Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ-YVR-HKG in J

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:27 am
Original Poster

YYZ-YVR-HKG in J

As the title suggests, I am currently scheduled to fly YYZ-YVR-HKG in J in December; then HKG-YVR-YYZ in January. Questions:

1) I am based in MDT and have yet to book the MDT-YYZ-MDT legs. I assume that booking those legs separately will be the most straightforward. . . though the legs cost $600+, which is annoying.

2) Re: the 7-hour wait in Vancouver on the return -- worth leaving the airport?

3) General recommendations re: lounges and seat? I do not fly AC very often.

Thank you
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Just a few thoughts (there's many more experienced people than me on this forum):

1. You probably could have (should have) booked the MDT - YYZ leg with your original YYZ-YVR-HKG booking as it probably would not have cost much extra, if anything at all.

2. A 7 hour wait in Vancouver, I think, is worth leaving the terminal, hopping on the Canada Line and heading downtown to explore the city, maybe rent a bike and bike the seawall, see Stanley Park or if you are with your spouse, do some shopping on Robson. There's also some great restaurants you can try although you will be a bit limited with your time.

3. Can't help you here as I've never flown J on the 777HD. Vancouver has a nice domestic Maple Leaf Lounge.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by hairpeace
As the title suggests, I am currently scheduled to fly YYZ-YVR-HKG in J in December; then HKG-YVR-YYZ in January. Questions:

1) I am based in MDT and have yet to book the MDT-YYZ-MDT legs. I assume that booking those legs separately will be the most straightforward. . . though the legs cost $600+, which is annoying.

Thank you
1. I'd suggest calling Air Canada and asking for the cost to add the MDT legs, although I don't think you can do that without an overnight in either Toronto or Vancouver, since the YVR-HKG leg leaves relatively early in the day.

2. While on the phone with AC, you might ask if they can route you MDT-YYZ-HKG instead, although it's a bit of a tight connection.

3. Whether it's worth leaving the airport will pretty much depend on the weather. There's a direct Skytrain to downtown, and the timing is such that you'd have a couple of good hours to walk around, have a good meal etc. - the downside being that in Vancouver in January there's a 50% chance that it'll be *pouring* rain out. I would say it's a game-day call.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:42 am

MDT-YYZ-HKG is a legal connection, what are you doing going through YVR? The J seat YYZ-HKG is much better than YYZ-YVR-HKG too. As yvrgary recommends I'd change my flights to that and get them to add the MDT legs to your booking.

And switch to HKG-YYZ-MDT too, total travel time under 19 hours... going through YVR will add many hours.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: AC*A
As a YVR native I will try and help you with 2 and 3.

2) I would, like capebretonboy, suggest taking the Canada Line, from YVR Airport to Waterfront, the terminus stop on the line. Be aware, however, that buying a ticket at the airport is a $5 surcharge, so it will be $9 to head to downtown (machines at SkyTrain stations accept Visa/Debit/Coins, but buses only accept coins). Trains run often and take a total of 25 minutes from the Airport station to the Terminus at Waterfront. More info and trip-planning tools: translink.ca.

In Downtown, there are tons of good food options, but it really depends on your price range/tastes. I would recommend Kyzock sushi, which is quite close to the Waterfront station. It is super small inside but its also cheap and tasty! If you aren't in favour of Sushi, I would head West from Waterfront, where more "American" options are available. Pizza Fabrika is a delicious option, which you could get to by walking down waterfront and enjoying the views of the harbour. Prices are around ~$11 for a simple pizza. I would also recommend visiting Stanley Park, by bike if you can. The 19 Bus runs to Stanley Park, which you could connect onto from Waterfront within 90 minutes, but I warn you, it tends to be packed at all times. If you don't want to venture to the Park, I would visit UBC, which has great views of the harbour and tons of bus service or stay downtown and walk around Robson - the Art Gallery, Pacific Centre etc.

3) If you are by yourself, I would select a "throne" seat e.g. 2/4/6A or K. These seats have more storage space, but a smaller "cubby" for your feet.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yvrgary
1. I'd suggest calling Air Canada and asking for the cost to add the MDT legs, although I don't think you can do that without an overnight in either Toronto or Vancouver, since the YVR-HKG leg leaves relatively early in the day.

2. While on the phone with AC, you might ask if they can route you MDT-YYZ-HKG instead, although it's a bit of a tight connection.
1. Would probably have to overnight in Toronto

2. Is YYZ-HKG "new" J?

Thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Like yvrgary mentioned, you should definitely call AC to see how much it would cost to add the MDT-YYZ-MDT legs on for you. Of course, never thought of just changing your routing and flying YYZ-HKG instead. Sounds like better equipment is used for that route. As an added benefit: you will likely fly via the polar route! :-)
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Also relatively new on this but from reading other posts, if you have such a long layover and a J tx, would you be eligible for complementary hotel? On the other hand completely agree with changing tx if possible.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
MDT-YYZ-HKG is a legal connection, what are you doing going through YVR? The J seat YYZ-HKG is much better than YYZ-YVR-HKG too. As yvrgary recommends I'd change my flights to that and get them to add the MDT legs to your booking.
It's a legal connection, but when it includes clearing Customs, it's getting a bit tight, especially in January. If that first flight needs even a little extra de-icing, you're spending the night in Toronto.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:43 am

2. Is YYZ-HKG "new" J?
Likely not new J as AC will only have 1-2 77Ws completed in December. But even if it isn't a 787 style Executive Pod, you'd get a Classic Pod via YYZ vs. the much inferior Studio Pod via YVR.

It's a legal connection, but when it includes clearing Customs, it's getting a bit tight, especially in January. If that first flight needs even a little extra de-icing, you're spending the night in Toronto.
MDT doesn't seem like the kind of place to get backlogged with deicing around 7AM. Winter schedules have some slack built in anyway. It's a risk I'd take vs. just accepting a night in YYZ, unless I 100% had to be in HKG on scheduled arrival day.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life

Thank you
Why the 7 hour layover in YVR? The first connecting flight is only 2 hours. Try to change your flight. 2 red eyes in 1 day is not fun.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)

Thank you
You should consider just booking MDT-HKG ... perhaps cancel your flight if you can? You can cancel 24 hours without penalty

Example:
Old Nov 15, 2015, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
try to avoid the stop in YVR, that plane is the dreaded 777HD, and the stop in YVR adds to your travel time.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
On MDT-YYZ-HKG you would not have to clear customs or security. Just a quick passport check and onwards to the next gate. The MDTYYZ flight could be delayed by 30 minutes and you should still make the next flight.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by flybit
try to avoid the stop in YVR, that plane is the dreaded 777HD, and the stop in YVR adds to your travel time.
Pax is flying in J so it's not that bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.