Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: YYZ-OCG - Miles redemption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: YYZ-OCG - Miles redemption

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2015, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE50K, Marriott Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
YYZ-OCG - Miles redemption

Hi All,

Its been few years since I did aeroplan redemption. So need your expertise folks.....or if someone can direct me where to look for as I tred to search and could't find a perfect solution (maybe there isn't)

I plan to take my family (2 Adults 2 children) to Maui (for our 10th anniversary) from Toronto next year....probably in November (1st choice) or between august and October. I plan to use my points to book the business class flight to maui for 3 as 1 is infant. I have seen flights mostly with Air canada rouge with 2 stops making it between 15-17 hrs flight....

Anyway to shorten the time and find a Air canada flight not rogue on this route? Any other route that will give me all business/first class redemption?

Any other ideas?

Thank you for your help in this
Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:52 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
YYC-OGG is not Rouge, so you could fly YYZ-YYC-OGG. It's seasonal though, running early November to early February for winter 2015/16. Next year's schedule isn't out yet, of course, but word on the street seems to have been the route is staying mainline. Then again, with Rouge getting more 767s, maybe they will switch it. Who knows.

Your other option would be to look at United. The Aeroplan website is biased to thowing up Air Canada routes (including Rouge), so the best way to find availability is look for it individually - search for SFO-OGG or LAX-OGG, then search for YYZ-SFO/LAX. Or you can search the United website, looking for availability in Saver awards. Or use the ANA tool. There are threads on how to do those elsewhere on the AC FT.

You might also want to consider flying to HNL on your Aeroplan tickets and then buying your own HNL-OGG-HNL on Hawaiian as it may expand your options considerably. UA flies to HNL, at least at some times of the year, from EWR, ORD, DEN, SFO, LAX, maybe others. Those are all one stop from YYZ.

On the plus side, United doesn't charge fuel surcharges, so you're likely to pay fewer charges on your ticket than if your route stays on Air Canada.

There's a good chance though that whatever you do, with Aeroplan, there will be no "perfect" solution. You will end up compromising on dates, on number of stops, on time spent on the journey, etc. Such is often the price of getting tickets on points.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 7:29 am
Original Poster

thank you so much...so far the dates I was playing around with was giving me AC option with rogue or 2 stop flights with Rogue and UA...

Will consider the Honolulu option.....I have seen direct flights on AC to HNL.on marketfare with same points (for economy).and maybe stay couple of nights and go to maui....

will do some more searching!
Old Oct 29, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by adam.smith
UA flies to HNL, at least at some times of the year, from EWR, ORD, DEN, SFO, LAX, maybe others. Those are all one stop from YYZ.
They also fly from IAD.

If you fly EWR-HNL, IAD-HNL or the occasional SFO-HNL you will be on an international configured aircraft (Pods) although I prefer the EWR/IAD B764 myself.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adam.smith
YYC-OGG is not Rouge, so you could fly YYZ-YYC-OGG. It's seasonal though, running early November to early February for winter 2015/16. Next year's schedule isn't out yet, of course, but word on the street seems to have been the route is staying mainline. Then again, with Rouge getting more 767s, maybe they will switch it. Who knows.

Your other option would be to look at United. The Aeroplan website is biased to thowing up Air Canada routes (including Rouge), so the best way to find availability is look for it individually - search for SFO-OGG or LAX-OGG, then search for YYZ-SFO/LAX. Or you can search the United website, looking for availability in Saver awards. Or use the ANA tool. There are threads on how to do those elsewhere on the AC FT.

You might also want to consider flying to HNL on your Aeroplan tickets and then buying your own HNL-OGG-HNL on Hawaiian as it may expand your options considerably. UA flies to HNL, at least at some times of the year, from EWR, ORD, DEN, SFO, LAX, maybe others. Those are all one stop from YYZ.

On the plus side, United doesn't charge fuel surcharges, so you're likely to pay fewer charges on your ticket than if your route stays on Air Canada.

There's a good chance though that whatever you do, with Aeroplan, there will be no "perfect" solution. You will end up compromising on dates, on number of stops, on time spent on the journey, etc. Such is often the price of getting tickets on points.

is it possible to break the trip in 2? Can I stay a night in SFO and then go to maui as there is a 6 hrs layover in SFO....i want to avoid that long layover is possible

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.