email. Threw coat on lounge club chair and saw straight away in good lighting it was not my coat. Went directly to MLL reception who ran to plane which was still off-loading. Nothing in cupboard. MLL reception had me file a missing luggage claim. Kept wrong coat as needed something to use in cold-ish Korean temperatures. On landing in ICN, also emailed customer relations. Got a reply saying someone would follow-up, never happened.

Day before return flight, emailed YVR concierge and arranged to drop-off 'wrong' coat and asked about my missing coat. Concierge met me on landing in YVR & said my coat had not yet turned up, then took the other coat away.

That was > 10 days ago. Emailed customer relations again, no reply.

Flying out on holiday in a few days. When I get back in a few weeks, no doubt there will be little/no movement from AC to replace the missing coat before winter is ended.

Any suggestions on what I should expect? I realize I didn't spot the error immediately on the plane, but I did recognize the switch within 10 minutes of leaving the plane. If the colour, material and style had not been similar, it would have jumped out immediately to me. Or if I had put the 'tent' on before I deplaned. But I didn't. Does AC have any responsibility here? No ID in the wrong coat, cannot contact the other party directly.

TD AP Visa Infinite will not process a claim for 'lost luggage' until AC closes their file.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
A free roundtrip ticket from AC, but you pay the hefty fuel surcharges.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
So sorry to hear about this. You may have lost a coat but you gained a learning experience that will help ensure you won't ever let that happen again.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 1:33 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
If my lost pyjamas this past summer are any indicator, you will not hear back from AC.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 1:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
So you kept someone else's coat for the whole trip? I wonder they were looking for it?

Safe travels,

Doc
Old Dec 22, 2015, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
So you kept someone else's coat for the whole trip? I wonder they were looking for it?

Safe travels,

Doc
It was cold in Korea - I needed something to wear, and did not want to rush-buy a temporary coat there. I figured he had mine. I also told AC I would leave the other guy's coat in YVR on the return flight, in case he contacted AC while I was away.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
I had the wrong coat given to me a couple years ago. Someone got my much more expensive parka and I got a cheap Geox one in return. They looked remarkably similar so I didn't actually notice it until my next trip over a month later. I was basically told by AC to keep the coat as there was little chance of seeing mine again, so I did. I didn't raise a stink with AC as it was an honest mistake by the flight attendant and my own fault for not catching it. I blame myself.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by jautis
It was cold in Korea - I needed something to wear, and did not want to rush-buy a temporary coat there. I figured he had mine. I also told AC I would leave the other guy's coat in YVR on the return flight, in case he contacted AC while I was away.
What if he had just completed his return flight - and now was back home with a brand new coat?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: AC 25k
The right thing to do (IMO) was to leave the coat at ICN, file a claim with AC, buy a new coat. If AC compensates that's great, if not file baggage claim with TD AE Visa Infinite insurance.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: Free Agent
get your insurance involved and move on.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by jautis
Flew in J to ICN with connection in YVR on Dec. 3rd. FA took coat in YYZ prior to pulling away from gate. Prior to landing in YVR, coat was returned and hung on pod coat hook. On landing, too warm to put coat on, so draped over my arm.

Was 3rd or 4th off plane. Tight connection, marched to MLL quickly to access WIFI/email. Threw coat on lounge club chair and saw straight away in good lighting it was not my coat. Went directly to MLL reception who ran to plane which was still off-loading. Nothing in cupboard. MLL reception had me file a missing luggage claim. Kept wrong coat as needed something to use in cold-ish Korean temperatures. On landing in ICN, also emailed customer relations. Got a reply saying someone would follow-up, never happened.

Day before return flight, emailed YVR concierge and arranged to drop-off 'wrong' coat and asked about my missing coat. Concierge met me on landing in YVR & said my coat had not yet turned up, then took the other coat away.

That was > 10 days ago. Emailed customer relations again, no reply.

Flying out on holiday in a few days. When I get back in a few weeks, no doubt there will be little/no movement from AC to replace the missing coat before winter is ended.

Any suggestions on what I should expect? I realize I didn't spot the error immediately on the plane, but I did recognize the switch within 10 minutes of leaving the plane. If the colour, material and style had not been similar, it would have jumped out immediately to me. Or if I had put the 'tent' on before I deplaned. But I didn't. Does AC have any responsibility here? No ID in the wrong coat, cannot contact the other party directly.

TD AP Visa Infinite will not process a claim for 'lost luggage' until AC closes their file.

I would expect you to buy a new coat. Not trying to be glib, but I don't want to pay higher fares so that the airline can cover these kind of claims.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
In my opinion, the logic of keeping the other person's jacket because the OPs was given to someone else is not professional, and certainly not morally acceptable.

Having said that, to each their own, but I would have returned it at first discovery of the error made.

WRT temperature, I do not believe that it's a good reason. I have been to Regina in -40'C before windchill. Polo, dress pants, and a light windbreaker (I'm an idiot, OK?) - and I lived after saying a chain of expletives after leaving the terminal.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
In my opinion, the logic of keeping the other person's jacket because the OPs was given to someone else is not professional, and certainly not morally acceptable.

Having said that, to each their own, but I would have returned it at first discovery of the error made.

WRT temperature, I do not believe that it's a good reason. I have been to Regina in -40'C before windchill. Polo, dress pants, and a light windbreaker (I'm an idiot, OK?) - and I lived after saying a chain of expletives after leaving the terminal.
Any anesthetics involved in that escapade, Pengy?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Fairly dumb (read: selfish) move to keep the other person's coat... You've decreased his chance of getting his coat returned as well as worn someone else's coat (i.e kept something that doesn't belong to you)

Yes, AC FA made an honest mistake. But you compounded the issue just because you were unable to get your coat returned to you right away.

Mens' coats do all look alike in many respects. Lesson learned, hopefully.

Last edited by xray; Dec 22, 2015 at 9:14 pm
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xray

Mens coats do all look alike in many respects. Lesson learned, hopefully.
Roll-on sky check is also problematic for many.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.