Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YOW-LGA on ACx, What side of CRJ to sit on for best view?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Any frequent travellers on the MTL/OTT <> LGA commute?
Couple friends flying YOW>LGA this week and they'd love a view of Manhattan skyline into LGA.

Any insight? The flight will be early AM
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Any frequent travellers on the MTL/OTT <> LGA commute?
Couple friends flying YOW>LGA this week and they'd love a view of Manhattan skyline into LGA.

Any insight? The flight will be early AM
Winds will be the factor which side to sit on. Maybe seat in the same seats in and out of NY, so if the winds are the same, they will see the skyline on one of their legs.

Last edited by Wpgjetse; Nov 3, 2015 at 12:43 pm
Old Nov 3, 2015, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Winds will be the factor which side to sit on. Maybe seat in the same seats in and out if NY, so if the winds are the same, they will see the skyline on one of their legs.
Unless winds change over the weekend, of course.
Just thought there might be a "typical" approach from the NW early AM before flow control kicked in.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 12:32 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Unless winds change over the weekend, of course.
Just thought there might be a "typical" approach from the NW early AM before flow control kicked in.
I'd say to check the last batches of flight paths:

http://flightaware.com/live/findflig...stination=KLGA

I've gone over (or close to Manhattan on YYZ, but looks like YOW-LGA just heads straight down.

Edit: Although I didn't even think about the actual landing itself, per the wind direction comments.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Look at the maps of approach paths (on Flight Radar or Flight Aware) from this morning (or a recent morning when the wind was blowing in the same direction it's due to blow on the day in question). Will tell you what route the planes were taking.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
I'm on the morning flight pretty regularly. Standard approach is from the north landing on runway 22. You would need to be on the right hand side of the plane to catch a glimpse of the skyline - but its not much on that approach.

If winds don't allow for that approach, quite often you fly right over Manhattan (East to West) with a sharp turn right over the island. In that case, left side is better but you still get a view on the right. So i'd always choose the right hand side for any chance to see the skyline.

Now, if they are flexible, try YOW-EWR on UA. You almost always get a fantastic view of the city on approach (left hand side). Also, if they are staying in Manhattan, its easier to get into the city from EWR and the direct UA flight is usually less expensive than AC to LGA.

Edit: I forgot that the EWR flight only has one seat on the left hand side of the plane so maybe not the right choice.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
As others have noted, it will be wind-dependent. I would pick the left-hand side on the way down though, because if you get lucky and land the right direction, you'll fly all the way down Manhattan and turn south of the island. That view beats anything that can be had out the right-hand side of the plane.

Originally Posted by martyYOW
Now, if they are flexible, try YOW-EWR on UA. You almost always get a fantastic view of the city on approach (left hand side). Also, if they are staying in Manhattan, its easier to get into the city from EWR and the direct UA flight is usually less expensive than AC to LGA.

Edit: I forgot that the EWR flight only has one seat on the left hand side of the plane so maybe not the right choice.
Depends which part of Manhattan. For midtown and uptown, LGA is much more convenient than EWR. For downtown, EWR might be a better bet.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by martyYOW
I'm on the morning flight pretty regularly. Standard approach is from the north landing on runway 22. You would need to be on the right hand side of the plane to catch a glimpse of the skyline - but its not much on that approach.

If winds don't allow for that approach, quite often you fly right over Manhattan (East to West) with a sharp turn right over the island. In that case, left side is better but you still get a view on the right. So i'd always choose the right hand side for any chance to see the skyline.

This. I LOVE LOVE LOVE when they're forced to make a circle back over Manhattan. I always sit in 1A for these rare occurrences, definitely worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.