Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada eUpgrade system

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Air Canada eUpgrade system

Sufficiently wasted 1 hour of my life tonight. I'm beyond mad.

So just so people are aware. If someone else upgrades you on one leg (say a SE100K), you cannot upgrade yourself using your own eups on the other leg.

So if you're a sucker like me and has to book RT (because of company policy), beware.

There is no way to split the PNR when there's only one passenger. Double and triple confirmed, and the agents did look at ACpedia.

Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: AC:50K
Can you upgrade someone who doesn't want to be upgraded? I'm imagining deliberately upgrading a short domestic leg on your enemy's multi-hop round-trip international ticket.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cperciva
Can you upgrade someone who doesn't want to be upgraded? I'm imagining deliberately upgrading a short domestic leg on your enemy's multi-hop round-trip international ticket.
GENIUS!

Well, all you need is their AE# And you'd have to give up your nominee slot........so, sure, but it would be at a substantial cost to you!

In fact, I'm pretty sure I can't remove the eup myself without contacting the nominee, which I don't want to bug him with as he's generous enough.

It's a really broken system, this AC eup thing.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
This is well known. If you had, say, 10 days between legs, the outbound would fall off the PNR, and you'd be able to upgrade the return.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Sufficiently wasted 1 hour of my life tonight. I'm beyond mad.

So just so people are aware. If someone else upgrades you on one leg (say a SE100K), you cannot upgrade yourself using your own eups on the other leg.

So if you're a sucker like me and has to book RT (because of company policy), beware.

There is no way to split the PNR when there's only one passenger. Double and triple confirmed, and the agents did look at ACpedia.

Have you flown the outbound leg yet???
Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Have you flown the outbound leg yet???
Well it was YYZ YVR ------- Do -------YVR YYZ

YVR YYZ is confirmed eupgraded. I tried to upgrade YYZ YVR, and it would not let me.

$128 lesson to move to a Z fare on another flight when I had a P fare. GAK

Was on P (narrowbody), went to B (widebody), tried to eup, failed. P was taken magically within 30 minutes, so had to book into a Z fare (narrowbody). UGH.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: AC SE
Surprised you weren't aware of this - it's been discussed on FT before, and AC makes it pretty clear on the eupgrade site: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...des/howto.html

AC is pretty upfront about it, so there really isn't anything 'broken' here.

Travel using another member's eUpgrade Credits

Currently, only one member may sponsor an upgrade per reservation. For instance, if a Super Elite 100K and Prestige 25K member are travelling together on the same booking, it is not possible for the Super Elite 100K member to sponsor an upgrade for the departing flight(s), and for the Prestige 25K member to sponsor an upgrade for the return flight(s).
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gcashin
Surprised you weren't aware of this - it's been discussed on FT before, and AC makes it pretty clear on the eupgrade site: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...des/howto.html

AC is pretty upfront about it, so there really isn't anything 'broken' here.
Yes, I realize that, it was just something that is rarely experienced by members, and I thought I'd find the silver lining from the repercussions from my actions so others don't have to endure the misfortune.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
If I call in and cancel, you still have to hold up your end of the bargain and find a way to use up the refunded credits + the 1 credit left over by Feb 29

edit: come to think of it, I wonder if I'd be pushing the limits of AC customer service if I tweeted @ACAltitude to un-upgrade you? I've pretty much only asked them to choose a seat for me or to find my UA PNR on a multi-carrier ticket ....
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
If I buy you a beer at the DO, will you feel better?
if yes, then count me in so you get over this soon - and I too just wasted an hour on an eupgrade mess last week so I feel your pain.

See you soon
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: AC:50K
Wait, is there a YVR Do which I haven't been invited to?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by cperciva
Wait, is there a YVR Do which I haven't been invited to?
Dec 21 - see thread, but one free beer only available for SAP for the willingness to risk health problems in dealing with AC on something as mundane as upgrade - and now we just added another reason that flying is dangerous for your well-being 💊✈️
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:56 pm
Original Member

GENIUS!

Well, all you need is their AE# And you'd have to give up your nominee slot........so, sure, but it would be at a substantial cost to you!

In fact, I'm pretty sure I can't remove the eup myself without contacting the nominee, which I don't want to bug him with as he's generous enough.

It's a really broken system, this AC eup thing.
It's not broken.

It's intentional design.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 12:17 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
SAP - I feel your pain. Been there, done that. I guess I am surprised that this is the first time you have come across this.

Does this rule also apply for a Travel Companion who is travelling on the same flight (i.e. requests completed at the airport on the day of departure)?

I've upgraded the outbound segment of a round trip, and am looking for someone to upgrade the return. If the rule does apply to Travel Companions, then there is no point in seeking someone else to upgrade me at the airport, as I have invalidated that option by upgrading the outbound leg myself.

Anyone have experience with this?
Old Dec 15, 2015, 3:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KenHamer
It's not broken.

It's intentional design.
Of course it is. Have you never heard of the "intentional design department" at AC? They have a dozen people working in a sweat box trying to make policies that can screw the customer and make them unhappy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.